A Bowl of Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chili. (From the title of Frank X. Tolbert's 1972 book).

Frank had a string of chili parlors here in Dallas before he passed away (and after a long career as a newspaperman), but since then, a good bowl is about impossible to find.

When Larry Levine started Chili's on Greenville Ave in 1975, there was always chili for the asking. Since a giant company took it over -- and Chili's completely lost its way (the food is atrocious, have tried it four times in three states this past year) -- I wonder if this meal is simply not liked very much, outside of say of a few locales.

Cool weather is coming. What was the best bowl you ever had? I've been revising a chili recipe this evening, and have been reviewing the when, the where, the how-hot and the kind of hot . . did it have depth of flavor, etc, according to memory.

The recipe I work from has several kinds of chile peppers (mild to hot), and the ingredients are otherwise as fresh as possible (or homemade). It's truly good (if one likes the original Texas style, updated somewhat).

Here's one from about the turn of the century in San Antonio:

According to legend, this is one of the Chili Queen's original recipes. Some changes have been made in order to take advantage of modern ingredients. Note the heavy use of cumin and oregano.

Flour for dredging

2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into ½ -inch cubes

1 pound pork shoulder, cut into ½ -inch cubes

1/4 cup suet

1/4 cup pork fat

3 medium onions, chopped

6 cloves garlic, minced

1 quart water

4 ancho chiles, seeds and stems removed, rehydrated and chopped fine

1 serrano chile, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine

6 dried red New Mexican chiles, seeds and stems removed, reydrated and chopped fine

1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin

2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

Lightly flour the beef and pork cubes. In a large pot, quickly fry the meat in the suet and pork fat, stirring often. Add the onions and garlic and saute until they are tender and limp. Remove all pieces of fat. Add the water to the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.

Grind the chiles in a molcajete or blender. Add to the meat mixture. Add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for an additional 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises, and serve.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Heat Scale: Medium

Your thoughts?

That will simply have no heat. But otherwise I'm fraggin' starving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that looks more like traditional Chili Colorado (which I love) - lots of oregano.

Agreed, it is mild. What most folks want. Yet it does have the virtue of nice flavor.

The suet and lard (leaf lard, rendered) are key to the taste, as integral as pepper pods versus store-bought powder. I use about 1/3 cup total and skim some during cooking. Chili doesn't need to be served in a mixing bowl.

That recipe is the basis of what I've working off the past year, have made chili about a dozen times. I'm now using a mixture of New Mexicans, Pasilla's plus a triple Jalapeno dose with a Scotch Bonnet to top off. Am pretty close to that "my head is respiring real well" without ruining the flavor. Spiciness versus heat as I saw in another thread; getting the balance right.

Still, outside the ubiquitous "cookoff", do any of you all have a good diner with chili you'd drive a ways for?

I'm a little surprised at the appeal to many of adding whole, roasted tomatoes and something sweet to that original recipe. Semi-sweet chocolate or brown sugar have been popular in the feedback I've gotten.

Might be a Texan thing, what with great barbecue so easy to find and the appeal of sweet tea.

dunno.gif

Big ol chunk of Swiss cheese melted in is good. All resturants I've ever tried Chili at cut corners 'till homeade is better. (of course I don't eat steak "out" anymore either).

Bob

I'm sure my chilli wouldn't win any contests, I'm not aiming for authenticity. And I'll also admit to taking a few shortcuts.

Having said that, I grind cumin in a mortar in pestle before adding (not really even sure if this helps but it sure smells fantastic!)

I've had a bit of a pepper dilema. I used to get these Chipotle peppers that were great (smoked jalapenos). But i can no longer find Chipotles form this particular brand name. The chipotles i get from the other brands just aren't the same. They just don't carry as much of the smokey flavor.

I plan on doing an experiment with "Liquid Smoke" concentrate which i got from the spice shop.

