Fumoto Valve Question/Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always shied away from the Fumoto Valve because of the lever and the manufacturer's warning to "Drive carefully at all times, and if you run over any foreign object on the road, pull over and check the valve for any damage or leak." If it had a removable Allen key for a lever I would not have hesitated to install the Fumoto, so instead I have Fram Sure Drains, but they drain very slowly.

My new used motorhome happens to have a very sheltered oil drain, which is several inches above and protected forward and rearward by the axle and steering linkage. So I decided to get a Fumoto, but now I see the next warning:

"Since the threads part of the Drain Valve is made of Brass and has hollow construction, install it by hand, and with the wrench, give only 1/4 turn to tighten it. Please take care not to over tighten."

With a quarter wrench turn I am concerned that it could work itself loose.

[ July 26, 2006, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

I use a nippled Fumoto on my Montana SV6. It is clearly the lowest point on my engine. For some reason, it just doesn't make me worry. I did take the time to tryout several different washer combinations for different thicknesses until I was able to tighten the valve and have the lever where it is not likely to be hit. My valve is more than 1/4 turn tight, but I have two thick compression washers to tighten against. I also added a rubber bulb to cover the nipple so that road grime does not contaminate the oil stream at draining. My only complaint is the drain speed. It does make sampling easy though.

Good tip for positioning the valve lever. I will want a rubber nipple over it for clean sampling. Complaint about drain speed? I thought the Fumoto was much better than Fram Sure Drain.

Co-worker installed a Sure Drain.
Said it was fine for the first few changes but over time it required more and more turning force to get it to flow. It was becoming a pain to use.
We just combined our orders for Fumoto valves.
2 for him, 2 for me...

No, they don't..Actually, I'm sure most do, but the Fumoto (over many changes) saves threads on the pan, no more fartin around with the crush washers, and best of all, no breast stroke through the oil with a magnet fishing out the plug. For frequent changes, can't beat it.

I used two crush gaskets and torqued the **** out of it, it's solid brass, this thing is sweet. Makes EVERYTHING easier. My Fumoto isn't the lowest part of the car, the frame is, no part of the oil pan is, fortunately. Now if only the filter wasn't sitting full-length over the splash protector..
freak2.gif

I just installed a Fumoto valve on my Saturn Vue combined with and adapter. The gasket they provide is somewhat compressible. That 1/4 turn sure seemed snug.

On my Vue, the valve sits in a small gap between the frame and the exhaust pipe. So it's pretty well protected.

Before fully installing it though, I recommend you tighten it by hand and check and see where another 1/4 turn will put the lever. I used a copper drain plug gasket to shim mine slightly so the lever ended up in the position I wanted it to be.

So far so good.

By the way. If you order through fumotovalve.com, enter coupon code YM4 for 10% off.

I can't comment on Sure Drain, I have never used it. The Fumoto is slower than the original plug. However, with the Fumoto you can change your oil while the engine is very hot and still have little chance of getting burnt.

For me the advantage of the fumoto was its value in sampling.

By the way, if you use a rubber bulb (I get mine from AutoZone), you have to remember to "burb" the trapped air or the bulb comes off once the engine is hot.

I have been using Sure Drains for 2 or 3 years and never had to screw it tighter and tighter. Sure Drain is great but for the low flow. Don't want to change it cold. From the photos in the ads, it appears the Fumoto drains much quicker. Obviously it won't drain as fast as pulling the plug. Anyway, my Fumoto is ordered and I look forward to many easy drains and/or sampling events.

Now, what we really need for sampling is a separate drain petcock that has a tube inside to draw a sample off from somewhere in the middle of the sump, instead of off the bottom. Then you could just let a squirt out, collect your sample, and be done with it. As it is, I usually pull half a quart or so before collecting a sample, then have to dump the half quart back in the engine.

YM4 is no longer valid.

GearGuy- Did you order the one with the nipple or without for your Vue...I might want to get one for our Vue...position of drain plug is sort of a PITA as it is more like a "side" mount than straight down or at an angle.

Goose
patriot.gif

If you have the clearance, use a fumoto with a hose barb and stick a vinyl/rubber cap over the hose barb. I had this setup on my 2002 isuzu rodeo and it was awesome. The fumoto stuck out the side of the pan & was tucked up above the frame. Even if the fumoto lever was clicked over it's locking detent and opened, it wouldn't leak past the vinyl cap shoved on the barb.

Joel

Yes I did.
F106N along with the ADL106 adapter, IIRC.
The V6 threads are straight back from the pan. The gap I mentioned above is small width wise but quite a bit of room length wise. So plenty of room and protection for the hose barb.

While installing, I hand snugged the valve and waited until left over drain oil started dripping from the end of the valve. I then quickly removed the valve and a small, thin stream of oil poured out then started dripping again. Probably less than a teaspoonful. Mind you that my Vue was up on ramps and I have a slight slope to my driveway. I mention this because some people express concern that the valve will prevent full draining of the oil. To get around this in some applications, people have found the lowest point on the valve when fully installed, then took it out and cut a groove inside the threaded end. I didn't see the need for the Vue though.

Just picked up some clear hose from Tractor Supply for draining last night. Though it will be a few months before I get to use it. It will be nice to place a 5 quart jug under the Vue, connect the hose, open the valve, and find something else to do while it drains.

I also bought a plug but I couldn't find one that was the perfect fit. The 1/2 was just loose and the 3/8" is pretty tight and stretches the plug a bit. Picked mine up at CarQuest. Brought the valve in to size up a plug. Counter guy thought it was a pretty neat product.

Ordered about 1 month ago so I am surprised that the code doesn't work anymore... Sorry about that. If there is enough interest and you write an email to them, they may offer it again.

I plan on posting pictures of my install on the SaturnFans website so I can provide a link later. I don't have a website that I can host pictures from...

TallPaul, use some teflon paste on the threads and it will act like a locktight sealant. Or use a very low grade locktight that comes loose when you need it too.

I'm too afraid to install one of those things just to have it stick out below the pan. Now with 14K OCI's, don't have to change as much so I just don't think it would be worth all the worrying in the long run. Yes, I still prefer to get under the car to look around.

Just installed a Fumoto on my wife's Grand Caravan and started an Auto-RX treatment.

This should make the clean cycles super easy.

If your drain hole faces downward, I would be concerned. But so far in both my vehicles, the valve comes straight out from the back of the pan. ANd the valve is in a fairly well protected spot. So I'm not concerned.

You install the Fumoto Valve the same way to tighten the drain plug after an oil change.

You WILL NOT damage the valve or oil pan if you tighten it the same way you tighten a regular drain plug. Lube the blue gasket with oil and you will be fine.

I installed a fumoto valve on my 04 Honda Odyssey and it is great. The drain on the pan faces the rear and I used the metal crush washer to help get the valve handle where I wanted it. I do not have to put the van on ramps to change the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back