Revised CLP Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have finally revised the MIL-PRF-63460 specification with an Amendment 7. That now makes two types of CLP available. Type I is for general environments whereas Type II is for extreme desert environments. The one thing that sets these two types apart is the weapons performance testing requirement. In addition to the 7.62 machine gun testing for Type I approvals, the Type II requires 5.56 machine gun testing after extended exposure to very fine dust. The only product now approved to meet the Type II requirements is the Break Free material.

The Royco CLP is still on the list but it is now listed as a Type I and not a Type II. All the products that were approved are still listed as Type I CLPs. BreakFree is the only one that is listed both as a Type I and Type II.

Thanks for the update. I looked at the QPL and confirmed what mojo said. That's great news about a product that I already know works well.

My only gripe is that I can't buy CLP at military procurement prices, but $10 for a large spray bottle of BF CLP isn't bad.

I use it in my Glock and my rifles. I never had a problem with jamming or malfunctions related to the CLP.

Regarding the MIL-PRF-63460 CLP specification, revision E was just issued on March 15th. This does not have the Types I and II as listed in the last Amendment 17 to revision D. Surprisingly, after they issued the QPL showing that only Break Free had a Type I and II approved product, they found that some of the testing had been in error and no Type I was ever procured I believe.

This latest revision E involves testing with the M249 machine gun and now includes firing after exposure to "blowing dust" as well as the cold temperature and salt water immersion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back