Mosin Nagant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a Mosin, but I do have a Tokarev SVT rifle that shoots the same ammo. I use the Czech made "silver tip" surplus ammo in it. Shoots very well, and is quite cheap.

I have 10 Mosin's and love to shoot every one of them. Surplus ammo is dirt cheap and handloading for surplus rifles is a waste IMHO. I have shot about every bit of surplus out there and can only give the advice to stay away from Albanian and 1950's Bulgarian ammo. The Czech silver tip is great stuff.

Hootbro

Oz technique for old military rifles and potentially corrosive priming is to put the barrel in a bicket of boiling water with some dish washing liquid, and use the patch as a "pump" to pump water up and down the barrel.

When the barrel is really hot, and been well washed, it will dry quickly.

Then oil well.

I figure I must have had some of the Albanian stuff as my bolt refused to open without the help of a mallet. I cleaned the bore area using a drill and 20 gauge brush as this was suggested by MosinNagant.net but it still happened. I don't see that there are any burrs in the chamber area so I'm going to have my gunsmith check the head space this weekend. I'm figuring the problem will go away when I try different and possibly higher quality mil surp. I think the stuff I was using was either overloaded and the cases simply expanded too much on detonation.

Anyone used any of the Wolf ammo in these?

I have a couple of friends with Mosin Nagants, and I'm pretty sure they have shot Wolf ammo with no ill effects.

Hootbro,

You only have 10? My son, go out and get thee more Mosins'
tongue.gif

Do you have any Finnish Mosins'? I have a Finnish M39 and I noticed immediately, when I compared it to my Russian 91/30, that it is a much superior made rifle.

quote:

Originally posted by Scotto:
Hootbro,

You only have 10? My son, go out and get thee more Mosins'
tongue.gif

Do you have any Finnish Mosins'? I have a Finnish M39 and I noticed immediately, when I compared it to my Russian 91/30, that it is a much superior made rifle.

I have a Fin M39 also and ditto on the "superior" part.

Back to your stuck ammo problem. Was the ammo brass cased? If so, probably was Albanian.

Also, a real Mosin man will shoot a M44.
bowdown.gif

Hootbro

Hootbro,

Not sure where the ammo came from, it was brass cased. I'm probably going to stick with the new stuff or start reloading my own.

The M44 are extremely difficult to find; at least they are in my neck of the woods. I consider myself very fortunate to have found the M39 when I did.

I don't mind the kick of the M44, but the muzzle blast quickly makes one the least popular person on the range.

My M44s/Type 53s seem to have oversized chambers too, sort of like the No. 4 Lee-Enfield. M39 chambers seem to be much tighter, probably better brass life.

Back when I did handload I did up some nice "recreational" rounds with (IIRC) IMR 4139 and 110 gr. HPs. Very nice in the M44.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back