Craftsman or Kobalt tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a new set of tools. I have a Sears and a Lowes nearby which sells their respective brands of tools. I am wondering if one brand is higher quality over the other.

Other than the price, I don't see that much difference between the Ace Hardware brand I am picking up odds and ends of and my older Craftsman stuff. I bought my daughter some stuff from a Top Value hardware going out of business. They seem to be good stuff too.

One thing about Craftsman, you can catch some great sales if you watch. Even if Sears croaks, somebody will buy up the Craftsman name and likely honor the warranty.

The best tool is the one you can reach.....without knocking your beer over....

Tool loyalty? Come on, it's NOT oil after all!

Listen both are fine for home use...what's on sale? I have some of both as well as just about every other good (and "great") tool brand from Klein, Facom, Proto, Snap-On, Home Depot, Crescent, name some names...all are OK.

Just avoid the super cheapie swap meet crap....

[ March 16, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but I think that the Kobalt stuff is better made today. Years ago I think Craftsman made a quality tool, but not anymore. I think they are just average. I have some old Craftsman sockets from decades ago from my father and they are tanks. I compare them to today and it is a joke.

I was recently disillusioned when I went to take back a 1/2 inch ratchet to Sears. They will now rebuild your ratchet instead of replace it. So much for a lifetime "we'll replace it" warranty. They wanted to give me a beat up one that was rebuilt. Instead, I waited until they rebuilt mine that was hardly used.

The other thing that drives me crazy about these 99 gazillion piece tool sets is the amount of redundancy in them. They will give you three different types of sockets in one size (6 point, 12 point, and deep), but leave out sizes completely. I would rather have all sizes represented than 6 and 12 point versions of the same thing.

One advantage of Sears overall is that they carry more depth of specialty tools. You will just find the basics in Kobalt tools at Lowe's.

In summary, if the price is the same or less, I would probably choose Kobalt.

Craftsman does, however, carry a new line that has giant sizes etched on sockets so you don't have to sit there with reading glasses spinning the socket trying to figure out the size. What a concept!

Yep...also a surpising amount of Craftsman named tools are made in CHINA! Never mind the "Companion" junk. If I were Sears I wouldn't even want to be associated with that stuff.

I bought a full set of Craftsman SAE and Metric wrenches in 1988. I just bought a new set of Metrics from them (to take 4wheeling, I hate adjustables) and I cannot see one bit of difference between them.

I've never had a single problem with a Craftsman tool. They are the only thing I buy from Sears.

I asked a mechanic why he buys Snap-On and he said they are more comfortable in your hand when you use them all day long. The delivery right to your shop and the immediate replacement were big reasons as well.

For my usage I just can't justify springing for Snap-On. I've got some Kobalt tools too and they're fine.

Ahhhh...self sufficiency!

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
I bought a full set of Craftsman SAE and Metric wrenches in 1988. I just bought a new set of Metrics from them (to take 4wheeling, I hate adjustables) and I cannot see one bit of difference between them.

Snip...

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I think they cheapened them before then. Still, even the newer ones aren't that bad.

I bought a bunch of Craftsman stuff in the 60's, and wish I bought more. I never damaged anything. Still have and use all of it except a few things I lost. They never were as good as say Snap On, but at that time, a great value for all but the most demanding use. Now, it is more for lower quality. Right about the depth. I think the last thing I bought at Sears was a #9 Torx screwdriver. Nobody else had them as open stock, and I didn't want to buy a set duplicating the sizes I already had.

I don't like the modern Sears ratchets. The lever reverse is too easy to accidentally change. Since the extensions don't have the push button to remove, it is a pain to remember. I wish they would have rebuilt my 60's 1/4'' ratchet instead of replacing it with a bulkier one with a *&@#$%()*$% pushbutton.

I have color coded my sockets. I painted bands on them. With any electronics experience, you would know the little one with the black and red band is the 12 mm one. I call out the SAE stuff by sixteenths. The bigger socket with the black and red band is 3/4'' The 5/32'' has a yellow, green, and gold bands. 4,5, divide by 10. Same for the 4.5 mm one. The bad part is that you need a dab of 11 different colors of paint. The brush in cap is convenient. Fortunately I have owned many different colors of cars and have the little Duplicolor tubes. For violet, I bought cheap fingernail polish at Big Lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back