Okay they said this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Ford Focus 4cyln (81000kms)wagon, that I just put GC in about a month ago after an autorx treatment. ( barely 1000kms on it ) Didn't notice anything good or bad with GC in the car as the wife has been driving the car more than I have lately. Anyways I had to bring in the Focus to the dealership to get the recall of the rear door hatch fixed. Long story short they mistake my wagon for another wagon same colour and some of the same digits on the license plate and they ended up doing an oil change package on it before they realized their mistake. I wasn't really upset about that, as they did a few other things to the car and I didn't have to pay. ( but yes I was a little ****** that I lost a batch of GC and a good oil filter too) But then the mechanic came to talk to me ( an older guy ) and said he did the mistake yadda yadda but wanted to know what oil I had in the car. So I told him GC 0w30, well he just about freaked on my head. He just ripped me up about how stupid people really are even with the 5w20 in bright yellow of a label on the oil filler cap. I just kept my mouth shut and stayed cool. I wasn't going to go into anything with him. I fiqured I'd discuss it with you guys and learn rather than be whipped.
He said that if the car was still under warranty it would have been void.
That didn't bother me as I've read here alot that no oil can damage a car. Or something like that.

But this statement he made did bug me a bit. That running synthetics are only meant for performance cars as they need better protection as they run hotter ( I was thinking of Patman's corvette when he said this ) and that syn oils are crap in sub zero weather. We get around -20C (0F) during the winters here where I live. (well that goes against everything you guys have said of the 0W rating of the oil, but then I'm reading some concerns people are posting about cold temp performance of GC )

Then he also went on they spec'd the right oil for the car and who am I to question engineers. yadda yadda yadda.

Anyways I'm going to keep the oil they put in for a little while, but as soon it gets a little cooler out I'm going to put GC back in. I've got another 12 bottles.

Sorry for the long read, but I just had to post to tell somebody.

Hope you had a better day!!!!

It absolutely amazes me as to how stupid most mechanics are when it comes to something as simple as motor oil.

I am curious, is 5w-20 the oly oil allowed? All owners manuals I have seen give a recomended oil and then a few other choices too.

So did you ask the mechanic how stupid someone has to be to not be able to read a complete license plate number that is sitting right on the back of a car to do the right work to it?

He doesn't know what he is talking about. We do. As blupupher said, he is the one who didn't read the tag right.
Terry

Guess that means my warranty is void(not) because I run 10w-30. When Ford starts paying my truck payment then and only then can they tell me what oil to run.

This kind of thing makes my head explode !!!!

quote:

how stupid people really are even with the 5w20 in bright yellow of a label on the oil filler cap

yet xW-30 or xW-40 are specced in the same engine outside NA, but we won't go there again, will we...
wink.gif

quote:

So did you ask the mechanic how stupid someone has to be to not be able to read a complete license plate number that is sitting right on the back of a car to do the right work to it?

lol.gif

He is an idiot. As are many, many, many mechanics.

quote:

I was almost going to go there when I was getting ripped when he was going on about the yellow label but like I said I didn't want to get into it with him, I just wanted to get out of there and start my weekend.
It's Thanksgiving weekend up here ya know. Yahoo!!!! gobble gobble gobble.
So Happy Thanksgiving fellow canucks!!!

Jrrd54,
You put-up with that kinda crap from an ill-informed nit wit. Your are a better man than I am Gunga Din.

With all due respect to all parties, I would have ripped him a new one.

Invite him to join the forum to share his deep thinking on the subject, please.

His goal was to distract you from his failings by focusing and framing yours from his perspective.

In Texas he would have been shot on the spot and then Skoal spit on the body....just kidding, kinda...

Terry

quote:

Originally posted by Gilitar:
It absolutely amazes me as to how stupid most mechanics are when it comes to something as simple as motor oil.

Agreed! I overhead an oil change guy telling someone that 5w30 was good for 5000km oil changes, and 10w30 was for 10000km oil changes. By his logic, how does that work for 0w30 then?
freak2.gif

Obviously the guy is misinformed and wrong but I bet he sees lots of cars that could have done better with the recommended interval and oil. He just put you in the same boat as those that don't get it right. After all the 5w20 would still work great in your area and probably get up to temp faster. We all know that you're doing a great thing with the GC but as far as he's concerned it's just another castrol syntec in which case you would probably better of with the 5w20. Still doesn't excuse him being a weiner about it.

quote:

His goal was to distract you from his failings by focusing and framing yours from his perspective.

BINGO! We have a wiener - pay the man his prize! Sir - what is your name?

Where I come from I would call this lot jockey guy an "id-git", rhymes with mental midget! (and btw he is NOT a mechanic)

What a great thread - oil, car maintenance and child psychology!

Moral of story? If asked by the shop floor-sweeper/car wash/oil change dummy, and still under warranty, tell 'im "Motorcraft 5W-20". Let 'im prove otherwise.

quote:

Originally posted by Gilitar:

I agree. After working in Ford parts for years....then finding this place years later, the only conclusion I can draw is that NO ONE I EVER worked with knew ANYTHING about oil. Period. Not even me. (until I found BITOG
grin.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back