New Corvette. GC or Amsoil? (First post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been lurking here for over 3 months. I gotta tell you, This place can be addicting if you are interested in oil!

Anyway, on to the Subject. I have a new Chevy C6 corvette. I want the best protection money can buy. After all is said and done, it comes down to three oils, at least in my humble opinion.

GC 0w-30
Amsoil 10w-30
Amsoil S2K 0w-30

So. GC (the new M05 stuff) is so new we don't know if it is the real thing but pscholte says "embrace" But it isn't GM4718M rated, yet IS ACEA A3/B3/B4 and has a hi HT/HS rating, which is good.

Amsoil 10w-30 seems to shear down less than the 5w-30 and the 5w-30 seems to thicken up more, but that can be helped with LC, which I have. AND, it is rated GM4718M which is required for warranty.

Amsoil S2K 0w-30. Well, this seems to be the best oil of the Amsoil batch, if you don't count the HDEO oils. AND is rated 4718M

Lets also discount dino oils, I feel synthetics have more to offer and I am not currently worried about the cost. So dino is out.

So, confused yet? I am. On the one hand, all three are great oils. But I have run up against the proverbial, To Much Info.

My query to the forum is this!! Am I missing something so simple that my question should already be answered? Or am I truly in a conundrum and I am on my own? All opinions will be welcome. This forum has a ton of knowledge and I will listen and decide.

Thanks all.

GC 0w-30, M1 EP 10w-30, Amsoil S3k, S2k would all be great choices. I wouldn't focus on just one spec, being the ACEA A3 spec. Very misleading to go by one spec. Ultimately you'd have to run all of them and sample, but that the list I'd work with. RL for very hard driving.
smile.gif

[ April 10, 2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Not that I have any experience with it, but since we're going all-out here, what about the Synergyn products?

BTW, got the chance to tour the factory and museum in Bowling Green, KY last week. Fun stuff--worth seeing if you're ever nearby.

welcome.gif
The best thing I can tell you is that there is one happy 'Vette in the suburbs of Toronto that belongs to one happy member of The Green Clan. Is M1 EP bad? Hardly...but the one 'Vette I have cited seems to thrive on the Elixer of Life, Love, Lubricity and Certifed Corvettish Continuation.

I think you should use the factory fill M1 5W30 EP , then get a UOA with Particle count
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
What's wrong with the 5W-30 M-1 EP factory-fill... standard on all new Corvettes?

The EP is definitely not the factory fill on the Corvettes, they use the regular M1 5w30. It is too thin of an oil for the LS2 engine. The HTHS number is too low if you drive it hard.

Patman nailed it. The Mobil1 EP is not factory fill, the older Mobil1 is and there is a difference. The difference is one of the reasons Mobil1 is not on my list. That and all the reports of how thin Mobil1 is.

I think my three choices are pretty good choice and I am actually leaning towards either the S2K or the GC.

Any idea when the report on the M05 GC will be available?

Thanks to all that have responded so far and thanks pscholte for a report on the Corvette, I had missed the fact that you had one.

welcome.gif

From your neighbor in AG. If you're looking for GC, AutoZone in SLO has only the new '05 version. Morro Bay's AZ has a mix of '02 and '03 versions including some American made 0w30 and even a yellow label quart. I hid all the GC behind that yellow label one
nono.gif
this morn. They would not honor a Kragen's coupon for $3.99qt so I didn't buy any. Last time I bought GC, the store in SLO did honor the Kragen's coupon.

bgin

[ April 11, 2005, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: '00obw ]

quote:

Originally posted by NewC6:

I think my three choices are pretty good choice and I am actually leaning towards either the S2K or the GC.

Any idea when the report on the M05 GC will be available?

Be that as it may, though you can rest assured that the Amsoil product will continue to improve as technology improves. And availability will allow you to get the product just about anywhere in the US and Canada.

I really don't think you will be unhappy with either. Though I sure would like to earn your business.
grin.gif

quote:

that as it may, though you can rest assured that the Amsoil product will continue to improve as technology improves. And availability will allow you to get the product just about anywhere in the US and Canada.

I really don't think you will be unhappy with either. Though I sure would like to earn your business.

Thanks msparks but I was a dealer and am now a preferred customer, to many other things going on
smile.gif

AND I scored, went to the San Luis Obispo CA store today and hiding behind the first 6 bottles of M05 were 9 bottles of M04, which are now in my possession, at $4.99 a QT. Don't know if that is a good price but at least I have some to use until the final answer on the M05 is revealed. I may have to go to Morro Bay and score some more as referenced in a previous post.
wink.gif

Don't let my score discourage more comments, there are still questions out there begging for a long term answer.

