1999 VW Passat 1.8T best oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this site...just stepped over from the Passat owners site Club b5.
I have a 1999 Passat I just purchased with 39K miles on it in nice shape and running fine. All the oil changes were done at the dealer and now that I have it I want to run the best oil for the turbo engine. I am not an oil expert by any means and would like to know what is the best oil to run. Here are some considerations...

I live in Seattle, drive over the mountains once in a while, but mostly city/highway driving and the occasional "spirited" driving session.
I will soon be putting a chip in so boost will be more than stock
I would like to go with a Synthetic and still change out oil at around 3 -5K miles.
I am not really too worried about the price of oil, I am more interested in ability to protect the engine, performance, etc.
I have been told to run Mobil 1 0-40W, but is there a better one to run for my conditions? Perhaps if you could list your top 3 picks so I can make sure I can find one of them.
Any (and all) help is really appreciated.
smile.gif

Bob (Spooner)

If I were you, I'd get a 5W-40 that's A3 rated and that meets VW 502.00. If you can't find that, German Castrol 0W-30 (red label) meets VW 502.00 and is also a very good choice for your motor.

Personally, I'd pay more attention to UOAs than factory approvals... but the oils I've used meet VW approval in "some" way.
grin.gif

Widely available:

Mobil 1: 5w-30, 0w-40, 10w-30
Castrol Syntec: 0w-30 (aka "German Castrol")

5k drain should be good but you could go longer by using UOA as a gauge.

My 1.8T (chipped) runs on M1 10w-30 for the SoCal winter and 50%-50% mix of M1 10w-30 and 15w-50 for the hotter months when I go to Nevada and the Sierras. 7500-8000 drains.

[ January 21, 2004, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Bugzii ]

I see several mentions of Mobil 1, but some are saying 30 weight and some say the 0-40w. Which is best for my area (mild winters, mild summers with a few extreme days of cold and hot during the year)?
I am leaning towards the 0-40w Any other input or recommendations? ...and thanks again for the help
smile.gif

quote:

Neither one of the two is going to make your engine blow up anytime soon.

The oil you choose will not blow up your engine, but not changing your timing belt will.

I tried to follow VW's schedule on my '99 and the factory belt let go 35,000 km before the recommended interval
mad.gif
. Anyone know where I can find a 1.8T long block?
frown.gif
........ I'm not kidding..... Anyone know where I can find a 1.8T long block?

quote:

The oil you choose will not blow up your engine, but not changing your timing belt will.

I tried to follow VW's schedule on my '99 and the factory belt let go 35,000 km before the recommended interval...
Unfortunately this is not uncommon. The recommended change spec for the belt is something like 105k miles as I recall. Some of them don't make it that long which is not good with an interference engine. Shame on VW for stating an interval that makes pre-100k mile maintenance look minimal at the risk of destroying the motor. I'll be having the belt changed on my '99 Passat 1.8T in the 60k-70k mile range. And changing the "lifetime" tranny fluid
rolleyes.gif
this Spring.

Matt

quote:

Unfortunately this is not uncommon.

I keep hearing this. So much so that it sounds like there ought to be a class action suit. But, I can find nothing. Do you know of a web site or a group dealing with this problem? I know Club B5 well, but it seems to be of little help on this front.

Not only I'd look for ACEA A3 rating, I'd definately look for ACEA A3/B3/ B4

The ACEA B4 performance requires an outstanding detergent/dispersent power and a better viscosity increase resistance.

Also I'd look for VW 502.00 / 505.00 / 503.01 and Mercedes Benz 229.3 approval marks. I guess my choice would be
1. M1 0W-40
2. GC 0W-30

quote:

Originally posted by txmatt:
Unfortunately this is not uncommon.

offtopic.gif

Yup, I'll be changing mine at 60K miles as well. The maintenance schedule for my model year ('01) suggests 120K miles.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
Yeah right.

