Great Coffee-Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can't keep a secret any longer. I've found this online coffee store that has great coffee.

Mininmum order is 5lbs but man is it worth it. Shipped to my door is usually less than $5/lb and it's roasted the day that you order, so fresh isn't even the word.

You can smell it from the box when the UPS man drops it off.

Anyhow here is the link:
http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/

BTW this coffee is better than starbucks or any other that I have found at a store. I don't know about the $10/lb stuff though, I"m not going to pay that for coffee. I'll stick with this stuff.

I've been getting the French Roast for the last 4 months. I started out with the "house blend". It's supposed to be like the starbucks house blend, but better. And it is.
I just like my coffee stronger.

Oh and BTW, to make good coffee you need a good grinder.

I just bought a new manual "hand grinder"

It's made in Germany by a company called Zassenhaus. It's a conical Burr grinder, called a mill.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.shtml

The Box Mill is the traditional Zassenhaus design. Beans are filled through a small door into the hopper and then enter the patented Zassenhaus conical burrs. It's immediately apparent when you handle a Zassenhaus how remarkably functional and simplified they are: these are precision instruments built sturdy for everyday use and made of fine materials ... not an antique reproduction to decorate a kitchen shelf. The handle is designed for good leverage and, like most of the mechanism, is a heavy gauge chromed stainless steel. The Box Mill's drawer holds enough for 6 cups. Like all Zassenhaus grinders featured here, there is a 10 year guarantee on the grinding mechanism. 4.5" w x 4.5"l x 8" h.
 -

Mine looks like this, except it has an exposed hopper. I've used it on 2 pots so far.
Talk about old school.

One of the things about the manual grinder is that the grind is very consistant, and there is no heat transferred to the beans becuase it's so slow. It takes about 2-3 minutes to grind enough for a 12 cup pot. You have to do 2 hoppers or so to get enough coffee, depending on how strong you like it.

I like my coffee strong, and use about 1 cup of grounds per 12 cup pot.

[ August 11, 2005, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Hey, another fan of hand burr grinders! My Zassenhaus is similar but rectangular. The warrantee expired a few of years ago, which gives you an idea of its age. It is used nearly every day at home. I bring it on car-camping trips too (why not have good coffee all the time??) and it comes in very handy when the power goes out.

I'm a French Press guy. Tastes better than drip (IMO) and uses a coarse grind, which speeds the grinding process.

The only possible replacement for my Zassenhausen is another Zassenhaus. They have a wall-mount grinder which I covet.

MS, do you have any pictures of the internal workings of a conical burr grinder?

What kind of oil do you use in it?
grin.gif

Does making coffee in those high pressure/espresso machines require the coffee beans to be ground in a different way?

The reason I ask is that I usually see two types of ground coffee at the stores. One comes in large aluminum cans - for regular coffee machines I suppose. The other comes in smaller pressure-sealed aluminium foil packets - those were the ones I used to buy for the high-pressure espresso machines.

quote:

Originally posted by griz:

I'm a French Press guy. Tastes better than drip (IMO) and uses a coarse grind, which speeds the grinding process.

The only possible replacement for my Zassenhausen is another Zassenhaus. They have a wall-mount grinder which I covet.

The wall mount is discontinued, so you will have to find one on Ebay or something. I know cuase I would love to have a wall mount too.

I haven't tried it for my french press yet. My last grinder sucked so bad from being inconsistant that you couldn't use the french press.

I'll try it tomorrow with my morning cup.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Does making coffee in those high pressure/espresso machines require the coffee beans to be ground in a different way?

The reason I ask is that I usually see two types of ground coffee at the stores. One comes in large aluminum cans - for regular coffee machines I suppose. The other comes in smaller pressure-sealed aluminium foil packets - those were the ones I used to buy for the high-pressure espresso machines.

Yes, an espresso machine requires the coffee to be almost a powder. This is how it can extract all of the flavor and such with the high pressure and steam.

With the grinder listed above, I don't think you can grind that fine. Pretty close but not fine enough. They recommend to use a four mill for making espresso if that is what you desire. They sell those too.

Hey, they got tea, too. I'm interested in their Darjeeling and Irish Breakfast tea. Those are my two favorite black teas. Now, I'd have to order 25 pounds to get free shipping! That's a lot of tea. I better get a second bathroom.
wink.gif

We've a guy in the rifle club who reloads for rifle and shotgun.

