Tetra Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been researching Tetra Gun oil and found that they have been doing mil-spec testing for military use. According to one of their reps they are in the top 3 to replace CLP and have passed luberisity tests that most other gun oil have failed but could not give me details as testing is still in progress. I'm trying to find online tests to find out if this is true but nothing so far as for mil-spec testing as I'm sure it is "top secret". Tetra does seem to be a top oil. I'm doing a little more testing of it myself.
Interesting...just thought I'd pass it on to you gun nuts on here!
grin.gif

Chris B., where do you find this gun oil (other then online)?

Personally I am real happy with TW25B, but if this Tetra gun oil can replace Formula 3, I would be interested.

As I recall from one their brochures, it should also be available online, they compared a bunch of different products using a 4 ball test ? I found the data useful for comparing other well known products.

Their grease seems to work well but the few tubes that Ihave are showing signs of seperating, so one needs to squeeze a bit to get to grease instead of runny stuff. I threw out the liquid as I was using it around the house and it cracked the plastic that it came in contact with. It stunk pretty bad too.

Tetra has been around for at least 5 years that I can recal maybe longer. THeir products smell really bad. In the paste the lubericant smelled like something climed into the tube and died. I do not think I would want to have a weapon treated with Tetra's products close enough to my knose to fire it. Other then the smell their products do work well!

The problem with Tetra smelling bad was in the old formulation, some batches would go bad hence the smell. Tetra has reformulated the oil and it now does not smell and is stable. Check out this link on a Tetra field test: http://hunting.about.com/library/weekly/aa001121.htm

Befor I use the oil often on my guns I'll test the new formula on different things made of plastic to see if it will crack them.

Tetra can be bought at good old Wal-Mart.

[ May 27, 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Chris B. ]

Do not use Tetra or Break-Free in your rifle bore. Both contain teflon. Under intense heat (>2500 degrees) teflon turns into polytetrafluoric acid, one of the most corrosive agents in the world. It is stored in wax containers as it will eat through glass. A modern high-power rifle cartridge will easily generate that much heat.

Use teflon as a lubricant only - actions, hinges, etc.

Hawkeye

I don't think eithor has Teflon in them. I could not find any info in MSDS or other papers on these 2 lubes. BreakFree is a PAO oil.

Both advertise as a bore lube and Break is the most tested gun oil ever made.

It is a good idea to run a dry patch to get out any oil in the bore befor the 1st shot reguardless of what bore oil/coat you have in there.

Suit yourself.

I suggest you analyze the white sediment that precipitates out on the bottom of any bottle of CLP or Tetra.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye, where did you hear about teflon being in these 2 lubes? I'd really like to know as I'm always looking for a better lube!

What do you use in your firearms?

Chris,

My information came from a spectrographical analysis done on both CLP & Tetra several years ago. This was posted on a gun board, maybe benchrest.com or group therapy??

I had problems with a rifle on which I had used Tetra bore cleaner. Had been pretty accurate before, much less so after. Later found evidence of pretty severe etching on rifling lands, some eaten away. Never used it again.

I do use CLP on my AR15 bolt, lugs, moving parts. Works extremely well to keep carbon/powder fouling in a 'soup' rather than sticking to metal. I also use it to lube the races, bolt on my bolt actions. For triggers, I use a product called TSI 301, a synthetic penetrant/lubricant of extemely fine quality. I also use it to wipe down the outside of my rifle to prevent rust. It will actually 'dry' on the rifle, does not show fingerprints.

http://www.neconos.com/hotitem.htm

For rifle cleaning I use Forrest Bore Foam. This is the only product I know of that will take out hard, burned-in carbon deposits WITH the copper. Most amazing gun cleaner I've ever found, and believe me, I've used tham all.

Hawkeyes

Have you tried Mpro7 at all? Also what about TW25B and Mil Comms Mc-25 cleaner? I'm thinking of trying it.

Break-Free and tetra most definately contain PTFE. I think the Tetra name came from polyTETRAflouroethlyne.

Which Break Free product are you talking about?

Break Free CLP is the most commonly used. I checked the ingredients and the main lubricating agent was PAO synthetic oils, not PTFE.

RemOil, OTOH does contain Teflon. I have never heard of PTFE becoming the PTF acid, but I do know FLUORIC Acid cannot be stored in glass (its a weak acid but etches away at glass, used in arts supply stores, etc...) but can be stored in plastic containers.

quote:

Originally posted by Hawkeye:
Do not use Tetra or Break-Free in your rifle bore. Both contain teflon. Under intense heat (>2500 degrees) teflon turns into polytetrafluoric acid, one of the most corrosive agents in the world. It is stored in wax containers as it will eat through glass. A modern high-power rifle cartridge will easily generate that much heat.

Use teflon as a lubricant only - actions, hinges, etc.

Hawkeye

I stand corrected:

Here's a quote from a MSDS for PTFE:
quote:

(at temperatures) >325C TEFLON PTFE GRANULAR RESINS CAN EVOLVE TOX GASEOUS MATLS (toxic gaseous materials) SUCH AS HYDROGEN FLUORIDE (HF aka Hydrofluoric acid) &
PERFLUOROOLEFINS.OSHA(SUPDAT)

So above 617F, PTFE can form HF gas. Depending on its concentration, it can etch away metal.

[ June 28, 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

I do not know.
Do barrels reach 617F or higher?

I'd have to do research on the corrosive effects of HF gas... I know HF liquid (acid) will etch away metal, but HF gas is just toxic. There's no mention of corrosiveness.

I really have a hard time believing that These Teflon oil will hurt the gun. Break Free CLP has been in use in the military sence the 1970's and if it was causing problems in any way it would be long gone!!! The military still uses it today.

I found some interesting info from the MSDS for Militec-1.

The flash point is 455F, and when it burns it emits CO and HCl.

IIRC HCl is a corrosive acid, although I am unsure of how strong it is compared to HF on bores... If CLP produces HF above 617F, and Militec-1 produces HCl above 455F, which is better?

I can't add any info from a scientific standpoint, but I've use both of these products for years in both rifles and pistols, without any corrosion problems.

Metroplex you have me wondering now! I'll tell ya what, I emailed some of these gun oil companies several weeks ago and only Tetra replyed. Why don't you call them(Breakfree and Tetra) and ask tech support about this and I will also and we can compair notes to see if we get the same info back. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back