How many miles between OIC's with GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas on what else it could be or what Toyota of Nashua could have done to it? I really didn't notice the noise until after they did an OIC on it. Maybe an exhaust or manifold leak?

The rattle I hear at 40mph..and it usually will reproduce sounds louder when it is colder....heat shield maybe?

Grasping at straws now

Yeah, we'll definitely want to see the UOA (and TBN) on that sample! Green or Gold? And how many months to reach that mileage?

quote:

Originally posted by dkryan:
Yeah, we'll definitely want to see the UOA (and TBN) on that sample! Green or Gold? And how many months to reach that mileage?

It's green (all of my GC supply is green) and it was last changed on October 10, 2004. I will definitely get a TBN with my UOA.

Ok, so check this out. Just got home from running around, and I was going to change the oil in my 04 Grand Am (3.4L V6), but I checked the dipstick first to see the oil level (which was still full) and noticed something. Now, I know the color of the oil don't exactly mean anything, but it was barely dark. I mean, it looked like it only had about 2K miles on it or something. Oil has exaclty 6953 miles on it right now, and I was gonna wait till the OLM light came on, but thought it should have came on by now. Would you guys change it or keep it in there. I mean, this oil is CLEAN for having almost 7K miles on it. Maybe it's good filtration, who knows. Again, I know the color is irrelevant (somewhat).....but, it just would seem like a shame to drain it if it's still good....

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I'd go with a mileage target, irrespective of the color/clarity of the oil.

Thanks Elfe Meister
grin.gif

Will be doing a 5,000 mile OCI with "green" GC in my Subaru WRX STi. I currently have something like 3,300 miles on the oil now, and starting to get that "itch" to change it. But I'll hold-out until 5k when I'll drain it and send a sample into Blackstone for analysis.

quote:

In our 2.2 L EcoTech, whatever the OLM says, which has been running around 8-9000 miles.

Of course, keep in mind that the OLM is just a computer algorithm and is totally "ignorant" of whether you've got GC or Wesson cooking oil in your crankcase. It's calibrated for standard quality, API rated OTC dino oil. If it's saying this, then the GC would likely be good for anywhere from 10-15k miles (maybe more) in your usage. Obviously, you'd want to verify with UOA before you pushed any oil well beyond the prescribed (or OLM dictated) dino interval.
cheers.gif

quote:

I'm happy with a 10K OCI on the car and a 1 yr OCI on the seldom-driven pickup.

Exactly what my UOAs are telling me. Once my wty is up, I'll easily go 10k in the G35 and one year in the Sequoia (which is about 10k too, btw). Actually, by the UOA we could push further, but I still want some margin. Once my the supply starts to run down (in a few years) maybe I'll get greedier. We'll see. . .

I should be young and hip and not conservative and old fashioned 3k type of guy
smile.gif

On my 3800 Engine today, it had the longest ever oil change interval 7,700 miles on M04 series Green GC!

Part of that wait. was the Katrina oil crunch pinching me hard. Prior max interval on Mobil 1 or Royal Purple was 5-6k.

So, I am praying I have not caused any sludge cancer to my engine. "Delusions of Grandeur," or not I expect the insides to spotless having run Synthetics from near birth until now!

In went M05 Gold w/a Bosch filter ... had to skimp and skip the K&N Gold Filter
frown.gif

Wow, see I get excited during oil changes!

Tschus!

Outrun:

If that's the GM 3.8L you're talking about, the GC was probably just beginning to discolor at 7.7k miles. All our UOA, and general experience, point to this engine being absurdly easy on oil. With a normal driving pattern and a healthy example of the breed, I think you could have gone longer. One or two UOAs would go a long way to setting your mind at ease.

After Kat struck, I realized that having my monstrous GC stash was not such a bad thing. I watched oil prices rise and shelves go empty -- and it had no impact on me. :wink:
cheers.gif

quote: After Kat struck, I realized that having my monstrous GC stash was not such a bad thing. I watched oil prices rise and shelves go empty -- and it had no impact on me.

shocked.gif
the shelves went empty ???
dunno.gif
nono.gif
most people would probably just keep going another few K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back