To switch or not to switch? Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 Tahoe 5.7 V8 and the engine has had a diet of 5w30 Castrol GTX sence new. I'm thinking of switching to German Castrol because of how good of oil it is! I use it now in my LS1.

The Tahoe has 110,000 miles runs great and burns maybe 4oz of oil in 3,000 miles, not enough to add any inbetween changes but I think if I used GC the little burning would go away 100% as it did in my Camaro LS1. GTX has worked great and my last UOA at 109,000 miles looked like this: 3,000 miles on oil.

Aluminum 3

Chromium 1

Iron 4

Copper 2

Lead 5

Tin 2

Nickel 0

So wear is about as low as possible with the GTX. What I would like to get from GC is the same level of wear protection or better, a cleaner internal engine, no oil burning.

The engine has no oil leaks and I fear if I go to GC it might start to leak.

What do you guys think? Should take a chance and switch to GC or stick with trusty GTX? Thank you!!!
smile.gif

Chris B says:
> but I think if I used GC the little burning
> would go away 100%

and then:

> The engine has no oil leaks and I fear if I go
> to GC it might start to leak.

What makes you think it will leak while it won't burn?

Personally, 4 oz. of oil consumption is nothing, I wouldn't be changing with that reason in mind at all. If your wear numbers are as low as they are (and they are low) and you are happy with GTX, why change?

> So wear is about as low as possible with the
> GTX. What I would like to get from GC is the
> same level of wear protection or better, a
> cleaner internal engine, no oil burning.

Wear can't get much lower and the oil burning is insignificant. Is your engine internally dirty?

Regards,

Rich

I guess I contridicted myself a bit there!
grin.gif

What I ment was if I took a chance and tried GC and the engine did not develop a leak then maybe the small oil comsumption would go away.

As far as the inside of the engine being clean I believe it is after an Auto Rx and seeing it durring a recent intake manafold repair. I wanted to keep it that way an isn't synthetic cleaner the dino?
I will being using Lube Control now so that should keep it clean inside reguardless of what oil I use I believe.

Basicly I'm trying to decide what is best for the engine at this point in it's life(110,000 miles). I want another 150-200 thousand out of her. It runs extreemly well ans shows extreemly low wear so I think that kind of mileage is possible. So would GC help the engine get there or would GTX do just as good?
dunno.gif

I can't believe I loose sleep worrying about this!!!
grin.gif
Thank you!

Nothing is going to do much better than the current GTX. Switch if you want but don't expect a miracle.

Here is the upside as I see it. Do a ARX to clean up any residue. Fill up after the rince with GC 0/30 and test again at 5000 miles and
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
Nothing is going to do much better than the current GTX. Switch if you want but don't expect a miracle.

Expect a miracle. NEVER under estimate two things:

1. The fat guy
2. The GC Elves...

just imho, ymmv
darrell
sin city

LVHospiceRN, aka Darrell, is a bonifed Elendili (Elf-Friend); listen to his wisdom...be advised, however, that if you start hanging with him, you will develop an obsession with the music of the Lovin' Spoonful...yup...it's all true...
grin.gif

I did an Auto Rx at 102,000 miles so the engine shold be very clean inside. I was wondering if GC would keep it cleaner then GTX/LC or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back