It's actually the TB tensioner that often fails prematurely, not the TB itself, alas the end result is the same - bent valves.
frown.gif

The tensioner was updated around '99 model year, but I've heard of a few failures of these newer versions as well.

As far as class action suit, I'm not aware of any, but there was a person on AudiWorld A4 forum sometime last year trying to gether data to start one. No idea how far he's gotten with it.

So I think what I am reading into this is that the mobil 1 5w 30 is better than the 0w 40 for my Seattle climate (with occasional cold or hot spells)and my turbo. So is the following list a good starting point for me to consider?
1 M1 5w-30 (trisyn or SS?)
2 M1 0w-40 (trisyn or SS?)
3 Redline 5w-40
4 Delvac 1 5w-40

Also I am currently running a dino oil from Jiffy lube...should I use Auto Rx to clean before switching to Synth? (I am at 40K miles)
thanks once again
smile.gif

Also I too will change out my TB before 60K

TriSyn is the previous version, only SuperSyn is now available. Although 0w-40 has the VW approval, UOAs have shown that 5w-30 resulted less wear and shearing for this engine, especially in "extended" drains. If you can find German Castrol 0w-30, I would go for it. Delvac and Redline are a notch higher in quality and price. These multi-vis grades should perform well in Seatle weather.

A Auto-Rx is a good idea, so is watching that timing belt.

quote:

Originally posted by Yuk:

quote:

Neither one of the two is going to make your engine blow up anytime soon.

I tried to follow VW's schedule on my '99 and the factory belt let go 35,000 km before the recommended interval
mad.gif
. Anyone know where I can find a 1.8T long block?
frown.gif
........ I'm not kidding..... Anyone know where I can find a 1.8T long block?

start with the classifieds at www.vwvortex.com

quote:

Originally posted by Spooner:
and now that I have it I want to run the best oil for the turbo engine.

I am not an oil expert by any means and would like to know what is the best oil to run.

I will soon be putting a chip in so boost will be more than stock

I would like to go with a Synthetic and still change out oil at around 3 -5K miles.

I am not really too worried about the price of oil, I am more interested in ability to protect the engine, performance, etc.

I have been told to run Mobil 1 0-40W, but is there a better one to run for my conditions?

There is not an oil out there that is much better for your car/engine, and operating conditions: Redline 5w-40

VW 502 spec is for turbos, 503.01 is for long-life applications, like 10,000 miles. M1 0w-40 meets these as well as German Syntec 0w-30. Beligum Castrol Syntec 5w-40 from either the dealer or Speed Shop meets 502 and is cheap, that's what I'd use for best oil in your climate. Change it twice a year, it is too thick for long-life spec. In a pinch, Syntec 5w-50 or $2 Syntec BLEND 10w-40 meets the basic ACEA A3 spec. Make sure ANY oil you use meets at least this spec.

quote:

Originally posted by Spooner:
I see several mentions of Mobil 1, but some are saying 30 weight and some say the 0-40w.

Look over the UOAs of both M1 5w-30 and M1 0w-40 in 1.8T engines on the UOA forum. Generally, the M1 5w-30 delivers similar or lower wear numbers and does not shear as much as M1 0w-40. At 5K mile oil change intervals, I don't see any reason to run M1 0w-40 over M1 5w-30 in this engine. But then, this is where we become anal and begin splitting hairs. Neither one of the two is going to make your engine blow up anytime soon.
lol.gif

Ok thanks everyone,
Here is my plan (from what I am reading here),
First I want to get a used oil analysis on my dino oil and on my new oil as it wears.
I want to use Auto Rx in my current dino oil and then do the rinse with more dino oil. After that I will switch to most likely the Redline 5w-40 and start running that with drains at about 5K. I will get a UOA on the redline to see how that is doing in the 1.8T engine.

Any final comments or suggestions?

This site is a real help, thanks to all of you for the words of wisdom.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back