Toyota- Build Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Omni.

I have it on good authority that the Omni was a fairly reliable car that would pretty much run forever if maintained.

I know this because I started talking trash about the Omni *I* once owned to my mechanic, and he told me what he thought about them.

I'll defer to his experience with them since he's worked on many and I've only owned ONE.

Really, there wasn't that much wrong with mine. Probably the biggest issue I had with it was the 80s yellow color it was.

offtopic.gif

Brianl703 - Probably the biggest issue I had with it was the 80s yellow color it was.

Now just what was wrong with the 80's yellow? It was stylish and hip!

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
I hate Toyota's aggressive and primitive ad campaigns, too. Sometimes they're really annoying. I really don't "get the feeling".

Compare that to Ford's almost non-existent advertising.

They don't make commercials for anything but their SUVs lately, and even then, they're rarely seen.

If a boring car equates to a reliable car. To me the more boring a car is the better. I am tired of shoving out money for car repair bills, and getting stuck on roadside waiting for tow trucks. I like Toyota cars the way they are.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
In time if things keep going the way they are GM will be way ahead of Toyota.

Your dreaming and dillusional Chris!

said Joe Ivers, J.D. Power’s executive director of quality/customer satisfaction. “However, while the domestics continue to outpace the Europeans, the Japanese continue to dominate.”

Keep in mind that these Toyota vehicles are built in the USA by Americans, using American products and American engineering.

Don't tell me I'm dreaming and dillusional...the way you talk YOU are!
Look at the above link to JD. Powers.
Buick, Lincoln and Cadillac all have less problems per 100 vehicles then Toyota!
Buick-187
Lincoln-194
Cadillac-196
Toyota-216
So yes GM and other American manufactures are catching up and passing your beloved Toyota. GM will pass them up in the near future and in some cases already have. So I'm not the dillusional one, if you opened your eyes you see you are!

I still stand by my 1st comment. Toyota makes great vehicles but GM, Ford and Dodge do as well and they are not the junk you say they are.

Your still dillusional! Who is tops on the list and has been there for many years now? Does the name Lexus (Toyota) mean anything?

What is with the boring thing. If you think the Lexus GS, Toyota Landcruiser, 4-Runner, Lexus LS, Toyota Tacoma, Sequoia and some others are boring then I don't know what to say....The Landcruiser is the benchmark of excellence!!!!!!

Boy Amkeer

For someone who told me on another thread that you dont bash other peoples cars, your doing a pretty good job on this thread:)

You remind me of my Uncle, he loves his Toyotas and gets ****** when someone else
chooses another make. He told me 12 years ago my Shadow Turbo wouldnt last past 70 Kmiles LOL and that I should have bought a Corrolla. Here we are 12 years later
my Shadow still runs with 196K miles and his 88 Camry from long ago was traded in about 93 for another Camry, his 93 was traded in on a 99 Avalon. he probably puts 60K one em and dumps em.
He brags about Toyota quality but never keeps them long. Another Uncle drives his Toyotas into the ground, has a 92 Camry with about 100K but it really looks decrepid and at Holidays I never fail to point out all the body rot on his car to my other Uncle to prove a point that they arent perfect and that other makes have much better body integrity. You just have to compare like age cars to see this.

VNT

quote:

Your still dillusional! Who is tops on the list and has been there for many years now? Does the name Lexus (Toyota) mean anything?

What is with the boring thing. If you think the Lexus GS, Toyota Landcruiser, 4-Runner, Lexus LS, Toyota Tacoma, Sequoia and some others are boring then I don't know what to say....The Landcruiser is the benchmark of excellence!!!!!!

I guess I should define boring in my terms its too broad. I consider a boring car one with average handling, no road feel and isolation from the road. Toyota/Lexus are experts at this. I also don't like SUV's as even the best handling don't hold a candle to an average sedan with exception of maybe a select few. SUV's are not fun to drive, but pleasant and comfortable.

Toyota has the Lexus IS300 otherwise what else that is even comparable to a BMW, Audi S series or Mercedes in driving dynamics. Even my car a Subaru WRX, they make nothing comparable.

quote:

4-Runner, Lexus LS, Toyota Tacoma, Sequoia and some others are boring then I don't know what to say....The Landcruiser is the benchmark of excellence!!!!!!

-------
one of my friends has a 4-runner, and once I was riding in it with him, and I was dismayed to notice how flimsy the doors felt: so light, and THIN!!!...and that thing had trouble getting up hills, constantly shifting back and forth betw. 3rd/OD, with high revving and screaming engine: weak.

Try the a ride in the new 4runner, it will smoke your car likely with its powerful v6 or v8. The old Toyota's 4runners were enimic at best, my father has a problem free one that is from 1990. It does have those flimsy doors and anemic engine you speak of but everything works down to power antenna. He only drives it 2000 miles a year as he works overseas.

You guy's are too funny!
lol.gif
Relax, we all know Toyota makes great cars, as to other manufacturers. My question was HOW does Toyota make a car and why are they leading the industry?
grin.gif

You guys crack me up! Why don't you look over this list and lets get back to reality.....

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/cons...dex.html/?tid=edmunds.e.landing.bestcars..2.*

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/consumersmostwanted/2003/index.html

And let me further help you along here since we seem to have a "failure to communicate". I will quote from Edmunds.

