Okay they said this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually worse...
The techs, the service advisors, the management don't have any interest in motor oils - the lifeblood of an engine.
Somehow it has become a signature of the field or the people it attracts.
No disrespect to the few knowledgeable ones attending this board.

I was talking to a service writer and master tech at the local Volvo dealer. They were telling me all about engine oil. I asked them if they were using SM/GF-4 spec oil and they said no, that it was 10w-30. I learned a lot of things from them. They said that synthetic oil caused leaks, like Mobil 1, and could damage the turbo when the engine was shut down. And they told me if I really wanted to boost my oil to use Prolong. They said that Prolong was better than STP. These guys are working on customer cars, scary isn't it?

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Invite him to join the forum to share his deep thinking on the subject, please.

His goal was to distract you from his failings by focusing and framing yours from his perspective.

In Texas he would have been shot on the spot and then Skoal spit on the body....just kidding, kinda...

Terry

Terry, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'm going to have to call you out and buy you lunch. I'm actually beginning to like Texas, despite having received speeding citations on my last two drives through this wonderous place.

My take: this mech is a MOW-RON. Don't let him touch your valuable car again. . .

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
He probably asked because it came out Green.

My thought too. I've pretty much quit doing my own changes, in part, because I so enjoy the expression on the faces of the oil change guys when they see my oil come out of the bottle green. It really is precious how some of them almost flip out when they see this stuff, almost like it's supernatural or something.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
I was talking to a service writer and master tech at the local Volvo dealer. They were telling me all about engine oil. I asked them if they were using SM/GF-4 spec oil and they said no, that it was 10w-30. I learned a lot of things from them. They said that synthetic oil caused leaks, like Mobil 1, and could damage the turbo when the engine was shut down. And they told me if I really wanted to boost my oil to use Prolong. They said that Prolong was better than STP. These guys are working on customer cars, scary isn't it?

Wow..and these two people are supposedly knowledgeable? Shocking
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
And they told me if I really wanted to boost my oil to use Prolong. They said that Prolong was better than STP.

For it's intended use it is better, I don't know why they would be using it in their oil.

Prolong

Actually, one has to know how to sell service, the other how to service, trouble shoot problems and change parts. If there is a failure they just fix it. It's more important to figure out who pays for a problem, not what caused it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back