Best pistol for Canadians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

It seems to me we have very different needs from Americans.
Canadians can't conceal their weapons for example. In fact, we can't even buy a concealable gun (like .380) without collectors status. I think stopping power is irrelivant in Canada, because you would never be able to access a legally stored gun in time to halt a surprise attacker.

I'm thinking that since a Canadian can only really use a pistol on a range that a match grade, smaller caliber weapon, like a 9mm, is the only logical way to go. What do you think?

I think a Browning Hi Power 9 millies would give you rugged defense capability (if you can get to your gun in time
tongue.gif
) and pretty dang good target shooting performance at the same time. Solely for very precise target shooting, a Smith&Wesson Model 41 .22 caliber pea shooter would be great.

If I could only shoot it at the range, I'd pass on the 9mm's & focus my attention on a nice 1911 .45 ACP. Kimber has some very nice 1911 models on the market. .22 cal conversion kits are also readily available for the 1911 pistols, which is nice is you just want to do some all day plinking on the cheap.

I've corresponded with a Canadian citizen who owns a lovely old Smith & Wesson Model 34 Kit gun. For those unfamiliar with them, that's the blue steel, small frame .22 LR revolver with adjustable sights. His has the 4" barrel. I own the stainless version of this gun, the Model 63.

(I sent him some cheap grips on sale from CDNN on trust. Not only did he send a MO to pay for them- a couple of weeks later he sent me a beautiful old Lawrence lined leather holster to fit my own S&W Model 63. He said since he couldn't legally carry the gun in the woods anymore, it should go to someone who could use it. It's great, two guys have tried to buy it from me already- and just try to find a decent holster these days to fit any S&W J-Frame with a 4" bbl!
canada.gif
)

For the shooter who concentrates on sights & trigger, they are ridiculously accurate(though not up to a good Smith 41)- and cheap to shoot! At most you'll probably want to replace the tiny factory wood grips, those are just too hard to hold even for smaller than average hands. Keep it clean, buy lotsa cheap .22 LR, & have fun. And if the Canadian Gov't should ever change their laws to once again allow sporting carry when hunting, you'll have one of the finest outdoorsman's handguns ever produced.

IMO, you could do a whole lot worse.
cheers.gif

Depends on what you are comfortable with.A large auto like a 1911 .45 type might be too large for your hand,if not then that firearm is the most popular for upgrades and what-nots.A Browning design might fit better for smaller hands,like a CZ or a Browning.I own 1911 types but my buddy uses the browning design,just a matter of preference.The trigger is better for pull on the 1911, 70 series Colt types and their clones.I own an 80 series ,with the added firing pin safety,and find minimal difference between the two colt types.The browning design type usually can only be had in a double action variety and the trigger pull is not as smooth or crisp as a single action pistol like the 1911 models.You can take it to a gunsmith and have them work on a double action trigger but they will tell you right off it won't be as nice as a single action design.As for revolvers I'm a Smith&Wesson man thru and thru!Have won many handgun competitions with my plain old,baffed out(on second cylinder but barrel shoots better than I can)),model 686 .38/.357 mag.This caliber ,in revolvers, is the most practical for a beginner IMO.You have the plinking aspect of a mild .38 load and can then switch to full house .357 magnums if you wish.There are gun safes available that can keep you legal in Canada and still give fast access in case of two legged varmits.

Thanks everyone!

Two things caught my attention when reading the responses.

1. Despite the fact I will only ever shoot at a range people are still recommending the venerable 1911. Someone of great importance during the era (can't remember who it was) once said that bombing Vietnam with B-52's was "like trying to kill ants with a sledge hammer". I love 1911s, but isn't plinking with one kind of like the sledge hammer analogy?

2. Like I said, I love 1911s, so the Browning HP is really appealing to me (kind of like driving a regular Benz, because the AMG just might be a little too much). I also really love uncompromising precision and attention to detail. Does the Browning fit into this category?

The gun that seems to be intriguing me the most these days is the HK Mark 23, but $3000.00 CDN might be a little too steep for me. Second choice might be a USP. How does an HP Mk lll compare?

