GC in a Briggs and Stratton

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got this 30 year old Briggs and Stratton leaf vacuum motor that smokes like a tar kettle and I'm worried she'll die any day. I only use it in the fall to get up leaves. So the oil is black and burnt as usual -regardless of oil changes and I was thinking of pouring a qt of the magic elixer in her to see what happens
(Kaboom, probably). Maybe the extra viscocity and exotic esters will somehow stop the smoking and she'll run smooth and strong.
Blasphamy, you say. Maybe. But I thought I'd use one of the couple of odd qts of MO2- if I can find it
rolleyes.gif

Hmmm... since I've got 14 quarts of GC sitting in my garage maybe it's worth a try in my Honda walk-behind mower. I should also begin doing UOA's on it too, as well as my pressure washer...!

Why not pull the head, remove the rod/piston, ream the ridge, hone and re-ring the tar-pot B&S motor? Rings can't be that much $$.

Well a long days work done. Got the vari-drive (what a ***) on the 25 year old Sears lawn tractor working. Cleaned/repaired the 27 year old B&S leaf vacuum motor/ ignition. Drained it's black oil and installed one of 3 qts of GC MO2 I have in the thing- it took about 3/4 of a qt. M02 is not green (maybe the slightist hint, nah wishful thinking). Anyways she fired right up and ran like a singer sewing maching (BTW- does anyone know what they run like?) Amazingly absolutely no smoking, but it was dark, but I did have the outside light on. We'll see.
Well, I was wrong on my GC stash quote a while back. Of course as I was looking for the 3 qts of M02 I knew I had, I went through every box. Of course it was in the next to last one. But I did get to do an inventory. I have 102 qts of GC M04/M03 and now 2 qts of M02. I'll use the M02 in the various power equipment around the house- should make them happy. Also I have 15 qts of BC 5w40. I also have a case of VW OEM 1.8T oil filters. It's just a matter of changing it out and taking the old oil across the street to dump at the Valvoline quick luber store. I wait until I have a 5 gal. can full before I make the disposal run.

Long day. May the elves continue to be happy at their tasks.

quote:

Originally posted by slickfisher:
So I've got this 30 year old Briggs and Stratton leaf vacuum motor that smokes like a tar kettle and I'm worried she'll die any day. I only use it in the fall to get up leaves. So the oil is black and burnt as usual -regardless of oil changes and I was thinking of pouring a qt of the magic elixer in her to see what happens
(Kaboom, probably). Maybe the extra viscocity and exotic esters will somehow stop the smoking and she'll run smooth and strong.
Blasphamy, you say. Maybe. But I thought I'd use one of the couple of odd qts of MO2- if I can find it
rolleyes.gif

Go ahead make me beddy, beddy sad
frown.gif

No worries. I have just over 100 qts of the good stuff that goes in a modified 1.8T. It will make the most use of the oils properties.

I am debating on snythetic for my lawn equipment, one end gets used all summer hard. The other all winter hard. I keep hearing you must change it at the same interval as regular.

What does gray watery oil mean in a 4 stroke air cooled engine?

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
My guess would be metal particles in the oil.

Hrmm, didn't feel anything gritty or the likes.

I wonder if having the same oil in it(not being used) for 20 years might have caused it. It's a weird engine, even after a carb rebuild it likes to run with the choke on somewhat.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermo1223:

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
My guess would be metal particles in the oil.

Hrmm, didn't feel anything gritty or the likes.

I wonder if having the same oil in it(not being used) for 20 years might have caused it. It's a weird engine, even after a carb rebuild it likes to run with the choke on somewhat.

1./ Mmmmm. Dissolved innards of the mower.
2./ Check for air leaks.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermo1223:

What does gray watery oil mean in a 4 stroke air cooled engine?

Mine looked similar when I got my mower from my father. I ran 1 oil change for about 3 hrs (2 mowings) and drained and then used some MaxLife I had. Looks fine now after about 15 hrs, but it does use a little oil.

I can say after approx. 30 minutes of use I can see no oil smoke from the 25 year old briggs&stratton leaf vacuum motor. Amazing! So I put the other bottle of M02 in the lawn/garden tractor. Haven't used it any since installing. I have one MO2 left. It will be used to top up any usage for the two lawn machines. Wait a minute I also have a 20+ year old Honda 22" HRA lawn mower (fabulous machine if it just had a little higher cut height) that does smoke on start-up (probably valve guide/seals). Hmm, doesn't seem to use much if any oil and this machine does get used weekly. Well the season's about over with the fall smell in the air in the Southern Appalachians. I'll figure it out next spring.
fruit.gif

I use Delo spiked with a little GC (to lower the vicosity a bit) in my 6HP briggs.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by slickfisher:
I can say after approx. 30 minutes of use I can see no oil smoke from the 25 year old briggs&stratton leaf vacuum motor. Amazing! So I put the other bottle of M02 in the lawn/garden tractor. Haven't used it any since installing. I have one MO2 left. It will be used to top up any usage for the two lawn machines. Wait a minute I also have a 20+ year old Honda 22" HRA lawn mower (fabulous machine if it just had a little higher cut height) that does smoke on start-up (probably valve guide/seals). Hmm, doesn't seem to use much if any oil and this machine does get used weekly. Well the season's about over with the fall smell in the air in the Southern Appalachians. I'll figure it out next spring.
fruit.gif

bet the esters did some clean up to the ring pack?
had a similar effect when i put redline in a tired briggs generator that smoked under load and lost a lot between refuelings.8 hours of running and the smoking stopped.now it goes 2 tanks before a minor top off is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back