Toyota's 'Hybrid Synergy Drive' Ad Campaign > HURRY, article goes poof Wed, 10-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the commercial referred to
in the first and last pieces? What are your thoughts regarding the opinions expressed therein?

The second piece might draw some good commentary, too.

"Openly playing the American consumer public for gullible dupes who can be convinced of anything, Toyota has gone beyond all boundaries of decency with this corporate ad."

Yeah, I've seen the fluffy ad. Ain't no big deal. I'm just grateful they stopped singing and jumping and having parties at the dealership in the stupid Toyota ads. The autoextremist author must have just woken up from a long coma if he has problems with any advertising. Wait until he sees what's happening in the real world.

I once saw a Toyota Landcruiser..which, if I'm not mistaken, is the biggest, most gas-thirsty SUV they sell (13/16 city/highway)..with a "NO WAR FOR OIL" sticker on it.

Apparently, something...maybe their work with hybrids... has somehow caused their full-size SUVs to become guilt-free purchases, too, at least among the sort of idiot who would stick that sort of bumper sticker on the sort of vehicle that gets that sort of fuel economy.

I haven't seen the ad. Sounds like it should be an ad for bicycles though, not cars.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
I once saw a Toyota Landcruiser..which, if I'm not mistaken, is the biggest, most gas-thirsty SUV they sell (13/16 city/highway)..with a "NO WAR FOR OIL" sticker on it.

I really don't think that driving an SUV means that you support the use of military force to acquire oil. There's things you can control, and things you can't. I can't personally control gas prices or what the governments do to get oil, but I'll continue to use as much petroleum as I can reasonably afford.

I did see a bumper sticker that seemed a little out of place on an Explorer. It said: "All in Favor of Saving Fuel, Raise Your Right Foot". Is that supposed to mean drive slower? I drive at the speed limit anyway, but I could drive everywhere at 100mph and still use less gas than that thing!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
I really don't think that driving an SUV means that you support the use of military force to acquire oil.

If you don't approve of how it is acquired, use less of it. Then, perhaps, those distasteful methods by which it is acquired won't be necessary.

For all the bigotry and rhetoric, does anybody bother to ask an owner what kind of fuel consumption they get?
http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/
How many SUV drivers take their vehicles off road the way the ad campaigns would have you believe?
The backlash against hybrids among the 'real automotive enthusiasts' is really funny to me. But I guess its to be expected when an entire society has to be taken off its addiction to gas guzzlers. In the end the all mighty dollar will settle things. We saw the begining of this in September when most supersized SUV sales tanked. How is your resale value doing by the way? Its only going to get worse.
As far as the hybrids go... get used to it. You are only going to see more and more as they get cheaper and more fuel efficient.
For the diesel hold outs, keep dreaming. Unless current emissions legislation is changed, the emissions equipment on a diesel car will be more expensive than a hybrid in 2007.

[ October 10, 2005, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: jtantare ]

"what if all cars produces 80% less emissions." Yeah, what if all of Toyota's did, instead of only two.
rolleyes.gif

Air seems fine up here in MN with no emissions testing.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
I really don't think that driving an SUV means that you support the use of military force to acquire oil.

I have driven a Toyota 4runner over the last 6 years. I was a marcher against invading Iraq--so I certainly cannot be called one who supported a war for oil. I also happen to get around 19MPG driving t and from work and 22MPG on the highway. Not great, but not that bad either. And to boot, it has been the most reliable car I have ever driven, and is running like a top at 125K miles.

Over the last 3 years, I have put over 1,000 bags of dirt, manuer, compost, and mulch in the back of this vehicle. So, anything smaller really would not be all that useful to my weekend activities.

And then 2-3 times a year I actually take this 2WD vehicle up some pretty terrible roads to the astronomical observing site in Ft Davis Tx carrying several hundred pounds of telescopes--none of which would fit in a regular car or station wagon of modern ilk.

On the other hand, I really don't want a larger SUV either.

And for the record, it has been washed twice.....

quote:

Over the last 3 years, I have put over 1,000 bags of dirt, manuer, compost, and mulch in the back of this vehicle. So, anything smaller really would not be all that useful to my weekend activities.

If you scale that back to a year or year-and-a-half, we use our 'family' vehicle quite similarly. We don't haul any telescopes any more, as I sold them a few years ago. Nevertheless, we appear to do very similar things on weekends and such. We do them with a Neon and a small, fold-up trailer I put together and built some removable sides and a floor for. We get ~50% better fuel economy with our method than what you listed with yours.

I didn't march in any way regarding either Iraqi war, except to show support for the soldiers. I wish we were not in Iraq at this point.

I saw the Lexus commercial for the Hybrid SUV. I think it was a 2-minute commercial. It's more over the top than the Prius commercial, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back