There seems to be as many 1911 versions on the market as there are snow flakes, which is the best?

Thanks!
cheers.gif

The CZ-75 and CZ-97 pistols would serve you well. They are very tough, highly accurate, and inexpensive. For range use, get the factory single-action trigger. It does wonders for accuracy.

Heck, I thought you could not even have handguns in Canada. I have heard that even rifles and shotguns are controlled.

Well, if you can have one but not one that can be concealed then the two I would pick from would be a .45 like the 1911 and the .357 revolver. If I had to pick one over the other then I would pick the .45.

Well the B-52 has served longer than the age of most the pilots flying them.That tells you that some designs are just pretty darn good and with upgrages the B-52 will be with the U.S. arsnel till 2024 or around there I read.Back to the subject.A mild .45 load is a pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate.If you don't load your own ammo and buy factory stuff and like to shoot,you will buy a reloader eventually for light load tailoring and economy.Smith&Wesson has a nice .45 selection right now.They have good warranty (lifetime)and I like the service.Para-Ordinance is another Canadian company to look at.Go to Shooting Tests and get some of their info.I subscribe and they are like a consumer reports for firearms,can get exact website if you like.They take no advertising so they're more objective in their testing.Ruger,CZ,Browning,Berreta all brand names have good guns and so-so guns,and no gun has it all.Try telling your wife the reason you need so many firearms!I tell her they are like golf clubs,you need all kinds to play.Yes owning handguns in Canada is legal for target practice.There are certain restrictions.No barrels under 4 1/2 inches unless you have prohibited status (not many do),no .380 cal.like the man said,need firearms course with police clearance and be a member of a certified range then you're off to the gun store.If I had to trust one gun to work in a life or death situation it would be a wheel-gun everytime...thats just me.

Get the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag. It was my first (well first cartridge gun) when I was just out of high school back in Nebraska. I loaded it with cast and sized bullets and "plinked" a lot with it. Ususally shot around 300 to 500 rounds a week. Nice revolver!!
grin.gif
you can shoot .44 special or .44 mag out of it. I like it better than the .357 mag and seems easier on the ears, etc. Hard to beat. ... first gun when I WAS in High School was a .44 cal black powder Remington. Real shooter it was and I had 3 extra cylinders and could really speed load that thing faster than I ever could the Ruger side eject model. Just pop out the used cylinder and pop in a fresh, loaded balled and capped cylinder and good to go.

I think the US NEEDS to keep their arms free for all citizens as it is. Just look at the difficulties that soldiers have in Iraq! Imagine an invading country having to contend with all the NRA members, National Guard, hunters, home defenders, etc etc.. here in America. *** Bless us Everyone!!
patriot.gif

Shooting a .44 mag in anything is a handfull to new shooters,some old ones also.If you go down the .44 mag lane try a ported one first because thats what you will buy.It's like driving a car with power steering then going back to a car with-out it.My buddy has a Super Blackhawk in .44 flavor and that hogleg is a bear to shoot with full loads as compared to my S&W 629 ported model.The only problem is that you will shoot more with the ported Smith because your hand and arm will last longer.Don't get me wrong here.The Rugers are great guns and I own 3 of them,but with big bore magnums porting,rifle or handgun,is a BIG improvement in comfort for a long day of range work.

Greaser,

I Googled "Shooting Test",but can't find anything like what you described. Can you send me that link?

Also, the idea of buying a Canadian product is really appealing to me, so I've been looking quite closely at Para Ordnance. The web site m1911.org seems to hold Para in high esteem and their Manager of Quality, George Wedge, is very friendly and helpful when it comes to Para products. Anybody have any firsthand experience with Para Ordnance?

Thanks.

for target shooting only, it's hard to beat a CZ75b or CZ75SA in 9mm, or a Ruger MKII/III in .22LR

CZ75's are some of the sweetest shooting guns I've ever put my hands on.

chevrofreak,

Please forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but why wouldn't a CZ be a good option for something other than target shooting? Are you qualifying your advice because the gun is a CZ, or because it's a 9mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back