Euro Oils, Decisions Decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, first post. Been a lurker for a while and have searched/researched this topic as much as possible. First off, I am currently running Motul 300V Power 5w-40 in my 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo w/ about 100k miles on it. From what I've read, it (the Motul) uses a 100% diester base oil. I've also gathered that ester base oils are superior. Now that brings up my question. I'm still experimenting trying to find what I like best in terms of oils, so I've lined up my choices for the next OC. They are, in no particular order:

Fuchs Silkolene Pro S 5w-40
Motul 300V Power 5w-40
Elf Excellium LDX 5w-40
Agip Synthetic 5w-40
Pentosin Synthetic 5w-40

Now, I am led to believe that the Fuchs and Agip oils are using ester base oils. Anyone know the percentage? I searched but found no indication of whether the Pentosin and and Elf are using ester base stocks. I like the Motul, but the car takes 6 qts each oil change and as you can imagine, that plus the cost of the $10 OEM filter can get a bit pricey. If there is general agreement that it(Motul) is the best choice for my application, then I'll stick with it, but if there is something that can do the same or better job, then I'll want to try it out. Basically, what I'm looking for out of the oil is max protection along with good performance. Long drain intervals aren't a big concern as I only drive about 6k miles a year.

This forum is quite a learning experience for me
smile.gif
. Thanks much in advance.

If you like the 300V and are into ester then try the Motul E-tech 0W-40. It is also ester based, albeit not to the same degree as the 300V, which is 100% ester (2 types). It does carry every prestigious manufacturers spec, though. The Redline 5W-40 is also a good choice. Probably the best combo of ester/price out there. You can find it for $8.95 online at Turner motorsports or 247-online.com. It is most, if not all ester-based and is made for the street unlike the 300v, which is alright for the street but is at heart a racing oil. The Agip synthetic (I assume you mean the Synthetic PC) is not ester-based. They have an ester oil but it is not readily available in the states. The PC is grp.III. The Fuchs is good but is also expensive (almost as much as the 300V) and only comes in 5 liter jugs; not very convenient to carry w/ you for top offs. The Elf is good and is a PAO but a very good oil. Pricey though, too, for what it is.

Silkolene is 20%+ diester Balance PAO
Motul 300V 20% diester balance ester/PAO

quote:

Originally posted by HardCharger:
If you like the 300V and are into ester then try the Motul E-tech 0W-40. It is also ester based, albeit not to the same degree as the 300V, which is 100% ester (2 types).

The 8100 is probably has nowhere near as much ester as Motul would have you believe, certainly not as much as 300V. I think Molakule said in a VOA thread that it's also a mix of diester, PAO and polyesters.

quote:

Originally posted by White850T5:
From what I've read, it (the Motul) uses a 100% diester base oil.

I don't know where you guys get this information. I don't think new 300V series oils are 100% diester.
Please read this Autralian MOTUL site, http://www.motul.com.au/fact_sheets/estel_oil.html
Also make sure to click 'Comparison Chart.' Based on this site, I am certain that new 300V series are not just diester. They call it, 'Complex Ester'. Sure, its molecule chain looks very complicated
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Labatt Bear:

quote:

From what I've read, it (the Motul) uses a 100% diester base oil.

I don't know where you guys get this information. I don't think new 300V series oils are 100% diester.
Please read this Autralian MOTUL site, http://www.motul.com.au/fact_sheets/estel_oil.html
Also make sure to click 'Comparison Chart.' Based on this site, I am certain that new 300V series are not just diester. They call it, 'Complex Ester'. Sure, its molecule chain looks very complicated
grin.gif

What on that site are you saying to look at? Where does it indicate any other base oil in the 300V range? If anything, it drives home the fact that the oil is 100% ester. Where do you read anything other than ester base in there?

[ July 09, 2005, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: HardCharger ]

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:

quote:

If you like the 300V and are into ester then try the Motul E-tech 0W-40. It is also ester based, albeit not to the same degree as the 300V, which is 100% ester (2 types).

