Base oil of GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is German Castrol 0w-30 and ester based oil or a PAO based oil. Or some combination of the above or something completely different? I've read VOA's but no one seems to be able to point me in the right direction regarding what type of synthetic oil it is.

Thanks

[ July 02, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: slickfisher ]

quote:

A bunch of us chipped in and dropped major $$$ on finding that out:

How much was collected for the GC Green analysis? Is there a reserve from that collection? If so, how much added on to the reserve would be needed to do a test of the GC "gold"?

It's about time to know . . . you know?

Is there a process for receiving and deciding about study suggestions? Over 40 persons donated for the original GC green analyis. I would guess they should somehow be a part of the discussion/decision related to study suggestions. I've come late to BITOG and the GC forum so I haven't contributed yet, but would be willing to donate to a study of the GC gold.

Decision making criteria? How about a majority vote? Or require approval from 60% of the donors to initiate a new study covered by the fund surplus? Orrrr r r r . . . has a decsion-making process already been developed, given that there is a surplus from the original GC study fund raising effort?

Just asking what the process is--or could/should be--for initiating an oil study.

?????
confused.gif

Is there a process for receiving and deciding about study suggestions? Over 40 persons donated for the original GC green analysis. I would guess they should somehow be a part of the discussion/decision related to study suggestions. I've come late to BITOG and the GC forum so I haven't contributed yet, but would be willing to donate to a study of the GC gold.

Decision making criteria? How about a majority vote? Or require approval from 60% of the donors to initiate a new study covered by the fund surplus? Orrrr r r r . . . has a decsion-making process already been developed, given that there is a surplus from the original GC study fund raising effort?

Just asking what the process is--or could/should be--for initiating an oil study.

?????
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bob A.:
Sorry, I had another double post. Screwed up somehow. I apologize.

Bob A.,

Is OK!
grin.gif
The glimmering, shimmering luminescence of The Gold has an effect on people.

-

Yeah. Gold can be seductive.
gr_eek2.gif
Ah, well . . .

But I've recovered from my stupor and stay focused on the mission: what is/should/can be the process for deciding how to use the surplus from the GC green analysis fund raiser? ( . . . waiting to donate to a GC gold analysis if necessary . . .
gr_stretch.gif
)

The cost that we were charged for the last test was a total gimme by Terry and MolaKule. When everyone is satisfied that the gold GC is stable, and will be around for a while, then a possible test of that is what should be pursued. Arrangements for the test have to be set up by Terry.

I do agree, the money that was collected is owned by the Donors and they have to decide. But before proceeding, I think Terry needs to have an input as to cost and when will it be feasable for him to have this testing done, and when.

Please don't send any donations to the oil study until everything is lined out and ready to go.

smile.gif

Thanks, Vetteman! I'll stay tuned.

Bruce381: I think Vetteman told us why it's not so easy to just send in a sample. The cost of breaking the Gold down into its complex parts is very costly -- as opposed to just a VOA which any one of us can afford. The original GC green analysis went deep into the molecular content of the synthetics used -- or so I understand. Since I wasn't on the forum when the study was conducted and didn't donate to the original cause, I haven't access to the detailed study results. Consequently, I'm guessing, but, in short, Vetteman told us.

Rob Taggs: Interesting info. about Shell being the source of the GC gold (and green?) base oils. Do you remember where you ran across that information?

Bob A.

I do not remember the source of the base oil being from Shell. I get on so many sites and read alot also. Could have been on the computer or could have noticed it in an article. I just recall someone asking it and the source being Shell. Who knows? Could just be a total fabrication by someone or may be the truth. I remember that the source said the base oil was from Shell based out of Houston, Texas. I hope that helps.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
When everyone is satisfied that the gold GC is stable, and will be around for a while...

smile.gif

Tony,

Excellent point...we have not had anyone report a batch later than M0507...maybe sales have slowed during the hot months, but we need to see some new batches.

Just located a batch of M0501... at a new local AZ store.
fruit.gif

AZ is brand new to our area. There are two stores now. The first one was constructed about 6 weeks ago. I bought my first 6 qts. of GC there which was M0504... (gold).

The second store opened last Thursday evening, and to my grand surprise had a whole row of M0501.

Wahoo!!!
grin.gif
and
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Taggs:
I do not remember the source of the base oil being from Shell. I get on so many sites and read alot also. Could have been on the computer or could have noticed it in an article. I just recall someone asking it and the source being Shell. Who knows? Could just be a total fabrication by someone or may be the truth. I remember that the source said the base oil was from Shell based out of Houston, Texas. I hope that helps.

I think you may be confusing GC with the US made Syntec. When Castrol first switched from PAO to Group III for these oils, the Group III base oil used was Shell's XHVI.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob A.:
Just located a batch of M0501... at a new local AZ store.
fruit.gif

AZ is brand new to our area. There are two stores now. The first one was constructed about 6 weeks ago. I bought my first 6 qts. of GC there which was M0504... (gold).

The second store opened last Thursday evening, and to my grand surprise had a whole row of M0501.

Wahoo!!!
grin.gif
and
cheers.gif

In Yakima??? WOW! Maybe there's hope for Whatcom County after all.

I really would like to try some of this GC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back