How many miles between OIC's with GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many miles are you guys doing with GC before doing an oil change? Toyota recommends 5k changes for my Matrix but would like to push it out to 7500.

I've been doing about 7000 to 8000 in my 2001 Pathfinder. I think I stretched it to almost 10000 at one interval. However, I have never done an analysis on the GC even though I've been using it exclusively for the past 35000 miles.

My most recent UOA suggests that for my driving style in my G35, the limit lies between 12k and 15k miles. I'm still under wty, though, so I'll probably stay with 7.5k for now, the max recommended in my manual, but given the UOA, I might push to 10k. After 60k miles (end of wty) I will readjust and run for about 85-90% of what my then-current UOAs indicate is max life.

In our Sequoia, a short tripper, the oil was clearly still good after 13 months and 10k miles. I'm planning to just do simple one year OCI with this vehicle.

I recommend you do a UOA or two yourself, and set your plan based upon your use and results. There will be quite a bit of variation depending upon the factors that apply.
cheers.gif

I've got over 11k on the GC in my wife's 2000 Civic right now, and will be changing it in a couple of weeks when I'm on holidays.

I've gone as long as 8k on GC in my Corvette, and will be doing it every 6 months from now on so most intervals will be between 8-10k. (possibly more if I do any long highway trips)

The GC in my gm 5.3L pickup at 6500 miles showed oil thickening by almost 1.0 to 12.93, 100C cSt.
Otherwise it was still okay.

Believe it or not. The manual for the Pontiac Vibe..1ZZ-FE says that you can go 12,500km (7700mi)if you aren't towing, commercial use, excessive idling, or trips of less than 5mi. Guess how long I'm going!
wink.gif

Toyota can't give you any issues if they allow this number to show up in another manual.

quote:

Originally posted by luvs2drive:
Believe it or not. The manual for the Pontiac Vibe..1ZZ-FE says that you can go 12,500km (7700mi)if you aren't towing, commercial use, excessive idling, or trips of less than 5mi. Guess how long I'm going!
wink.gif

Toyota can't give you any issues if they allow this number to show up in another manual.

You know I saw that today in my manual when I was looking for some info on some other stuff. My Matrix LOVED the last batch of oil I had in there(M1 5W30) but this second batch has not been as kind.....engine is louder and rougher and my mpg has gone down a bit. I'm just waiting for the $#$^& rain to let up(we are supposed to get hammered tomorrow)and to get my butt to Walmart to get some Rhino Ramps. After that we'll see how the ole 1ZZ-FE likes the green stuff...unless I decide to use the 4 golds that I have.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I've got over 11k on the GC in my wife's 2000 Civic right now, and will be changing it in a couple of weeks when I'm on holidays.

You will do a UOA to post right!?

Definitely! I NEVER do an oil change now without taking a sample and sending it to Wearcheck.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ucandoit:
My Matrix LOVED the last batch of oil I had in there(M1 5W30) but this second batch has not been as kind.....engine is louder and rougher and my mpg has gone down a bit.

So the 'second batch' was more M1 5W-30?

quote:

Originally posted by ucandoit:
After that we'll see how the ole 1ZZ-FE likes the green stuff...unless I decide to use the 4 golds that I have.

ucandoit, I currently have green GC in my 1zzfe engine. It had been its engine oil for just over 3000 miles. It will go to Blackstone's at some point. But I am eager to give M1 0W-30 a go.

Actually after the first batch of M1 5W30 I tried Pennz Plat 5W30. Kept that in for 1000 miles and did not like the way the car felt at all! Replaced with M1 5W30 but car has seemed the same. I'm noticing that I get a bit of what I suspect is valve clatter while accelerating...usually most prominent at right going past 40mph.

Once we get some dry weather I'm going to change out to the GC and see how things go. Engine is buzzy to begin with but I don't rememeber it sounding so loud before.

I don't think so...only requires 87 octane and I've filled up at many different gas stations...I know the quality of gas has seemed to take a dive since Katrina but.....

I ran the green GC to almost 7K miles and 6.5 months in the '01 GM 3.1L V6 with the larger PF-52 sized Mobil 1 filter. I just changed it out this past weekend. I need to do a UOA next time, because I have to watch for signs of the dreaded intake gasket leaking problem.

About 70% of the miles were freeway and she averaged about 26.4 MPG. I am very pleased with how quite the engine now runs. The first 45 secs after cold startup are still a bit noisy (but not nearly as bad as before though), after that you can barely hear her idling. Much improved over the Xw-30 Mobil 1 oils that I had been running before. We will see how the green GC does over the Winter cycle here on the North Coast.

It just doesn't make sense (to me) that the noise is more prevalent under acceleration - valvetrain noise tends to get drowned out by other noises at speed, or disappears entirely when oil comes up to proper pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back