Differences betwen Castrol Tection & Castro Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between Castrol Tection & Castrol Diesel 15w40 oil ???
dunno.gif

I saw Tection at AutoZone today - Buy 2 gallons, get the 3rd gallon Free.....no rebate needed.

I did a search of all diesel topics/posts/UOA's and I could not find any info. Thanks

I saw a case of the Castrol Diesel 15W40 quarts at Pep Boys today myself. Since the Techtion is fairly new, I bet the regular diesel oil is just old stock.

maybe the Oz people can speak up, but it seemed to me I was seeing the Tection product on the Aus. site for quite a while before it started becoming available in the US. My impression was that it was just being offered here as a new market, but that the brand has been around quite a while. This would also make me think that the C Diesel is just old stock.

the castrol diesel is the old dryden diesel all.witch was castrol heavyduty oil side that went bankrupped a few years ago.

When I read the back of the bottles on Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40 and then Tection Extra 15W-40 gallon jug, the GTX Diesel read like a car oil that was now 15W-40 (probably with some appropriate additive package changes) whereas the Tection Extra 15W-40 mentioned "ZDDP" specifically in its descriptive dialogue. The Tection Extra 15W-40 was an "SL" rating whereas the GTX Diesel was "SM"--for what that's worth. I did this research at Pep Boys a few months ago. Tection Extra also has other diesel-related approvals and ratings.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

They are BOTH current products and are aimed at different end uses...

Castrol GTX Diesel (used to be called RX Super) is formulated for diesel cars, pickups and light trucks up to class 2.

See http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetail.do?categoryId=82915482&contentId=6031107

Castrol Tection Extra is formulated and aimed at larger commercial diesel powered trucks from class 3 on up and diesel ag equipment.

See http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetail.do?categoryId=9001936&contentId=7003181

tection isnt nessassairly formulated for larger engines because its still api "sl" rated meaning it can be used in anything from a large diesel to a small diesel to a little geo metro or a chevy 350, even a push lawnmower.

it doesnt really make sence that castrol markets 2 basically similar spec oils for what is essentially the same "mixed fleet" market. i just dont understand.

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:
it doesnt really make sence that castrol markets 2 basically similar spec oils for what is essentially the same "mixed fleet" market. i just dont understand.

I agree completely!!

I also am not a fan of name changes for products that really don't require them. Why did Castrol (BP) need to change the name from RX Super to GTX Diesel? To my knowledge, what's in the bottle has not changed.

The only possible positive is that when Pep Boys (and others) run sales on "any grade of GTX" will the Diesel version now be included? It never used to be when it was called "RX Super"...which was annoying.

Advance Auto has the GTX on sale for $1.98 qt, and it includes the 15w40 GTX Diesel. I just bought 5 qts, going in an '86 Volvo.

Good job for a first post jack...
I bought a bunch of Tection back when it was 3 for 15.00 at AA. Got the rebate, making Tection 3.00 a gallon. I'm thinking the buy 2 get 1 with the rebate would be pretty sweet too.

In the normal USA market "Castrol GTX" has been around since the early 1970s. The name has more consumer awareness than the "RX Super" name--in the USA. Other venues might be different. Unless there have been some reverse-engineered analysis of the 15W-40 GTX Diesel and the RX Super, to claim they are "the same" (although they might seem to be) could be incorrect.

I would classify the Tection to be for "over-the-road" style diesels, but which could also be used in older vehicles that might need the extra ZDDP it might have. The Castrol website, in some cases, has some specs on various additives in the oil (incl. ZDDP)--for oils which have an "SL" and "SM" rating. It takes more than some extra ZDDP to make up the OTR orientated additive package. In any case, look for the OEM approvals to see if either GTX Diesel or Tection Plus are what you might need for your more modern vehicles.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

WindnSea,

You probably could not tell the difference between the two oils, except the price.

If you like Delo, AAP has it on closeout......but only the quarts, not the gallon jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back