Moly oil(not for engines); suggestions, recipes? Molakule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently bought a very nice condition 1975 model Sheridan .20 cal(5mm) pellet gun, that seems to have spent most of the past 29 yrs in a closet somewhere. The pump pivots are all still tight, & I'd like to keep them that way- once worn, power & consistency drop off, & there's no real remedy but a rebuild.

The airgunsmiths seem to all recommend lubricating oil with Moly(the powdered kind, not the soluble kind) in it. One recipe recommends 2 oz of non-detergent 30W motor oil to one tablespoon of moly grease, type unspecified. A suggestion of using Honda Motorcycle moly paste is made elsewhere for a similar recipe. Another guy sells an oil he calls "Secret Sauce" at a very reasonable price, & it's a very good bet there's moly in it. This apparently keeps wear at bay for many years when used religiously, in spite of the fact that pump-up & break-barrel pellet guns put a lot of stress on the small areas of their pivots.

Question: Does anyone know of an easily available lubricating oil that has some powdered Moly in it? Failing that, would the Schaeffer's grease(dunno the # of it, I have a tube in my greasegun) be suitable for making my own? Any & all help appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back