I no longer lay down next to him on the range, after seeing some of his practices.

e.g. he bought 8lb of shotgun powder, but it was too slow (max powder capacity didn't give him the velocity that he was after)...solution...run the powder through a coffee grinder to break it up a bit and speed it up. (then store in a glass coffee jar)

I agree with msparks! The CoffeeBeanDirect coffee is good! Took about 4 days from order to my door. As a matter of fact I have to order some!

Msparks,

You let the secret out 5 months ago in another post. Don't you remember
grin.gif
Anyways, I have you to thank for getting me off the Starbucks habit. I was paying $7.99/lbs and now it's like $4 and change. My favorites so far have been French Roast and Italian Dark Roast. The Father's Day light and dark blend was terrible, IMO.

I bought a Capresso conical grinder from Amazon per another member's recommendation. Was expensive but does a great job.

Thanks again for converting me
biggthumbcoffe.gif
worshippy.gif

Oh, sorry I fogot, I was so excited, everytime I order coffee, it's like Christmas.

Now that I have my zassenhause grinder it's the bomb.

Have the first cup of French press coffee today. Wow, was that great. The old coffee grinder sucked so bad you couldn't make press pot coffee, cuase of the sediment.

The zassenhause, made the perfect grind, about 2 full turns off of the metal to metal contact on the blades and it was just right. Very little sediment.

I'm hooked.

quote:

Originally posted by Razl:
My favorites so far have been French Roast and Italian Dark Roast. The Father's Day light and dark blend was terrible, IMO.

I bought a Capresso conical grinder from Amazon per another member's recommendation. Was expensive but does a great job.

Thanks again for converting me
biggthumbcoffe.gif
worshippy.gif

Mine too, I've been on the French for about 2 months. Also if you are interested in trying different ones, you can call your order in and ask for a sample of something. I did this when I was using the House blend, and was interested in the French. They sent me enough for about 1 12 cup pot. That way you don't wast your money on 5 lbs of coffee.

Anyhow, I was wondering about the Italian, but was worried it would be too over the top, the French is supposed to be smoother.

Msparks. I love my French Press too. I could never go back to an auto drip.

The Italian is slightly deeper than the French roast but not over the top. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you a some. That's the least I can do.

quote:

Originally posted by Razl:
Msparks. I love my French Press too. I could never go back to an auto drip.

The Italian is slightly deeper than the French roast but not over the top. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you a some. That's the least I can do.

That's okay, next order I'll have them send me a sample, it's easier that way they just through it in no charge.

Thanks anyway.

FYI, I timed the grinding for a 10 cup pot this morning. It took about 8 minutes to do it, I'm probably a little slow and I use a super fine grind. But still it wasn't too bad, considering this is the best, most consistant grind, with no heat buildup or and static going to the beans.

My last grinder took about 1 minute or so, but man it was a mess, with grinds going everywhere, the beans sticking to everything cuase of the static, and a very, very inconsistant grind. Especially for a $100 grinder.

quote:

Originally posted by H2GURU:
In keeping with the BITOG spirit I will share my economic and best bang for your buck COFFEE . Get yourself an electic bean grinder and by a 2 pound bag of the " EIGHT O'CLOCK COFFEE" WHOLE BEANS.

Been there done that, it's some awefull stuff. I tried every which way to make it taste good. Ended up throughing about 1/2 bag away (it was a 5 pounder)

Trust me, the coffeebeandirect stuff is true gourmet coffee at discount prices.

I'm a big fan of our local roasters. We have at least three in our small city, all of whom have organic fair-trade beans. If I time it right, I can pick up a pound of beans the day of roasting! yumm. And the smell in the shop!!! hmmm... think I'd better go buy some more now...

Selection sometimes varies but this 'encourages' me to try new things. Whatever the beans' origin, I prefer a dark roast.

Besides being tasty, I tend to go for beans that are certified fair-trade. I know first hand that the dollar or so more it might cost me can make a big difference to the people actually involved in production in Columbia, Sumatra, or whereever. Coffee is a luxury item for me (even though my withdrawal symptoms scream otherwise at times!); as such, I'd rather not squeeze the growers for every last penny -- epecially since they have many fewer pennies than me.

Umm, I think its time to brew another pot!!

A coworker got me hooked on Sumatra Mandheling coffee. It does have a funky organic smell but it definately tastes good. My everyday brew is 100% Columbian.
As a little side note, the darker the bean is roasted, the less caffeine it has!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back