GC and cleanliness revisted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pondering my next system fill and keep thinking about some posts here.

Is it a gag or true that some here suspect GC to light on detergents/dispersants?

One posted on heavy soot but others countered it could have been an unrelated problem.

Second, can an oil produce great wear numbers while the engine dirties?

The reason I ask is another post noted that ND oils are stout with AW additives, but no detergency.

If I can not sort out this dilemna next oil change will be Amsoil Series 3000 HD or M1 5W40 truck & suv.

The only post re: GC/SLX 0-30 and uncleanliness was ?Sprintman? in his Aus. VW running factory OCI's of 16k km (10k mi.) causing severe sludge/varnish requiring engine replacement. This could be a reason why the 0-30 is no longer available in Aus. but we're not sure.

This is why I think that 30 weight (even A3 ones) are a bare minimum when it comes to longer OCI's (eg. European) in most engines as I experience the same thing (as above) in my BMW. I now use 40 and 50 weights. Look at mori's engine. Unfortunately, it seems like specs are just specs....

Otherwise, all synthetics will cause cleaning to take place due to ester's polarity/affinity for metal. The problem is oil breakdown relative to the replacement interval (OCI) causing sludge/varnish over the oil's ability to clean. Heat being the culprit in the breakdown. Winter condensation doesn't help either....

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
The only post re: GC/SLX 0-30 and uncleanliness was ?Sprintman? in his Aus. VW running factory OCI's of 16k km (10k mi.) causing severe sludge/varnish requiring engine replacement. This could be a reason why the 0-30 is no longer available in Aus. but we're not sure.

This is why I think that 30 weight (even A3 ones) are a bare minimum when it comes to longer OCI's (eg. European) in most engines as I experience the same thing (as above) in my BMW. I now use 40 and 50 weights. Look at mori's engine. Unfortunately, it seems like specs are just specs....

Otherwise, all synthetics will cause cleaning to take place due to ester's polarity/affinity for metal. The problem is oil breakdown relative to the replacement interval (OCI) causing sludge/varnish over the oil's ability to clean. Heat being the culprit in the breakdown. Winter condensation doesn't help either....

Even with das Grün I stay with 5000 mile changes on my Audi twin turbo...as you say, Dr T, heat is a killer, especially over long oil change intervals...now if Mobil, Redline and the Elves could just put their heads together, we might see an oil for long OCIs in highly stessed engines...Mercedes 229.5 not withstanding...(speaking of which, have we ever heard of a MB engine, especially a turbo, having sludge and varnish problems?)(also, did Sprintman ever elaborate on what else might have been going on with his engine or on possible design problems with that particular engine?)

[ January 15, 2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Outrun, both GC (and M1 0W-40) meet these specs.

SL/CF
ACEA A3/B3 B4
VW 502.00, 505.00, 503.01
BMW Longlife-01
MB 229.1 MB229.3
Porsche Approved

How could GC be lacking in detergents and dispersants and meet these specs.???

Why worry?
grin.gif

Best info I know is that cars in Europe doing extended drains on SLX are fine and dandy, even in the 1.8t. Sludging in those engines is a N.A.-specific/API issue. I did 2 11k runs on GC then ARX'ed and found no sludge in the filters from my V6 Audi. Also Castrol just signed Abt Sportsline, //DTM// Champions, to use and endorse SLX...making it a currently-featured item for Euro consumer markets.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
The only post re: GC/SLX 0-30 and uncleanliness was ?Sprintman? in his Aus. VW running factory OCI's of 16k km (10k mi.) causing severe sludge/varnish requiring engine replacement.

I think this was actually Doug Hillary, not Sprintman.

Yes, I stand corrected...

And yes, there was a post of lawsuits by US M-B owners last year re: long-drain intervals with dealer-supplied dino. oils and engine problems. I'd have to dig it up...try to do a search.

" Is it a gag or true that some here suspect GC to light on detergents/dispersants? "

Not even close, this is one well built oil, at least the SLX/GC 0w-30 I have seen in the ASTM screens I posted here before Christmas, in the UOA results we are seeing every day, and the ongoing Gas Spectroscopy we are performing on a virgin US sample of "GC".

Yes, low wear can be achieved for long periods of time while the engine loads up. See Toyota sludge issues and others as representative examples.

Thats Why I am adamant about pointing out the fact that oil can lube but you had better clean periodically.

"ND" oils that are "SA" rated have no adds or compounds added to the base oil chemistry.

"SB" rated oils add only minimum levels of anti scuff,oil oxidation, and bearing corrosion levels of adds. These are the oils that were used from the mid 1930's until the 1964 API "SC" rating was introduced. Thats a long time for the US automotive consumer to get screwed, needlessly repairing/replacing engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back