Do we have any info on the new M05 batch of GC??

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOndered if the color and scent changes from the M04 to the M05 batches shown here on the board were substantiated in the VOA

Is it true now that GC going forward is no longer green and seems to be thinner.

We do not have a VOA from the 05 batch of which I am aware. DoubleDee, who is the only one who has reported seeing oil from the 05 batch (I have been looking and looking) says it is brown and thinner...he has posted pictures.

I saw the pictures and the obvious difference in color and the reported thickness.

First step would obviously to do a double-VOA of M04 and M05 GC side by side at the same lab and the same time to see if additives and viscosity have changed ... wonder why that hasn't occured yet with all the hoopla over the new formulation here.

Just scored another 10 qts. M0409 and M0428 GC today
tongue.gif

I've got 10 qt's of '03 GC in my stash. My VW is due for an oil change. I'm freakin' out over the '05 GC not being "real GC".........I may just go out & buy some BC or M1 to use for this oil change, so I can save my stash of GC until a VOA of '05 GC is in.

If '05 GC isn't "real GC", I'm gonna try & sell my '03 GC on eBay.
grin.gif

I encourage everyone not to overreact. The green color and reported gümmi bear smell were great catlysts to get this oil on people's minds and into their engines where testing/science took over to keep the excitement going. I ask you to remember that meine kleinen Freunde (my little friends) haven't let us down yet so let's get more info. If it is A3/B3 and all the other good ratings, and if it is from das Vaterland we B fine (as they say in der Schwarzewald).

It's spelled Gummi Bär Pscholte !! You of all should know how to spell this correctly in German ... mein Freund!

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
WOndered if the color and scent changes from the M04 to the M05 batches shown here on the board were substantiated in the VOA

Is it true now that GC going forward is no longer green and seems to be thinner.

Has anyone contacted Castrol to get a resonse from them regarding any differences between the two colors of GC other than color?

quote:

Originally posted by yankees1:

quote:

Has anyone contacted Castrol to get a resonse from them regarding any differences between the two colors of GC other than color?

Castrol has always denied any difference in any of their 0w-30 oils.

quote:

M0501 is still Green.

quote:

In fact I called their 1 800 # this morning. I explained the change from green GC to the traditional amber GC. She put me on hold to get further info. When she came back she explained that the green tinge was from the *German* made Castrol and the amber was the American
frown.gif
frown.gif
. I again reiterated that both oils were from Germany and at some point in production the colour changed. I wanted to know if more than just colour was different. Of course she said there was no change in formulation...sigh..

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

In fact I called their 1 800 # this morning. I explained the change from green GC to the traditional amber GC. She put me on hold to get further info. When she came back she explained that the green tinge was from the *German* made Castrol and the amber was the American
frown.gif
frown.gif
. I again reiterated that both oils were from Germany and at some point in production the colour changed. I wanted to know if more than just colour was different. Of course she said there was no change in formulation...sigh..

The Elves desperately wish Castrol would learn how to interact properly with the public... sigh I would not worry about the "American made" comment.

"... sigh I would not worry about the "American made" comment."

I'm not worried but just disappointed that
rep(s) of Castrol know much less about their product than BITOGers. It shouldnt be that way. They get paid.

quote:

I have both the green M04 & the gold M05 "German made". The gold is thinner. Hoping to find some test results before using the M05.

I will have a IR and spectro of both the MO4 and MO5 in a week then I will know if there is a difference I do not know why when all the top secrect lab work was done here this comparison was not done.
bruce

We can't tell you why ...it's Top Secret!
wink.gif

Now if you REALLY REALLY have fun doing this...you need to do the same test on Elf LDX 5W-40...yup

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
I will have a IR and spectro of both the MO4 and MO5 in a week then I will know if there is a difference I do not know why when all the top secrect lab work was done here this comparison was not done.
bruce

It was not done at the time because the gold stuff showed up just as the green test was finishing.

Ok makes sense I will have an IR next and will see how close the gold and green lot M02 and MO5
are also a VOA.
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back