Again, thanks to all.

quote:

quote:

that as it may, though you can rest assured that the Amsoil product will continue to improve as technology improves. And availability will allow you to get the product just about anywhere in the US and Canada.

Thanks msparks but I was a dealer and am now a preferred customer, to many other things going on
smile.gif

AND I scored, went to the San Luis Obispo CA store today and hiding behind the first 6 bottles of M05 were 9 bottles of M04, which are now in my possession, at $4.99 a QT. Don't know if that is a good price but at least I have some to use until the final answer on the M05 is revealed. I may have to go to Morro Bay and score some more as referenced in a previous post.
wink.gif

Don't let my score discourage more comments, there are still questions out there begging for a long term answer.

Again, thanks to all.

I feel a lot better now because a fellow BITOG'er was faced with a demanding choice and...........he did The Right Thing.
fruit.gif

We face many crossroads as we travel through this life
Choices that can drag us down or ones to set us free
NewC6 faced such a choice; would it end up in strife
Never would that happen because he chose to use GC
cheers.gif

[ April 11, 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

quote:

smile.gif

AND I scored, went to the San Luis Obispo CA store today and hiding behind the first 6 bottles of M05 were 9 bottles of M04, which are now in my possession, at $4.99 a QT.

Dang, I was there this morn...only checked the first 4 or 5 bottles, all '05....should've checked further..
cheers.gif
Lucky I've got 23qts already.

quote:

you can rest assured that the Amsoil product will continue to improve as technology improves.

This goes for all oils. Amsoil is faced with the same cost restraints the others are. Look at Amsoil at PC cost and compare to M1. Not really a more "expensive" lube if you ask me. S2k/S3k clearly are.
smile.gif

The recent VOA's of S2k and GC suggest a similar if not identical additive package. Could be a Lubrizol one in both. However, the GC uses more Esters it seems. Amsoil's oils are primarily PAO. Notice the low Flash points.
smile.gif

Can't go wrong with any of the oils mentioned. You'll never wear out that engine regardless. If I was going the M1 route, I'd use the 10w-30 EP and 10w-40 EP in the summer.

For Amsoil, I'd use the Series 3000. This is the oil Amsoil's CEO uses.
wink.gif

[ April 11, 2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I go way back with GM's.....Have a LS1 in a 04 GTO right now putting out over 400RWHP.....work with the LS2's now also......Patman is correct in the Mobil1 5-30 is too thin....our engines like it a little thicker for sure....you can search LS1 here and find quite a few comments......I run only Amsoil 0-30 or GC 0-30......like you....**** I have $60K in the GTO...who cares about a couple of bucks for the best oil and filter:)

quote:

Originally posted by sgtgeek:
I have $60K in the GTO...who cares about a couple of bucks for the best oil and filter:)

sgtgeek,

You have come to grips with the essence of automotive life
cheers.gif
: $60,000 (and up) investments in the machine, $5000 investments in sound systems...and some people quibble over the price of an oil change...I don't get it! Get_the_very_best_oil_and_filter_available! (OK, now the debate begins, "...and exactly what would those be?"
wink.gif

Patman nailed it. The Mobil1 EP is not factory fill, the older Mobil1 is and there is a difference. The difference is one of the reasons Mobil1 is not on my list. That and all the reports of how thin Mobil1 is.

NewC6 & whomever in disagreement
Please... find me an analysis at BITOG showing Mobil-1 shearing from 30 to 20W??

Please.. find me another BITOG analysis showing Mobil-1 (EP or not) 5W-30 to be the wrong oil for the Corvette.

Also, what I've read here recently indicate the new Mobil-1 EP is 'thicker' at operating temps than the old M-1. Again... show me otherwise!

BTW.... I prefer Castrol over Mobil-1 myself. I just don't see any reason to yank the synthetic factory-fill that GM recommends.

If it's good enough for GM.... then please tell me how GM is wrong & you are right.

quote:

NewC6 & whomever in disagreement
Please... find me an analysis at BITOG showing Mobil-1 shearing from 30 to 20W??

Please.. find me another BITOG analysis showing Mobil-1 (EP or not) 5W-30 to be the wrong oil for the Corvette.

Also, what I've read here recently indicate the new Mobil-1 EP is 'thicker' at operating temps than the old M-1. Again... show me otherwise!

BTW.... I prefer Castrol over Mobil-1 myself. I just don't see any reason to yank the synthetic factory-fill that GM recommends.

If it's good enough for GM

Mobil 1 is fine for Corvettes, more so the EP variety. Is it the best? No, but it does its job.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:

Gee I hope no one here has indicated Mobil 1 to be the "wrong" oil for the Corvette. But what you will find is that some oils (GC for example) perform better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back