2002 VW TDI & Mobil 1 0W-40??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is more important...having an oil that meets the VW 505 spec or meet the CF4 or CG4 spec (both called for in owners manual)? I've used the Delvac 1 oil but it is harder to find near my home (~100 miles to store). I've also purchased Castrol TXT 505 01 oil from the dealer (have to go from 8 to 5 Monday through Saturday). I've been looking to buy the Mobil 1 5W-40 Truck & SUV but I haven't found it in my area. The Castrol is probably the best match as it states it was made for the TDI engine. I picked up 6 qts of the 0W-40 at Checker tonight because it was handy. Anybody have any input? Stick with the 0W-40 or go back to the dealer for the Castrol?

Are you buying Delvac 1 from a retailer, or directly from a local Mobil distributor? The only place that carries it around my parts is a distributor and the price is fair compared what a retailer would want.

All of your picks (on the 2002 VW TDI) are 6 of one, half doz of the other. All will work well. For my .02 cents, on a 2003 VW TDI I am running Delvac One 5w40 aka Mobil One Truck and Suv 5w40 AND with 25,000 mile OCI's. It is one of the better oils in the Mobil Line. It meets the CI-4 standard which is higher than either the CF4 or CG4 AND it is backward compatible. If I were not running the Mobil One T & S, I would be running the Mobil One 0w40.

Don't forget ELF for 505.01 tdi's:

EXCELLIUM DID 5W40

Elf synthetics technology lubricant with very high performance intended for lubricating all gas and diesel engines in cars, particularly last Volkswagen technologies with direct injection. Specially developed to ensure maximum protection over extended oil-change intervals.

API: SJ/CF
ACEA: A3/B3
VW: 500.00/505.00/505.01 Suitable for 502.00
FORD

GlennV,

What oil specifications does your VW owner's call for?

Here's my $.02

If I had a pump-duse VW TDI that called for 505.01 rated oil, there are only 3 that I would use:

1. Castrol 505.01
2. Elf DID 5w40 (see above)
3. Motul 5w40 505.01 approved

IMO, those engines are too darned expensive to take chances with non 505.01 oils.

I think VW should have made their numbering system different for diesel-engine oil specs. That way that could have used 500 #'s for gas & 600 #'s for diesel. VW 505.01 & 505.00 are too easily confused & they are NOT interchangeable. OK, Rant off.
smile.gif

505.01 is only required for 2004 and newer US TDIs. If I had a non-PD engine, I'd run anything from Rotella T to Delvac in it. No need to worry about cam lobe wear in the pre-PD engines.

As for my 2004 PD,
I have run 505.01 in it and it performed well with a good UOA. I now have 507.00 with 8900 miles on it and I'll pull an oil sample when it gets dumped at 10,000 miles. My next fill will probably be 506.01 Ow-30. This lighter energy conserving oil combined with a .681 5th gear(soon to be added) should put me consistently over 50 mpg at 80 mph.

Answer to a few of the questions. The Delvac 1 I was purchasing came from a distributor in Albuquerque (~100 miles from my home). My owners manual for my 2002 Golf states the following regarding the oil:
Synthetic 5W-40
VW 505.00
ACEA B3 or B4
API CF4 or CG4
I can get the Castrol TXT 505 01 from the local VW dealer, I just need to get over there when they are open. According to the label on the bottle it was formulated specifically for the VW TDI engine (doesn't specifiy model year). I think the Delvac 1 was very good but I had to go out of my way to get it. If I could/can find the Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 (Delvac 1?) I could use it in both my VW and my Jeep. Although the specs for the Delvac 1 and the Mobil 1 Truck & SUV appear the same the FAQ page on Mobil's site claims they have different additive packages. The website states that the Mobil 1 can be used for gas and diesel engines were their Delvac 1 was formulated primarily for diesels. ????

Any more thoughts on the use of Mobil 1 0W-40 in a 2002 VW TDI? As stated my first choice is the Delvac 1 but it isn't locally (<100 miles) available. Can't find the Mobil 1 T&SUV 5W-40 locally. Purchased Mobil 1 0W-40 because it is listed as VW 505.00 but doesn't show a CF-4 or CG-4 rating any thoughts???

Yeah - more thoughts.
I happily have the same car. Check the UOA section and you'll order Delvac 1 and have it delivered to your doorstep! There are advertisers on this site with great products and service. Why not support them and get the best for your car? M1 0w40 no, D1 yes, Schaeffer's 9000 yes, Amsoil 5w40 yes, and many others that are a lot better than the M1 0w40. Glenn, you have a great number of good choices, don't be compromised.

Mercedes-Bemz recommends Mobil 1 0w-40 for their new CDI diesels. I had a 2002 TDI and ran Delvac 1 at 10,000-12,000 OCI without problems. Mobil 1 Truck and SUV is the same stuff. Caterpillar dealers also sell a re-labeled version of Delvac1. Shell Rotella T 5w-40 is also acceptable and is available at Wal-Mart. You will be well served by any of the above.

Boy do I feel stupid. I just now noticed that I posted this in the Car and Truck GAS Engine Oil forum and not the diesel engine oil forum. I started off looking in here for oil suggestions for my Jeep then forgot to change forums. Sadly, I've been back several times and didn't notice my mistake until tonight. Sorry guys my goof. I'll pay more attention next time.

my personal hierarchy for oil selection since i don't think anyone directly answered the question:

1. manufacturer spec 505.xx for vw diesels. my 02 is 505.00. (they made the engine, didn't they?)

2. "country of origin" oil specs, for euro cars, acea a3 b3 b4 for my 02 tdi. i understand that acea has a c rating system for diesels that is new (or at least newer than our 02).

3. api cx spec.

What is the relabelled M1 product at Caterpillar dealers Called?

We can't get D1 or T&SUV up here in Canada...but there's plenty of Cat dealers.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
What is the relabelled M1 product at Caterpillar dealers Called?

We can't get D1 or T&SUV up here in Canada...but there's plenty of Cat dealers.

The product you want is Cat DEO SYN 5w40:
http://ohe.cat.com/cda/files/309276/7/PEHP7062-02.pdf

For comparison, here is Delvac 1 synthetic 5w40:
http://www.delvac.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_5W-40.asp

Same pour point (-45 C), same flash point (226 C), same viscosity index (151), same sulfated ash (1.35%), same TBN (12).

Viscosity (cSt @ 100 C) is identical at 14.8

But viscosity (cSt @ 40 C) is NOT identical. Not sure if this is a typo, or a minor difference in formulation.

There is a note at the bottom of the Cat DEO sheet that says "The values shown are typical values and should not be used as quality control parameters to either accept or reject product. Specifications are subject to change without notice. "

quote:

Originally posted by GlennV:
Any more thoughts on the use of Mobil 1 0W-40 in a 2002 VW TDI? As stated my first choice is the Delvac 1 but it isn't locally (strong>

i use the mobil 1 0w40 in my 2000 beetle tdi it meet's all the specs 505.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back