Do you throw away Oil bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to some things about Enviromental protection.. i'm a little paranoid. I like to Recycle, reduce as much as possible.. keeping the car well maintained for lower emission etc..

I was so sad to see hundreds of emtpy oil bottles in the trash when I was at the Naval Auto Hobby shop.. sure they recycle the Oil filters and the oil.. but the bottles(in which theres oil still left in every single bottles) goes to the landfills.)

What do you guys do with them? or do you just carelessly throw them away?

I rinse mine out completely using Simple Green cleaner, and then recycle the #2, High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Amsoil bottles. The key is you have to get all the oil residue out of the bottles.

TS

Imagine how much free oil you could have, if you could get the last teaspoon full from each one of those bottles...
smile.gif

There's a cement factory about 50 miles east of Toronto that would make a great place to dispose of our old oil bottles, and other contaminated plastics. Their kiln burns hot enough to eliminate any black smoke from burning plastic. It's too bad they can't do this.

I reuse mine to store the used oil and then take then to the recycle center/waste depot after some stocking up, along with filters, misc. worn metal parts, etc. w/o charge. I'm not sure what they do with the bottles after though.

I wouldn't think they would take empty motor oil containers even if they were washed out, because well, I don't think they take the time to even notice such was done. Our local recycle program also states things like "no wide mouth containers", etc.

I guess it has a lot to do with how developed one's local recycle program/facilities are.

As for the burning of the plastic, well we might have to wait some time for something even more remarkable, such as a thermal depolymerization plant that was sited in the "Anything into Oil" article, to become a local part of our waste stream management program/protocal.

Nice to hear the concern(s).

Whatever you do, don't talk to an environmental science major about recycling. Just don't do it.

In most states, the recycling programs create more waste then they get rid of
frown.gif

And ya, if they even see an oil container it gets chucked immediately, no matter how much time you spent cleaning it
frown.gif

screw the enviroment. and screw the little bit of oil still in the bottle. i am not going to pay for something that wit tossed out anyway. there is no way to "safely" recycle every drop of oil. some of it will leak in to the enviroment no matter what. its not like i dump used oil into the ground. by the time them bottles decompose the drop of oil left in them wont make much of a diffrence anyway. even if you rinse out the bottles the oil you are rinsing out of them has to go somewhere.

In my community recycling is easy. One container for recyclables and other for everything else and roll to the curb. However, oil containers are not recyclable. Even so, I am going to check again to be sure.

I am for recycling all I can as I want to reduce what goes into land fills (AKA preservation pits.

As the population continues to grow, we had better be concerned over the environment. As a community planning consultant, I see plenty of environmental damage for many reasons. Rant off!

i put my used oil back into new oil bottles and throw the lot away.i use to just drain the oil onto the ground but i finally stopped doing that. i dont recyle anything at all though and i doubt i will.

quote:

In most states, the recycling programs create more waste then they get rid of [Frown] .

Well, I don't know about that ..but they're very lame and flawed in concept.

In PA they required recycling programs for every comunnity over 5000 residents. Naturally outfits like Waste Managment charged fees for collecting all these goods and they ended up ..typically in the exact same spot that the rest of the trash did ..in the land fill. The exception being aluminum. Every program ..that varied from community to community could select the various items aside from the lucritive aluminum/metals to recycle. The next township may have done newspaper ..other this or that. Whatever they had no market for ..ended up in the landfill.

The program was conceptually designed to create a supply stream ahead of the demand for such products. This was 100% financed by the public via mandated municipal fees. My counter to this was that there's been a ample supply of manure from various sources for centuries ..yet no major demand has been created just because of the establishment of this supply.

The way you make a national recycling program work is that you require packaging to be of XX% recycled material ..you then up that % on, regular, timed intervals ...up to the point that all packaging is 100% perpetually recyclable. This would create DEMAND for post consumer packaging items. It would spawn new technologies and products and then recyclers would bid for the right to collect these items for NOTHING. The entire process would be market driven and "take care of itself".

I recycle everything that I can.
patriot.gif
Unfortunately, I cant recycle old oil containers so I just throw them in the trash.

No recycling in my rural county. I do take the Used oil in my drain pans out to the dumb where they use it to heat the garages.. Other then that just toss 'em.

I just throw mine away. I keepaliot of my gallon containers for used oil disposal but otherwise they get thrown out.

As far as community recycleing goes, I use my recycle container as a tomatoe planter.
grin.gif

The city waste enough money on this feel good issue that is not effective in reducing waste and cost more to recover recycled materials than it produces. You want recycling to work? Make it profitable.

There's an incinerator about 20 miles from me that burns all the region's trash, and turns it into energy. It must be fairly clean burning, as it's new, and hasn't been shut down yet.

We have recycling... newspaper, #1 and #2 plastic, metal, glass. My town doesn't come and get it or rubbish; one has to haul it all to the transfer station. They pay the incinerator to take it then we pay for the power they put on the grid. What a racket. It was built in poorville and the residents are complaining about odor.... so they wash the street in front with hoses and call it good.

They forbid recycling the oil containers, even though they're #2, so they just go poof in a ball of flame in that giant incinerator. One can recycle cardboard but not pizza boxes.... imagine that.
rolleyes.gif

Supposedly you can get the last drips out of an oil bottle with a double threaded gizmo called a "ketchup saver".

No recycling of oil bottles here, although we can recycle just about anything else you can think of.

This is part of why I prefer to buy my oil in the gallon jugs or larger - less trash to throw in a landfill somewhere.

Some of you might be surprised at how effective recycling can actually be. We've managed to put off major landfill construction or expansion for many years - statewide over 25% of our refuse is now recycled in one way shape or form.

Heck, someone even mentioned manure - we're working on electrical generators powered off - you guessed it - manure from various sources...

As far as getting that last little bit out, my Grandfather built a nice little stand to hold emtpy quarts that goes into a drip rail and collects in a container. He uses the last drops in a little oil can for lubing this and that...

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
I recycle everything that I can.
patriot.gif
Unfortunately, I cant recycle old oil containers so I just throw them in the trash.

OH MAN.. I FORGOT THE AMERICAN FLAG TOO!!!

I recycle everything that I can too
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

That's why I like Amsoil's 2.5 gallon jugs. Less space to take up in the trash and I'm going to use that much oil any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back