Favorite hot sauce???

Status
Not open for further replies.
being somewhat of a sissy, or my irish heritage just doesn't lend itself to hot sauces, texas pete for fried chicken, eggs, etc..franks redhot for wings. i also like the cholula for a change once in a while. the dollar store close by had nice sized bottles of the tapatio recently. weird, i don't like red peppers, or green ones for that matter, but i love hot sauce...or medium sauce if ya will......

i tried one at a party once. had the dang grim reaper on the top. should have known better. beer, broads, and bikes do that to folks at times.
blush.gif

has anybody tried a mexican sauce called valentina? its really good in chicken soup and on top of regular potato chips,its not as hot as others but is has a really good flavor

Yeah! I put Valentina on tortilla chips (along with a squeeze of lime) for a snack sometimes if I don't have time/ingredients to make salsa. I can get it for literally like $1 a bottle! Chicken soup though?

I absolutely LOVE hot, spicy foods but my heart can't handle 'em no more. Still have a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce in my fridge though- once every fifth blue moon I'll throw just a tad in some Nalley's Chili. My heart still reminds me, unfortunately...

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Good call on Pico-Pica and Tapatio, Jimbo, I like those for Mexican foods, along with the Buffalo line-up.

omg i still smell the pico pica in my brain from my childhood. My dad was a general contractor remodeling the pico pica plant in LA. You seriously could not breath in that building the air was so thick w/ hot sauce. HUGE vats of pico pica. of course i was 4' tall so...

-

quote:

Originally posted by aztec12:
has anybody tried a mexican sauce called valentina? its really good in chicken soup and on top of regular potato chips,its not as hot as others but is has a really good flavor

That's my favorite on tacos, burritos, etc.
Tapatio comes in second, and El Yucateca is very good too. I like the more natural looking brownish version compared to the goofy nitro-green version that seems to be more popular. Something about that color just bothers me.

A. Nibbs, Sons & Daughters' hot sauce from Tortola, BVI.

It comes in recycled glass bottles, real homemade red hot sauce with thyme and oils mixed. I really enjoy it.

I also like hot peper vinegar for addition to some stuff. We just get it from the locals in the USVI.

Ive stopped buying store bought hot sauces since finding these items.

JMH

We just got back from a local market and we had Salvadoran Pupusas (cheese and bean) for lunch topped with some mild chili mix out of a big pot. I saw a guy grab a bottle of sauce and added that as well. It turned out to Tapatio and he just happens to sell it so I bought a bottle. Not that hot but tasty. Good stuff.

The best hot sauce I have eaten is certainly not a name brand. I really like the homemade green sauce made in some local Mexican restaurants. I've tried to emulate it, but, always come up short.

I'll need to explore the Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan markets for those. Other than Sambal Olek I haven't tried too many of their jarred varieties.

I honestly get stuck trying to make a decision with the local fire sauces and Mexican/So.-central American varieties. I must only buy 3 or 4 bottles at a time....on second thought this logic may be flawed
smile.gif
128.gif

Chalula without question. Put that on some home made spanish rice............arghhuuuuuuummmm (Homer Simpson gorging sound
grin.gif
)

Frank's "Red Hot" Cayenne Pepper hot sauce is mighty good as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back