Makarov pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a Makarov 9 mm pistol? I am thinking aboout getting one as they seem to be a good b-ang for the money. I do not want to spend more than $200 on a pistol and these fit right in my budget at $170.

I just don't know what the opinion is about these guns in the USA.

My dad used to have a couple of these when he was a police chief. I found them to be inaccurate but I think I was not a very good shot during my teen years, and my criteria were overly optimistic for a pistol (hitting a 10" target at 40 yards).

So what do you guys think?

I've got two. Go for it, they are one of the most robust semi-autos ever. Only like 25 parts to the whole gun. Great carry gun, though some will dis the stopping power of the 9mm Mak round. Safety decocks the hammer, DA first round with SA following shots. It is plenty accurate for me, the only thing is the front sights are small. I painted my sights for better visibility.

PRND3L, is the ammunition for these guns freely available or do they import it from Europe, China or Russia?

Both. I recommend FMJ in such a round for max penetration. I have found HP Blazers to cause occassional jams -- never had a jam on FMJ.

Sellier & Bellot (sp?) makes 9mm Mak with brass cases for those who reload.

They are supposed to be one of the less expensive guns you can stake your life on.

I strongly disagree with using FMJ's for defense. I am not certain if there is a good source of defensive ammo for this caliber.

I thought any other type of bullet besides FMJ is illegal according to the Geneva Convention. Can you get the other types legally in the US?

quote:

Originally posted by CivicFan:
I thought any other type of bullet besides FMJ is illegal according to the Geneva Convention. Can you get the other types legally in the US?

Illegal for military,but not civilians.My choice for self defence would be Hornady's 95 grain XTP of Corbon's Powerball in 9mm MAK

The Makarov pistol has less parts than any other semi-auto pistol.
The barrels are chrome lined.
Parts are made of good materials, but crudely finished, in some areas.
A little polishing here and there helps.
They are powerful for a blowback action - maybe 15% more than a .380 . They kick, and the fact that they don't have a natural grip angle makes it worse.
I'd always go for reliability for defense, and use the FMJ round nose bullets. You can always put a hollow point in the chamber, first.
I have one stashed in a good spot in the house, and it's cheap and fun for the range.

quote:

Illegal for military,but not civilians.My choice for self defence would be Hornady's 95 grain XTP of Corbon's Powerball in 9mm MAK

Ouch. That's quite barbaric of our government to allow that.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech2:
They are powerful for a blowback action - maybe 15% more than a .380 . They kick, and the fact that they don't have a natural grip angle makes it worse.

I remember when I fired my first Ruger 9mm
patriot.gif
pistol - I had only used a Makarov and a TT before. I was amazed with the comfort of the gun - no red palm. And no possibility of the slide tearing the flesh above the thumb. But it would probably pull my pants down if stuck under my belt.

Aftermarket grips, either rubber or wood, are readily available and drastically improve grip angle and comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back