The 8100 is probably has nowhere near as much ester as Motul would have you believe, certainly not as much as 300V. I think Molakule said in a VOA thread that it's also a mix of diester, PAO and polyesters.

That's what I said in my original comment, that it is not as high a % of ester as the 300V oils. On the specs sheet it says "ester-based". That has got to mean something, no? And I'm curious where all the assumptions on this forum come from. Everyone seems to know more about a particular oil than the manufacturer. Interesting. And isn't it polyolester, not polyester? Also, how can you tell the base stock of an oil from a VOA as was stated. If that were the case, why was all that money spent trying to find out the base of GC?

quote:

Alright guys, first post. Been a lurker for a while and have searched/researched this topic as much as possible. First off, I am currently running Motul 300V Power 5w-40 in my 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo w/ about 100k miles on it. From what I've read, it (the Motul) uses a 100% diester base oil. I've also gathered that ester base oils are superior. Now that brings up my question. I'm still experimenting trying to find what I like best in terms of oils, so I've lined up my choices for the next OC. They are, in no particular order:

Fuchs Silkolene Pro S 5w-40
Motul 300V Power 5w-40
Elf Excellium LDX 5w-40
Agip Synthetic 5w-40
Pentosin Synthetic 5w-40

Now, I am led to believe that the Fuchs and Agip oils are using ester base oils. Anyone know the percentage? I searched but found no indication of whether the Pentosin and and Elf are using ester base stocks. I like the Motul, but the car takes 6 qts each oil change and as you can imagine, that plus the cost of the $10 OEM filter can get a bit pricey. If there is general agreement that it(Motul) is the best choice for my application, then I'll stick with it, but if there is something that can do the same or better job, then I'll want to try it out. Basically, what I'm looking for out of the oil is max protection along with good performance. Long drain intervals aren't a big concern as I only drive about 6k miles a year.

This forum is quite a learning experience for me
smile.gif
. Thanks much in advance.

In all honesty, any of those oils will take all that the turbo volvo could dish out. It is a low-boost turbo engine putting out 200hp tops, if that. If you want to save a few bucks and want the best possible protection, go for the Redline 5W-40.

quote:

And I'm curious where all the assumptions on this forum come from. Everyone seems to know more about a particular oil than the manufacturer. Interesting. And isn't it polyolester, not polyester? Also, how can you tell the base stock of an oil from a VOA as was stated. If that were the case, why was all that money spent trying to find out the base of GC?

You're right, it's Polyolester, not polyester. And I got my information from this thread here :
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000158#000012

Molakule is a chemist and a well respected member in this forum, and I trust his comments. Does he work for Motul ? No. But if you think you have the knowledge to challenge his assumptions, go for it.

quote:

In all honesty, any of those oils will take all that the turbo volvo could dish out. It is a low-boost turbo engine putting out 200hp tops, if that. If you want to save a few bucks and want the best possible protection, go for the Redline 5W-40. [/QB]

Well, it's not exactly stock either, which is the reason I've been using a racing oil like 300V. Among the modifications are 16T turbo @ 1 bar boost, 3" downpipe, 2.5" mufflerless cat-back, MTE chip, big bore TB, K&N filter, port 'n polish intake manifold matched to head. It's making over 300 crank hp and nearly 350 ft. lb torque w/ these mods.

BTW, I posted this yesterday afternoon and am overwhelmed with the responses I got in a 12 hr period
smile.gif
. I suppose what I'm looking for is like a numbered list of the oils I listed above, going from most suitable for my application to least. Thanks guys
wink.gif

quote:

quote:

And I'm curious where all the assumptions on this forum come from. Everyone seems to know more about a particular oil than the manufacturer. Interesting. And isn't it polyolester, not polyester? Also, how can you tell the base stock of an oil from a VOA as was stated. If that were the case, why was all that money spent trying to find out the base of GC?

