M1 0W-20 for oiling rifle? Maintenance procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I think it is simply the nature of the beast that AK-47s are easy to maintain and M-16s are prone to jam. The AK-47 from the start was apparently designed to be easy to maintain and 'idiot proof.' I have heard of problems with jams involving the M-16 since the Vietnam War. You would think they would have solved the problem by now.

No matter what anybody says I have no confidence in the military Breakfree. Twice I had jamming problems after using (and following directions) Breakfree to lubricate my SIG P226. I will never use the stuff again. A lot of American soldiers complain about military CLP. There probably needs to be an investigation.

If I went with just oil to lubricate my guns I would use MPro7 gun oil. It is synthetic and is supposed to be usable in all weather conditions. According to what I have been able to find out the new Hoppes Elite line of products is the same as
MPro7 cleaner and MPro7 oil. I don't know this for a fact but that is what I have heard. But I have never been able to find the Hoppes Elite products in any store around where I live.

I don't necessarily agree that grease is just a dirt and sand attractor. I realize that dust in the Middle East is very fine but dust probably would not get into the slides of a handgun too easily. Maybe in the Middle East you just need to clean and lubricate your weapon very, very often, and certainly before any major action. If necessary you could clean the weapon very carefully and put a very small amount of gun oil on the weapon. But we are not in the Middle East and in this country people mainly only have to worry about temperature extremes. My big problem with oil is that it does not stay put-you probably should lube the gun somewhat every time before you shoot.

There is no way Breakfree caused your SIG to jam. I own several SIG's and lube them with Breakfree and NEVER had 1 jam in thousand and thousands of rounds.
A good friend of mine I grew up with is in his 3 year in Seal team 5 and all they use is Breakfree CLP. He said they have good results with the stuff.
Give it another try and see what happends.

The M16/AR rifels are reliabe firearms. A lot of the jaming in Vietnam was caused because of the ammunition powder change. Stoner warned not to use certain kinds of gun powder with the M16. It is not as reliabe or even close to the AK(nothing is except for maybe the SKS) but is a dam fine rifle the is prooven in combat.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:

quote:

Originally posted by WDP:
The military is dumping Breakfree because of the mass failures of the M16 in the desert. They along with many government agencies are going with the Militec because it works. True it isn't much of a rust deterent but that is what I use the Breakfree for.

WDP

That is 100% FALSE! Breakfree is still the standered issiue lube for all branches of Military and is a solid performer. Militec was tested and failed in many parts of the mil-63460D testing. It has never been issued by any military unit offically.

+1

The military is NOT dumping BF or Royco CLP. In fact these are the only 2 prime CLPs listed in the QPL for 63460D. Militec-1, M-Pro 7, Hoppes Elite, RemOil, Slip 2000 CLP, FP-10, etc... are NOT on the QPL.

Soldiers that knew half a **** about how to clean their rifles will tell you CLP worked fine for them.

For a good general purpose "cheap" gun lube/cleaner/protection make your self a batch of Eds Red. I use it a lot on my ars and my skss. For copper removal I use shooters choice and if you want to get "cheap" there use house hold amnio(sp?). For long term storage just use the old standby cosmoline.But personally I think those 3 in 1 combos seem to always lack in 1 of the 3.

would rotella 15w40 dislodge some carbon if you were to dunk carboned pieces in it?
grin.gif

I had a Garand for awhile, and as others have said a bit of grease was typically used at least on the operating rod and bolt. On the highpower ranges one saw a few Garands still being used for service rifle, mostly M1As being used by the civilians, and a transition from the M14 to the M16 by the military shooters. I don't think that I ever saw an AK/SKS being used as they just don't do well for accurate, long range fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back