Running gold GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been running the gold GC 0w30 in my impala with the 3.4 for the last month, Have driven about 1200 miles and noticed no decrease in gas milage, Have noticed though more engine noise at startup (lifters)I just had them replaced under warrenty about 5000 miles ago, and maybe my imagination but they seemed to be louder at startup after using GC, After warm up the motor runs nice and quiet and smooth, much better than when I was using mobile 1, I dont think that there is much different between 0w30 and 5w30 at least at startup but could that possibly be the problem ( to thin)? or maybe the lifters need to be readjusted after break in. Thanks

Mechanical lifters that need adjustment haven't been around for years, AFAIK. M1 5w30 is thinner than GC at startup temps above, say, 20° F. That could mean more noise at startup and less noise when warm with GC, as compared to M1 5w30. Neither of which (GC or M1) should be a problem.

Any other variables like are you using the same oil filter, ambient temperatures (summer versus spring)?

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
Mechanical lifters that need adjustment haven't been around for years, AFAIK.

Modern Subaru engines have mechanical lifter. Maintenance schedule calls for a "valve clearance check" every 105K miles.

My Impreza runs way louder on GC than on Castrol GTX.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
My Impreza runs way louder on GC than on Castrol GTX.

Interesting. I haven't tried Castrol GTX in my STi, but out of all the oils I've had in my STi thus far (unknown factory fill, Mobil Drive Clean 5w-30, Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5w-30, Mobil 7500 Semi-Syn 10w-30, and finally GC), German Castrol has made my engine the quietest (although the STi is far from quiet overall
wink.gif
)

I've primarily used either Redline 10w30 or GC in my WRX and I noticed no difference in engine sound between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back