Steering wheel is still on the wrong side...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like some of you, I have way to much time on my hands. I was driving around at work, (long drive by the way) and I got to thinking how the steering wheel is still not on the correct side of the car.

In America, you can not put mail in the mail box while driving, unless you go to the post office.

Except for drive thru fast foods, they got that right.

You can not throw out trash because it's on the wrong side.

You have to step out into traffic as well.

Now in other parts of the world, they got the steering wheel on the correct side. And then someone decided that they now how to drive on the opposite side of the road.

They came so close to getting it right!

Steering wheels will soon be obsolete, thankfully.

Only part of the car that hasn't changed in the past 100 years.

Sidesticks really are the way to go in the future. Multiple car manufacturers have significant research projects for perfecting the sidestick interface in place of clumsy, clunky, and outdated foot pedals and steering wheels.

(sorry...this really doesn't belong in the humour section)

Watching somebody learn how to drive a bobcat with skid steering does belong in the joke section.
smile.gif
I can just imagine a Cadillac with the same steering! They'll start with a bit of bucking but before you know it the Cadillac will be up on one wheel hopping sideways across the street. It is a very painful system to learn and you have both hands tied up for long periods of time.

Cheers, Steve

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
IIRC Henry Ford is responsible for moving the steering wheel to the left side back about in the Model T days. Purpose apparently was so passengers could get out on curb side instead of stepping into traffic.

That was nice of him.

IIRC Henry Ford is responsible for moving the steering wheel to the left side back about in the Model T days. Purpose apparently was so passengers could get out on curb side instead of stepping into traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back