What performs better in extended drains,M1 0W40 or GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like in late model BMW situation where the interval can go as far as 15K.

I say M1 0W40 from the UOA's i've seen.

I say neither. GC will thicken - M1 will get runny. Neither are long drain oils. M1 has been factory installed and has gone 20K once or twice. Very few GC UOA's at 15K and beyond.

The BMW dealers use Castrol.
There should be tons of BMW's that went the factory specified 15K and beyond. We're just not aware of them.

Between the two, I'd go with GC, but personally I don't think I'd feel comfortable running it out to 15K miles. I guess it depends on how you drive it. But then again, who buys a BMW to drive it like a grandma?

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
But then again, who buys a BMW to drive it like a grandma?

I see plenty of grandmas driving BMWs around here.
They buy a luxury German nameplate, not the "ultimate driving machine".
wink.gif

FWIW....I compared the viscosity chart posted on BITOG comparing GC to M1 0w-40 (as well as some other M1's). I'm going to use the GC for cold canadian winters (and till I use up my stash) in my 330ci. It appears that it flows better than the M1 in cold temps to some degree. I'm not qualified to say whether the difference is significant, but it makes me feel better in the winter, and in a few GC moments of reduced mental capacity, I bought about 48L of green GC at full price. So I guess I have to tell myself that if MUST be the best thing for my car.

That's how I made my decision...but I think I would feel just as comfortable with the M1 0w-40. I have noticed some nice UOA's with that in BMW's....especially in a warmer environment? Again, my advice is not based on any qualifications or abilities.

I'll stop talking now.
smile.gif

Man,some of you guys's are rough on M1 0W40.I find it to be one of the best OTC oils around period and perfectly suitable for extended drains.

I am currently running it in a BMW M54 engine with no start up noise whatsoever.The engine rev's nicely with this stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
But then again, who buys a BMW to drive it like a grandma?

I see plenty of grandmas driving BMWs around here.
They buy a luxury German nameplate, not the "ultimate driving machine".
wink.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
I about fell over six months ago when my mother-in-law, a classic grandma, up and traded her 1987 Cadillac Seville (which had only 55k miles on it) for a new 3-series BMW. Astonishing. Definitely a luxury stereotype thing. She is hardly one to test the near-limits behavior of her ultimate driving machine.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back