Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to burst your bubble boys but I
got off the phone with Castrol USA and
was told that Castrol NA is producing the
0w30 grade in the U.S. It's supposed to be
the same spec. as the German made except
for the color. Where is all this oil going
to? All new bottles still say "Made in Germany".
I bet they are using the same bottles and
labels. If this is the case, then you can kiss
your GC goodbye.

Is that legal? I know the opposite is NOT. I.e to be labeled made in USA it has to be produced here with significant components also sourced here.

IF the NA made Gold is compounded of the same components and processes as the German-made "green," it should be of the same quality.

I have seen formulators create a PCMO with it being blended by one company on contract, and then when it has proved its worth, have it blended/bottled by many firms to meet demand.

Castrol subcontracts the blending of their oils to a number of different independent blenders. Depending on where in the US you purchase the product, it may not even be the same company bottling it....Castrol USA is based in NJ, but not all the product is made there.

This is why they specifically mention the color variations in writing on the bottles.

First of all, given Castrol's tech support record with members of BITOG, anything they tell you should be viewed with a healthy skepticism. Second, it HAS to meet the requirements stated on the bottle regardless of where it is made. Castrol would probably fall back on that if someone pushed the "But it says 'Made in Germany' button." I am pretty sure there are laws governing declaration of origin that might be being violated but they could still say, "It meets the stated specs." For me, personally, it loses an element of its special character if it is US made (although it certainly is no less of a performer) so I have "alternatives."

quote:

Originally posted by doctormdds:
It is TRULY sad when a product of equal quality loses its appeal simply because it's made in the USA.

Ditto......I've been thinking the same thing for a while, just haven't commented on it.

-

Ditto......I've been thinking the same thing for a while, just haven't commented on it.

Right on, Wavin'. My thoughts exactly.

Nice pic is that you? LOL I can't help but laugh looking at that

An AMERICAN elf.
lol.gif
Good work finding that one. PERFECT!!
patriot.gif
lol.gif

Who give a Schlitz Malt Liquor where it's made? As long as it meets the same specs as the "Made In Germany" stuff it could be hot pink and have "Made In Cuba" on it for all I care.

all along there have been bottles with made in USA and made in Germany of 0w30. though I never checked the date code of the made in USA bottles, just assumed they were concurrent production. I agree, seeing how Castrol USA can't keep a web site with correct information I doubt any answers on the tech line are worth a hill of beans

Made in US stuff has not sown the same performance as the German version in the past, it is highly doubtful it has the same components, and it did not carry the same specs on the bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by doctormdds:
It is TRULY sad when a product of equal quality loses its appeal simply because it's made in the USA.

But that's the rub: Is it of equal quality? Until we see some UOAs, the GOLD 0w30 is an unknown quantity regardless of the OEM approvals listed on the bottle.

we have seen one or two UOA's of the gold so far, it seems highly possible it is the same or nearly so. If I needed it I would use it till proven otherwise.

There you go again. A product is tried and convicted without a shred of proof. Seems to me that the Castrol tech just read from the script in front of him that others have reported hearing before.

Hi,
Pablo - respect for your competitors is a good business decision!

As Tooslick (My Mate Ted) has said Castrol blends from locations (and basestock) as required
Formula SLX 0w-30 (the original GC) was originally blended in Germany and we recieved the suspect product in 1996. It was imported into here for about 12 months. It was then blended (and reformulated twice) locally until about 2001. It was then withdrawn

Regards
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back