Help with filter cap wrench slippage!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you keep an oil filter cap wrench from slipping/turning on the filter? I didn't tighten the old one that much, and had no trouble getting the previous one off, but this one kept slipping/turning over the notches on the filter.

I ended putting a couple of pieces of duct tape in a cross pattern across the top of the filter to create some grip. That worked in removing the filter, but then I couldn't hardly get the dang wrench off the old filter!!!

I was using language that should normally be used only at a drunken sailor's convention...or perhaps at one of my family reunions (Yeeeee, Hawwwww!!!)

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, or words of encouragement are welcome!!!

Some filters just plain difficult to get off, no matter what i do. You might try buying a different brand oil wrench cap to use when the other isn't giving you cooperation.

I've found that using an oversized ratchet wrench helps, giving more leverage and more room to push against the filter to give less chance of slippage.

If all else fails and you have something like a dremel, you can try putting some texture on the inside of the filter wrench to help give it some grip/traction.

I like the claw type over the cap type. Different filter mfgs. sometimes have slightly different cap sizes, as you discovered.
 -

quote:

Originally posted by beanoil:
I like the claw type over the cap type. Different filter mfgs. sometimes have slightly different cap sizes, as you discovered.
 -

Hmmmm...I like the looks of that...can you get those at most ap stores? Does it have an adjustable clamp so it can be tightened against the various size filters?

I like the three fingered self tightening filter crushing type remover with the 1/2 or 1/4 inch drive.

As apparently have the last couple people I've lent them to...You know "I distinctly remember giving you that back !!"

If I had to use a filter wrench, it would be a metal band type. Nothing else comes close to what you can do with one of these. Try squishing your cap wrench a little so you have to push it on.

I don't even own a filter wrench, you shouldn't need one if you tighten the filter properly.

"I ended putting a couple of pieces of duct tape in a cross pattern across the top of the filter to create some grip."
=============================================================

Stop giving Fram more cost cutting ideas
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
If I had to use a filter wrench, it would be a metal band type. Nothing else comes close to what you can do with one of these. Try squishing your cap wrench a little so you have to push it on.

I don't even own a filter wrench, you shouldn't need one if you tighten the filter properly.

Most of us that follow the directions on how to tighten the filter need a wrench to get it off. I am sick of you suggesting we are doing it wrong when we follow directions. If you want to skimp on tightening and risk having it come loose or leak, fine. Just knock off the insults.

One more Channellocks fan here. They are much quicker than any band wrench would be.

Line the band wrench with skate board "grip" tape. Should provide extra bite.

I also have a wrench similar to the Lisle posted above and it works well.

It seems that different filter manufacturers make different sized/shaped grips on the top of the filter-none of my cap filters will budge a hand tightened baldwin. They just flop around even though they work on other brands of filters the same size.

I ended up purchasing a filter wrench from Snap-On that looks like an oversize pair of pliers with grippy teeth. It works well when there is enough room to work.

I've never gotten the strap wrench to work for me. By the time I swing it around to tighten the strap enough to get a decent grip I usually run out of room.

I take a paper towel and put it around the filter and slip the filter cap back on.

It usually snugs it up pretty well.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
you shouldn't need one if you tighten the filter properly.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I always put mine on just under 1 turn and most times can't get it off by hand.

Those that have recommended the channellocks and strap wrenches, or metal band wrenches, or anything like that, understand that I would LOVE to use something like that. But there just isn't enough room to work!
frown.gif

It's pretty much going to have to be something that lets me grip it from the top. Nothing from the side will work...sorry.

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:
 -

Here we go ... worked this time. This one is made by Lisle and works very well. - Pep Boys.
smile.gif

Looks like I'll be making the trip to PB this weekend...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back