Open-deck vs. closed deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a little research into my car's motor, and I just found out that its got an open-deck design. Does anyone know if this is good or bad for engine longevity? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having an open deck? Of having a closed deck? Any help you guys can give will be appreciated!

BTW: The engine is an F22B1, 2.2L SOHC V-Tec engine in a '95 Accord EX.

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
I've been doing a little research into my car's motor, and I just found out that its got an open-deck design. Does anyone know if this is good or bad for engine longevity? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having an open deck? Of having a closed deck? Any help you guys can give will be appreciated!

BTW: The engine is an F22B1, 2.2L SOHC V-Tec engine in a '95 Accord EX.

All else being equal, a closed deck makes for a structurally stronger engine. Do a search on your engine and see if there are any problems related to it being open deck. Since it's made by hinda, my guess is no.

If you are going for high performance and supercharging it, then you might want to consider some reinforcement.

Engines are made open deck to allow the blocks to be made by die casting. It is a more precisely controlled manufacturing process than sand casting. For the average owner, it doesn't make any difference.

I'm not looking to mod it at all, so it sounds like the precision building should make having an open deck better for my engine's lifespan. Thanks for the info!

This is what I found on another forum. I don't know if this information is correct.

A open deck means basically the cylinder sleeves are seperate from the block at the head. This is done for a number of reasons, not the least of which being cost. Open blocks are cheaper to produce than closed blocks. Additionally, some argue that open blocks cool better, however this is definately debateable.

An open block can suffer from cylinder "walk" in high power applications, and therefor many people "close" the block to ensure the cylinders stay aligned. Closing the block involves designing a plate that can be welded into the block around the sleeves.

Closed blocks are solid on top of the block with only coolant passages. Thus the cylinder sleeve is connected to the block at both the top and the bottom on a closed block, and only the bottom and perhaps the middle on a closed.

It is terribly popular to close the block on a honda if one decides to make any amount of power. As for the infiniti, i have no experience, and cannot speak to the power levels it can hold.

Regards,

quote:

I'm not looking to mod it at all, so it sounds like the precision building should make having an open deck better for my engine's lifespan. Thanks for the info!

The precision casting allows them to reduce the casting wall thicknesses to reduce weight and still maintain strength. That works because they don't have to leave extra thickness in to compensate for core shifts making thin spots etc. They can also cast closer to finishes sizes so reduce the amount of machining. I can't think of ny way it will help your engines life span. It won't hurt it either.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

The precision casting allows them to reduce the casting wall thicknesses to reduce weight and still maintain strength. That works because they don't have to leave extra thickness in to compensate for core shifts making thin spots etc. They can also cast closer to finishes sizes so reduce the amount of machining. I can't think of ny way it will help your engines life span. It won't hurt it either.

I was thinking that if the engine is built to more precise tolerances, it would wear a little less and last longer. Maybe I'm just dreaming though...

quote:

I was thinking that if the engine is built to more precise tolerances, it would wear a little less and last longer. Maybe I'm just dreaming though...

Nothing wrong with a good dream
smile.gif

The precise tolerances in an engine are the result of machining the cast block. It makes little difference whether the block was sand cast or die cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back