Got an email from Castrol on the 0w-30 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we need now is the latest Green to see if it has the higher Magnesium levels. It could be that the dye is the only difference at this point.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
This is what Castrol has always said about 0w-30, regardless of wether it was made in America or in Germany. It is their coined response.

Exactly. It wasn't true then and it isn't true now. The American 0w30, GC and the new gold GC are all different.

I'm with you guys on it being a b.s. response from Castrol. I just wonder how they can get away with this legally? Out and out misrepresentation in my book.

I believe Castrol is only liable if the oil doesn't meet the specs listed on the bottle. From that point of view nothing has changed. Formulations are always changing and are secrets that they are not going to give up.

all this doubt with Castrol and theyre cr!p, reminds me of a really good old[er] song: 'same old story, same old song and dance-my friend'. I for one, am sick and tired of the typical idiot responses and actions from Castrol/BP NA and its to the point of.....Im going to stop using this unknown GC!! At least until it is verified! By then, itll change again!!

Yall may hate Amsoils marketing (ido as well) but, i may just try their 5w-40 Euro. For all I know, the BC 5w-40 IS Gr. III and Gr. II+! Way I see it, we can only trust Amsoil and Mobil for real syn oils! (for now at least)

GC was (and maybe still is) a great oil for the aftermarket folks but now, there is just too much unknown about the new GC for me to use it in 100 degree weather and w/ a turbo to boot! Im just not that confident in them!

I would consider using quaker state or Pennzoil but, they too have their heads so far up their butt w/ marketing to 'mom and pop' (i understand that they have too for money but, at least cater to those who own Euro cars!)for their SL/SM oils and 'Starburst' fuel econo cert that they have not even bothered to put out the new Euro oils in 5w-40 or 5w-30!! I aint driving 50miles to get one either!

Sorry for the rant, I have had a VERY BAD day and its not getting any better! I start the police acad. aug. 8 and I just got lie 7 subpoenas for aug 1 & 2 and ive gotten out of an additional 3!! ***!!! Theyve had 2 mos to call me and now, all these dope heads (they are all marijuana cases as I tested the pot)now want a 'speedy trial'-to the detriment of others! Thats what happens when you leave one police dept. for another-they NEVER let you leave!

anyway, im off my soap box now, and thank you all very much for letting me vent-ALOT as I have no one else to vent to! (except to a 3.5 yr old that constantly whines-hence why shes 3.5 years old!). Again, thank you and I am sorry for the vent!

ps. next change (until i get back my UOA on gold GC)Im ordering ELF 5w-40 or 10w-50.

If the GC/Castrol"SLX" was used as a VW/BMW, factory fill in Europe, the green tint could simply be from a phosphorescent tracer. This enables small oil leaks to show up using a black light in a darkened room.

There would be no reason to use this dye if you were blending this product domestically, for after market use.

I'm sure Pscholte is digging out the 'ol Lava Lamp even as we speak...
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Taggs:
I was told in the email that GC 0w-30 (Green) and the new Golden colored 0w-30 are the exact same formulation drop for drop.

================================================

Without a Castrol rep's name at the bottom of that email - it can't be counted on to be truthful.

quote:

Yall may hate Amsoils marketing (ido as well) but, i may just try their 5w-40 Euro. For all I know, the BC 5w-40 IS Gr. III and Gr. II+! Way I see it, we can only trust Amsoil and Mobil for real syn oils! (for now at least)

I have to say as much as I dislike and criticize Amsoil's dealers/marketing, at least you know what your getting from them. Same with Mobil. You make a valid point.

boy was I on a roll that day!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
Whew! Still I stand behind my comments. Amsoil IS a good oil IMO and we know that at least they do not try to hide their Gr.III oils from their real syn oils. Ive decided this is my next route:

If my current run of gold GC comes back w/ as good a UOA as the green then Ill use it until i get another hair up my butt for anotehr oil.

If, it comes back crappy or not as good, then its ELF 5w-40 or 10w-50 (something says go w/ the 10w-50 as its better somehow)and see how it does. Or, I may just give ol' Amsoil 5w-40 Euro and test it.

Imy car is a 2000 VW Golf 4-dr 1.8T and it has 80100 miles on it and the first 30k miles were unknown (bought used). Ive used a variety of syn oils since then and a good 30,000 miles have been w/ green GC. The other was Mobil 0w-40 and 5w-40 (really smoothed the engine out audibly) Castrol Syntec 5w-40 (Again the engine loved this one too.)and Kendall, Shell and Lubro Moly 5w-40. (I liked the LM!!).

My drain intervals have always been 5000 miles for all oils except GC and its been 6000-6500 miles. I really hate to possibly deal with the fact that GC will not be in my engine any longer!

Now, with the colour and formulation change of GC (which aint always bad IMHO) and BC (smells different. old stuff smelled like Lubro Moly) Im ready to move on possible-dont want to but.....I may have to!

Course, I can always get M1 5w-40 for $20 in the 5qt jug at my local wally world! Maybe at the 100K miles mark Ill go to a thicker viscosity like a 15w-50 since there will be more wear? Ahh...ill shut up now as im rambling!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

I personally can't wait to see the validation on the new GOLD formulation....

I just switched from RL 5w20 to GC Gold....and so far my engine and I love the Gold Coolness!

I also talked a friend of mine into using GC gold, his previous fill was M1 5w30...and he too...noticed how well the engine responds to GC. He claimed he doesn't have to step on the gas as hard as before to get the same acceleration sensation, once again, butt dyno doesn't really paint the whole picture here.....but...we'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back