Largest Stash for the Least Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't win this one because most of mine has been bought at $4.99; I have probably 36 bottles bought at $3.99 and some at $4.19 to $4.39. I may even have 12 bottles bought at $5.19 (ouch!) when there was a momentary spike in the price. So to answer your question $5.19/$3.99/$4.69.

PS ...and while I would like to have gotten it all at $3.99 or like some guys did at the $1.00 clearance price some stores had, it is still worth EVERY PENNY I have paid for it.

I may get some more next week, but I would surely like to see $3.99 again.

34 quarts at 1.99 each (plus tax). Average price of 1.99. This is for GC gold.

How was this possible? Kragen had a coupon in the paper, synthetic blends for 1.99. HOWEVER, the PICTURE on the coupon clearly showed a bottle of Mobil 1 and a bottle of syntec (full synthetic). I took my coupons around to the local Autozones and they happily price matched Kragen's coupon. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.

quote:

Originally posted by eliminator:
34 quarts at 1.99 each (plus tax). Average price of 1.99. This is for GC gold.

How was this possible? Kragen had a coupon in the paper, synthetic blends for 1.99. HOWEVER, the PICTURE on the coupon clearly showed a bottle of Mobil 1 and a bottle of syntec (full synthetic). I took my coupons around to the local Autozones and they happily price matched Kragen's coupon. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.

welcome.gif

I can't convince myself that they will "happily price match" if I take in someone else's coupon.
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
welcome.gif

I can't convince myself that they will "happily price match" if I take in someone else's coupon.
confused.gif

If they were unhappy about it, they sure didn't mention it to me. At one of the stores, the manager did say that it was their policy to match regular prices only, not coupon prices. But he accepted the coupon anyways. At the other stores, the people didn't seem to care about much of anything at all.

I still have some coupons left, so I plan to go over to Kragen later for some M1 5-40.

Now I just need to figure out where to put all this oil. I still have over 50 qts of M1 from the Pep Boys 2-for-1 calendar coupon earlier this year. It's almost a 3 year supply for mine and the "boss's" car.

Of my 41 qts, 26 were @ $3.99/qt with a Pep Boys price match coupon, 4 were free with an exchange of 10 free Mobil 5000, and the rest were just purchased yesterday for $4.39/qt, so that is an average of $3.71/qt.

Who has the lowest average cost on their stash of GC? Give high, low, and average. I'm sure your oil inventory control system offers that information.

Noria says 2 years, Valvoline says 2 to 5 years. My common sense tells me that 8 to 12 years is probably O.K., depending on humidity, temperature fluctuation, and where it's stored. I have some Mobil 1 that is close to 8 years old. Still, I believe it is best to make sure you use a FIFO inventory control system and not stockpile too much. As a grease monkey, who needs therapy and has never seen an oil sale that he wasn't interested in, it's easier said than done. I tend to find solace in my stashes of oil, grease, and brake fluid. My experience is that, due to constant improvements in oil technology, it's better to let auto parts stores inventory the oil until you need it. I have known this, as many of you have for a long time, but I find it difficult to do.

when some autozones were giving away clearance oils, GC was sold for $1/qt. many bought 150 plus GC quarts for $1 each.

quote:

Originally posted by TxGreaseMonkey:
Noria says 2 years, Valvoline says 2 to 5 years. My common sense tells me that 8 to 12 years is probably O.K., depending on humidity, temperature fluctuation, and where it's stored. I have some Mobil 1 that is close to 8 years old. Still, I believe it is best to make sure you use a FIFO inventory control system and not stockpile too much. As a grease monkey, who needs therapy and has never seen an oil sale that he wasn't interested in, it's easier said than done. I tend to find solace in my stashes of oil, grease, and brake fluid. My experience is that, due to constant improvements in oil technology, it's better to let auto parts stores inventory the oil until you need it. I have known this, as many of you have for a long time, but I find it difficult to do.

TGM,

Autozone must not be concerned because they are still selling "Old Yeller" American-made Syntec 0W-30 and it is AT LEAST 2-3 years old--sitting on the shelf. I believe they would pull it if they were concerned about--or had received complaints against--oil that old.

quote:

Notice AZO, with their inclined shelves, has a great gravity feed FIFO inventory system.

By the way, I do use the FIFO method...even down to the hour and minute
shocked.gif
(last four numbers on the bottom of the bottle).

Smart. I used to be an Air Force auditor, who constantly looked for outdated materials that would affect readiness. Performed many audits in maintenance and supply.

quote:

pscholte, translate this character string for me: M050756ATW4410469. I can tell it was made at 17:44 hours.

TGM,

As best I can figure these out this tells us it was made on the 75th Julian day of 2005 (3/16/05) and I believe the part beginning with TW is a code for the blending plant.

I do remember a Bitoger from Vegas who had then a 130+(?) stash of GC...scored at a $1 each back in Feb or so/middle of AZ clearance.

My orig stash of 27(down to 22) were scored at the same price.

Now aiming to add more to the stash...for $3.99/qt at the least.
dunno.gif

quote:

Since oil has a limited shelf-life, let the races begin!

You will have to explain "limited." The educated opinion on this board (opinion that I trust) is that unopened oil stored in a relatively climate controlled environment is good for 7-10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back