Oilf for VW TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an 04 golf TDI.. the dealer just did a LOF, and used castrol syntec 5w-40

I have a feeling thats not the right oil for the diesel? Would mobil 1 0w40 work? Because i can get the 0-40 for free....

What is best in the gearbox also? And any fuel additive suggestions?

Does that car call for a VW 505.01 rated oil? If so, then yes, the dealer used the wrong oil. If you need a 505.01 rated oil, the most convenient place to get it is at a VW dealer. Castrol makes the VW dealer-supplied 505.01 rated oil.

There are online sources for VW 505.01 approved oil, but it seems like a $$$ bust when you consider shipping charges.

If that particular VW does NOT call for a 505.01 rated oil, then the M1 0w40 & the Syntec 5w40 would both work fine, as they are both VW 502.00 rated.

From your description the PD TDI 04 (model year up) needs VW 505.01 So if the Castrol 5w40 meets those standards you are good. On the Mobil One 0w40, while it is just fine for mine, (VW 505.00) I do not believe it is certified for the VW 505.01.

Gearbox (I assume you are speaking of 5 speed manual transmission) probably the over priced (reputed to be synthetic) stock fluid is the best. Some folks have used Redline , but the problem is some folks have posted the shifting gets persnickity some times and at times with the Redline.

quote:

Originally posted by OdinsRage:
I just bought an 04 golf TDI.. the dealer just did a LOF, and used castrol syntec 5w-40

I have a feeling thats not the right oil for the diesel? Would mobil 1 0w40 work? Because i can get the 0-40 for free....

What is best in the gearbox also? And any fuel additive suggestions?

The dealer used the WRONG oil. For your PD-TDI engine you should only use a 505.01 rated oil. The only 505.01 rated Castrol oil available in North America is Castrol TXT 5W-40.

Personally I use Redline MTL in my 5-speed gearbox and it works pretty well. If I had an automatic, I'd use Redline D4 ATF.

Are you sure they used Syntec 5w40? Does the invoice say Castrol Syntec 5w40, or just Castrol 5w40?

The VW 505.01 rated oil that the dealer should have used would probably show up on their invoice as "Castrol 5w40".

the window sticker says 5w40 and has a check mark by syntec...

So is that the only oil i can use? the dealer oil?

Castrol Syntec 5w-40 is rated for gasoline and diesel use in Volkswagens, but does NOT support the 505.01 required by the new VW PD diesels.

Chances are they used Castrol TXT (there have been several TSBs on the correct oil for these different engines) 5w-40, which would explain why they marked that on your windows sticker.

My local VW dealer uses Castrol TXT and Syntec 5-40 for the appropriate engines.

No, the dealer's oil is not your only choice. You do have a limited number of domestically available options for 505.01 oil. Motul, Elf, Pentosin, Quaker State and Lubro-Moly have 505.01 rated oils however, none of these you will likely find at your local auto parts store. I suggest you check out the oil related forum at tdi club for more information and resources.

RP 15w40
blush.gif

No frills no fuss just good value!!

quote:

If that particular VW does NOT call for a 505.01 rated oil, then the M1 0w40 & the Syntec 5w40 would both work fine, as they are both VW 502.00 rated.

VW 502 is a gas engine oil specs. Many VW 502-rated oils also carry the bread-and-butter diesel engine oil spec VW 505.00.

In case of the PD diesel engine, a VW 505.01-rated oil must be used.

In a regular VW diesel engine a VW 505.00-rated oil is fine, but a VW 505.01 or a VW 507-rated oil is also approved.

According to VW, if the 505.01 oil is not used, you risk sudden and dangerous engine failure. They state that the sudden engine failure can cause loss of control that may result in an accident.
Besides, they will void your warranty in a heart beat if you use the wrong oil.

Here is what I would recommend.

EXCELLIUM DID 5W40

Elf synthetics technology lubricant with very high performance intended for lubricating all gas and diesel engines in cars, particularly last Volkswagen technologies with direct injection. Specially developed to ensure maximum protection over extended oil-change intervals.

API: SJ/CF
ACEA: A3/B3
VW: 500.00/505.00/505.01 Suitable for 502.00
FORD

Thanks & Good Luck - Hardy

Check the reciept and call the dealer. Let them confirm that they used the proper spec oil. If they did the oil change and you know they put in a Castrol product I'd wager they used the correct oil. Last time I bought oil from them they didn't carry a full line of Castrol oil, just the 505.01. Why would they want to cut sales on their VW badged oil?

It's not just sales, it's shear stability...Until VW says any other oil is as shear stable(besides the exspensive alternatives) I would just use the TXT the dealer does. It's available and doesn't require shipping or other time consuming means.

Now for my 505.00 engine, once my free dealer changes run out I will happily use Belgium 5w40 Syntec or any other oil with meets or exceeds the 505.00 spec. Warrenty or not, it takes one less worry off my mind.

*Injection Pump, Timing Belt, Turbo......

Well, they did use the correct oil. I bought some motul 505.01 for myself, but now I want to use the 506.01 elf, that is 0w30 and claims 8-10 percent MPG increase, and lots of TDI owners say its true.

VW 506.01 oil is low HTHS oil. I would not ever use that in an engine that requires VW 505.01 or VW 505.00. You can however use an oil that meets VW 504/507. These latest oils are 5W-30 with HTHS=3.5 and should offer better gas mileage compared to VW 505.01 and VW 505.00 spec oils.

Moribundman,
I have 9000 miles on my 507.00 oil in my 2004 Wagon and the gain in fuel economy is about 1 mpg in the summer and little if any difference in winter driving. My decision to continue with this oil will be baed on an UOA when it reaches 10,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back