My newest batch had a lot of the mild poblano peppers. Thus people who don't typically like hot foods might like my chilli. (thus some of you might argue that i'm not really making true 'chilli'.)

Someone just told me i ought to add a little bakers chocolate to my chilli. Apparently someone this is not unheard of.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like AAA-whole burning chili. Your recipe sounds great. I gave up long ago on restaurant chili.

I made a batch of chili with my own cherry smoked brisket. That was GOOD and REAL smoke.

skate - what brand of chipotles did you use before?

I would try to smoke my own jalapenos, but they aren't turning red!

Pablo, I can't remember the brand name of Chipotles. But they came in a clear package/bag whith a paper top/cover stapled on the top. They were sold by Whole Foods/Fresh Fields.

quote:

Originally posted by skate1968:
I'm sure my chilli wouldn't win any contests, I'm not aiming for authenticity. And I'll also admit to taking a few shortcuts.

Having said that, I grind cumin in a mortar in pestle before adding (not really even sure if this helps but it sure smells fantastic!)

I've had a bit of a pepper dilema. I used to get these Chipotle peppers that were great (smoked jalapenos). But i can no longer find Chipotles form this particular brand name. The chipotles i get from the other brands just aren't the same. They just don't carry as much of the smokey flavor.

My newest batch had a lot of the mild poblano peppers. Thus people who don't typically like hot foods might like my chilli. (thus some of you might argue that i'm not really making true 'chilli'.)

Someone just told me i ought to add a little bakers chocolate to my chilli. Apparently someone this is not unheard of.

Authenticity is relevant as to taste buds: If they did it "right" back then, well, I'm interested in recreating it using best ingredients. See what the exact appeal was. And then experimenting from there.

As to whether it is hot and spicy is a matter of individual appeal.

I certainly believe in fresh grinding the comino seeds and oregano. As well as the salt and black pepper, to size and to being fresh respectively.

I serve the beans on the side, with saltines. Or cornbread. At Christmas eve it is chili with bean, pork and bean tamales. Grated cheddar for those who want it, as well, avocado.

I didn't mean to start an argumnt over purity, but as a point of beginning. Tolbert and some others were the originators of the Terlingua Chili Cookoff back in '67, here's his version as served in his parlors:

3 lbs lean beef
1/8 pound rendered beef kidney suet (if you want to go for it)
1 tsp each oregano, cumin powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Tabasco
3 tbsp chile powder (optional)
4 hot chile peppers
At least two chopped cloves of garlic
2 tsp masa harina, cornmeal, or flour (optional)

Sear beef in a 4qt+ Dutch oven or skillet. You may need a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking. When the meat is all gray, add suet and chile peppers and about two inches of liquid (you can use water, I use beer). Simmer for 30 min. Add spices and garlic, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Add more liquid only to keep the mix from burning. Skim off as much grease as you can, and add masa harina. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust spices if necessary.

WARNING: this is spicy chili, so leave out some of the spicy stuff in the beginning if you have a tender tongue. At this point, I refrigerate the chili overnight which allows the chili to mellow and you can skim off all the grease

Have you ever substituted beer for the water?

Oops. This was in response to your first recipe. I see that you use beer for the other recipe.

Do you guys order chili colorado in Mexican restaurants ever? I know it's not Texas chili but I actually have found some good stuff in the hole in the wall places in Cali and a few in WA.

My wife likes chili verde better also. I'm not a tomatillo lover, but I'll tolerate a good verde.

A good rich colorado......emmm good. Hot tort-till-laws....dang.....

sprintman, empty a masterfoods jar of cayenne powder into a bottle of Vodka, and leave it a month (shake every evening).

A teaspoon of the stuff lifts your head clean off.

Good for dares.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I'm not a tomatillo lover, but I'll tolerate a good verde.

I like them but sometimes in chili, they turn out really fibrous and stringy and that's never good! Or maybe it's a different ingredient in some verdes that does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back