Consumer voting for full-size SUVs exactly mirrors our recent SUV comparison test in terms of ranking. The plush and refined Toyota Sequoia grabbed top honors with nearly half of all votes. The domestics fell way behind with less than 20 percent. Curiously, the GMC Yukon had a 1 percent advantage over its very similar GM stablemates, the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban. Voting for the recently redesigned Ford Expedition nearly mimicked the Tahoe/Suburban, so much so that they end up in a tie with 16 percent of the vote each. The soon-to-be-extinct Ford Excursion garnered only 3 percent.

And again:

Long-time favorite Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX 470 flexed its muscles and took the top of the class by edging out the beefy newcomer Hummer H2. Nearly 31 percent of the votes for the best large SUV over $45,000 went to the Toyota while the rugged Hummer received 27 percent of the ballots that were cast. The Cadillac Escalade/Escalade ESV was a distant third. A very close race for last place was fought between the Lincoln Navigator — with 13 percent of the votes — and the Mercedes-Benz G-Class with 12 percent.

And some more:

The Big Three may own the full-size segment, but Toyota is the clear choice in compact trucks — at least as far as this year's Most Wanted voters are concerned. With 39 percent of the vote, the Toyota Tacoma blew the rest of the field away. Nissan's Frontier was a distant second with 16 percent while the Dodge Dakota and Ford Explorer Sport Trac were third and fourth with 13 percent and 12 percent, respectively. The rest of the votes went to the Ford)/Mazda twins (8 percent), Subaru's Baja (7 percent) and GM's Chevrolet/GMC duo (5 percent).

And we will end it here:

With 30 percent of the "Yeas," the Tundra had a most convincing victory over the second-place Ford F-Series (which received 21 percent of the vote) and the third-place Dodge Ram (at 15 percent). It's déjà vu as these results mirrored those of last year's CMW. Although the Tundra may not have the prodigious hauling and towing capabilities of its American rivals, the Toyota's refinement and solid heritage were more than enough to once again win favor with our readers. The bling-bling set will be disappointed to see that the Cadillac Escalade EXT finished fourth (with 14 percent) and coming in fifth (with 12 percent) was our Editors' choice, the Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra twins.

Thats enough for me...........For now!
wink.gif
grin.gif

If you need more stuff I will show you more, let me know.

[ September 03, 2004, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

In their 1st year the Colorado/Canyon moved into 2nd place behind Tacoma. Give them a couple of years and they could take over. There were several American cars on that list.

Keep trying to tell us American is poo and Toyota is not. More like keep telling youself that, you sound like a politition telling us what we need. I still know American makers are right up there with anyone else!
patriot.gif

Let me add to this Depreciation:

Depreciation is very important especially on a vehicle in which you have a loan. I will give you an example to simplify this a little. Lets say you buy a vehicle for $30,000 and with tax, tag, transfer, etc you add another $3000. That will bring total cost around $33,000. You pay $5000 to take delivery which will put you at $28000 financed at 5 years. You drive a vehicle off the lot that is not good at holding its value. You immediately take a 20% hit or about $6000 from the $28000 owed which leaves you upside down since you now owe more than its worth. The vehicle is now worth $24000, -$4000.

You now need to sell the vehicle, what happens? You market the vehicle for sale and find several other sellers such as yourself trying to sell. Any buyers that want to buy have the upper hand since selection is high. The few buyers are vastly outnumbered by sellers driving the price lower. Not a good thing!!!!

You have a choice you can either stick it out and hold on to the vehicle, come out of pocket with cash or give up and let the lender take it back.

Just a different perspective.

Here is a list of vehicle that give you the upperhand in this depreciation:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/alg/index.html?tid=edmunds.e.conswanted.bestcars..7.*

Chris,

I already went over this for the 20th time. The Tacoma is made in the USA! The Tacoma is made in California! Engineered in Cali! Designed by Americans in Cali by Calty Research Design. The Tacoma is a North American truck!

Looky here this will help you see what they are building here:

http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/numbers/factsfigures04/na_production.html

[ September 04, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

I think most Toyota car are pretty boring, and as someone stated, there's an excitement factor that soem of us want to have in a car. Reliability is good, but if you have to get a lot of "boringness" and lack of personality(Camry is the best exmaple for that), I don't know if the vehicle is enjoyable.

I like my 97 T-bird with the modular 4.6L v-8, 280 lbs.ft torque at 2500 rpm, 205 hp at 3000 rpm, great low-end power. And apart from a DPFE-sensor and normal maintennace items, it has given me great service: now has 99,500 miles. A solidly built, heavy car(I like heavy cars) with a solid motor, and a bunch of luxury itmes, too. Very comfy on highway, and quiet, still gets 27-28 mpg: good for a v-8 ...and most of all, it has personality, and doen't look like every other car on the road, and you don't see one every 3 seconds like Camrys and Corollas do...I personally don't like to see my car every 3 seconds down the road.

Not all US-cars are bad, really. I mean, don't most those cop-cars and taxis have those 4.6L modulars? they can't be all that unreliable, with unending idling, and loads of abuse...

I hate Toyota's aggressive and primitive ad campaigns, too. Sometimes they're really annoying. I really don't "get the feeling".
People should wake up from all those "imports are always better" dreams and stop follwing "japanese is better" cliches(IMO), and take look at domestic cars, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back