difference and applicability of copper vs nickel anti-sieze

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are two types of anti-sieze thread lubricants that I see. They're either copper based, and protect up to 1800F or thereabouts, and there's nickel-based which is good up to 2600F.
What are the applicability differences between the two? And what is best to use on aluminum? Can either become corrosive on certain metals?

nevermind,
found the answer over at crcindustries.com

FYI (I guess the nickel stuff is the way to go)

quote:

I. Product Description
CRC Copper Anti-Seize and Lubricating Compound is a general purpose anti-seize lubricant that prevents seizing and galling caused by high temperatures, heavy loads, vibration and corrosion. This unique formula has a smooth texture, fine particle sizing and familiar copper color, making it an excellent choice for closely fitted parts that need extreme lubrication. Regular use of Copper Anti-Seize will increase performance and prolong equipment life.
II. Applications
Recommended to lubricate fittings, bushings, flanges, headers, nuts, screws, studs, threaded surfaces, pipes, plugs, and
manifolds to prevent seizing and galling of surfaces.
III. Features & Benefits
• Copper-Based. Safe for use on both ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
• High Temperature Resistance. Protects parts up to 1800° F.
• Electrically Conductive. Does not insulate and interrupt current flow.
• Good Choice for Use on Soft Metal Applications. Does not compromise integrity of soft metals.
• Will Not Harden. Heat aging won’t affect lubricity of product.
• Facilitates Fast & Easy Disassembly. Saves time in taking apart components.

quote:

I. Product Description
CRC Nickel Anti-Seize and Lubricating Compound is a nickel-based formulation that is free of copper, lead, sulfides and chlorides. This premium high temperature lubricant protects metal-to-metal applications from seizing and galling caused by high temperatures, heavy loads, vibration, chemicals and corrosion. Chemically inert nickel formulation is safe for use with most chemicals that are unstable with copper. This product has extremely high temperature capabilities and excellent chemical resistance. Regular use of Nickel Anti-Seize will increase performance and prolong equipment life.
II. Applications
Recommended to lubricate metal-to-metal applications where a clean, chemically inert, copper-free formulation is necessary. Will not poison catalyst beds, reaction chambers, or special alloy fittings. May be used on fittings,
bushings, flanges, headers, nuts, screws, studs, threaded surfaces, pipes, plugs, and manifolds to prevent seizing and galling of surfaces.
III. Features & Benefits
• Copper-Free Formulation. For use where a clean, chemically inert and stable lubricant is required.
• Extremely High Temperature Resistance. Protects parts up to 2400° F.
• Electrically Conductive. Does not insulate and interrupt current flow.
• Good Choice for Use on Soft Metal Applications. Does not compromise integrity of soft metals.
• Safe For Use on Both Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metals.
• Will Not Harden. Heat aging won’t affect lubricity of product.
• Resistant to Mild Detergents & Alkaline Wash. Protects against rust and corrosion.
• Facilitates Fast & Easy Disassembly. Saves time in taking apart components.

What's the Permatex stuff (available at nearly every auto store) made from? I think I read an MSDS that it's aluminum-based.

I just checked over at permatex website,
looks like most all antisieze lubricants are copper-aluminum-graphite.

I guess you're not supposed to use a copper antisieze lube on stainless:

Permatex® Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant-
Protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400°F. It is recommended where copper contamination must be avoided, under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys.

What can copper contaminate? I know from this forum it's a no-no in brake fluid. And at extremely high temperatures it can cause liquid metal embrittlement of carbon steels and stainless steels... but what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back