You're right, it's Polyolester, not polyester. And I got my information from this thread here :
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000158#000012

Molakule is a chemist and a well respected member in this forum, and I trust his comments. Does he work for Motul ? No. But if you think you have the knowledge to challenge his assumptions, go for it.

That particular thread was dealing w/ the E-tech 0W-40, not the 300V 5W-40. They are two completely different animals. The E-tech is an "ester-based" (ester/pao) street oil that has the major european manufacturers approvals while the 300V is a race oil that uses a di-ester base (100%) and is arguably the best oil in the world right now. It carries no approvals, because as you know that that can bridle an oils "balls-out" capabilities. It's the reason Redline doesn't carry any approvals, per se. The 300V exceeds "all existing standards", as does Redline assuredely. The 300V is used by all the teams at Le Mans for the past 2 years or so. Two totally different oils that you might have gotten confused.

quote:

quote:

In all honesty, any of those oils will take all that the turbo volvo could dish out. It is a low-boost turbo engine putting out 200hp tops, if that. If you want to save a few bucks and want the best possible protection, go for the Redline 5W-40.
Well, it's not exactly stock either, which is the reason I've been using a racing oil like 300V. Among the modifications are 16T turbo @ 1 bar boost, 3" downpipe, 2.5" mufflerless cat-back, MTE chip, big bore TB, K&N filter, port 'n polish intake manifold matched to head. It's making over 300 crank hp and nearly 350 ft. lb torque w/ these mods.

BTW, I posted this yesterday afternoon and am overwhelmed with the responses I got in a 12 hr period
smile.gif
. I suppose what I'm looking for is like a numbered list of the oils I listed above, going from most suitable for my application to least. Thanks guys
wink.gif
. [/QB]

Nice setup! I would personally do (and I am very anal about my car and the oil that goes into it, and I've owned some high HP turbo cars in the past) the Redline 5W-40 followed by the Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 followed by the E-tech 0W-40 followed by the Elf excellium LDX 5W-40 followed by the Pentosin 5W-40. I currently own a 05 Audi S4 that has a mix of X-cess 5W-40 and 300V 5W-40 in a 60/40 ratio. My previous car was a 2001.5 S4 w/ a twin turbo V6 w/ a chip and full exhaust (DP's and CB) and an intake.

quote:

That particular thread was dealing w/ the E-tech 0W-40, not the 300V 5W-40. They are two completely different animals. The E-tech is an "ester-based" (ester/pao) street oil that has the major european manufacturers approvals while the 300V is a race oil that uses a di-ester base (100%) and is arguably the best oil in the world right now. It carries no approvals, because as you know that that can bridle an oils "balls-out" capabilities. It's the reason Redline doesn't carry any approvals, per se. The 300V exceeds "all existing standards", as does Redline assuredely. The 300V is used by all the teams at Le Mans for the past 2 years or so. Two totally different oils that you might have gotten confused.

rolleyes.gif
Um no, I'm not confused. I never mentioned 300V 5w-40 anywhere in my posts. You originally recommended 8100 0W-40 to someone who didn't want to use 300V, then you questioned where I got my info from on the makeup of 8100 0W-40.

quote:

quote:

rolleyes.gif
Um no, I'm not confused. I never mentioned 300V 5w-40 anywhere in my posts. You originally recommended 8100 0W-40 to someone who didn't want to use 300V, then you questioned where I got my info from on the makeup of 8100 0W-40.

Yeah, I think I got yours and Labatt Bears posts confused. He was claiming the 300v is not 100% di-ester from the Motul website (
dunno.gif
) and then you had said that the E-tech was not as high a % of esters as Motul would have you believe. Then I was combining the response from you to the original posts. But yes, the E-tech isn't 100% ester. It's 100% synthetic-ester based. The di-ester IS a complex ester and a polyolester, not a di-ester and a polyolester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back