Castrol Syntec 0W30. GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Autozone looking for some GC. Found a bottle of 0w30 Syntec. It had the black and read label. But it said made in America on the back.

Is this the same formulation as the made in Germany stuff?

Another angle: Check the bottom of the bottle for batch number. Post it here for further examination. If it's something like "M02xxx...", it's probably the older pre-GC US made stuff. If it has "M04xxx..." or M05xxx...", and it's made in the US, then please let us know right away, as this is the dreaded US made replacement for GC. I've heard that there's some of this out there, but seen none of it in my area, and I DO look around to monitor supply. If it is new, US made 0w-30, I'm going to have to go on another stocking binge. . .

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
Check the specs on the back of the bottle. (ACEA A3, B3, VW, Porche) There was some red labeled 0w-30 out prior to GC.

Okay, i confess, does it say on the bottle, made in Germany? I want to look for some of this...

darrell
sin city

All GC will say "Made in Germany" somewhere on the back. There are a couple variations of the label, though. The 2002 and early 2003 had MIG generally on the lower left side of the rear label, whereas the newer 2003 and all 2004 that I've seen has MIG on the lower right side of the rear label, just above the bar code. GC always has "0w-30" on both sides outlined in a red block, whereas if you see a yellow block, it's always US made stuff. Be careful though, as there was a small amount of US stuff made with the RED block. In short, you must find the words "Made in Germany". Also, don't be confused by "Castrol North America" language and logo which also appears nearby. Got it?
wink.gif

The Elves have asked me to make it clear that they have NOT authorized the Elixer formula to be blended anywhere but der Scharzwald. That is the only place where they can infuse their special magic into the oil. IF, and I say IF, Castrol is trying to make this oil in the US, it will be sans magie (without magic). Sie sind sanft gewarnt worden! (You have been gently warned.)

PS They also told me to tell you that a formula for extended drain interval oil that they abandoned for a better formula is missing from their lab.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back