What kind of racing do you do? Future reference check in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original thread is kinda like this, but a little to haphazard in my opinion. To make it easier to get good usable information this thread makes sense.

What type of racing do you do. If is matters, what special level of preperation do you do to require a special oil.

I do autocross/Solo II. Stock motor so no extremely special oil needs.

I'm into drag racing. Just for fun though, I am not in the points or anything, I just bracket race when my car club has it's 3 race series every year, and then I'll make another 3 or 4 trips out to the track for test and tune just to try and better my ET.

It's my daily driver, a 1995 Firebird Formula, which has the LT1 350 in it. It's automatic with the optional 3.23 axle ratio and it's best time is 13.68 at 100.4mph, with a 2.00 60ft on Goodyear F1 GS D3 tires. It's completely stock except for one modification, I replaced the stock catback with an SLP exhaust.

I run German Castrol 0w30 in it, along with a K&N oil filter.

I do a little AutoX, a little bit more drag racing and I hope to try a open track event this year. Might even try the "new to the east" top end racing. Car is a 2000 Firebird. Also do a little dragracing in my 1985 Mustange LX.

No special measures taken. In the Firebird, I had been running 0W30 M1 for around 30K miles. I then changed to 0W40 M1 for one oil change interval. I changed to the German Castrol 0W30 on my last change. I have ran the Mustang on 5W40 Delvac, just changed to German Castrol in it also.

I recently changed out the cam in the Firebird and the mechanic who did the majority of the work {I just watched and learned on this one} commented on how clean the interior of the engine looked.

He also commented on how the timing chain seem taught with very little stretch considering the miles {40K} and the constant flogging the car gets {I've got well over 150 1/4 mile passes and near the same amount of autoX runs}. This guy has seen alot of LS1s taken apart.

[ March 26, 2004, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Judd ]

I drag race only.Car is a 1971 Dodge Demon with Chrysler 440 big block and 727 transmission.All out race car,no street duty.Engine is basically a 10 second street engine,stock bottom end except for the heavy TRW forged pistons.Runs on pump gasoline,9.2 compression.I could take out the solid lifter cam and put in the OEM grind,along with the OE intake and carb and run this engine in a old Chrysler station wagon.10w40 Quaker State and Fram filter,no special oiling mods except for hi vol pump and 8 qt pan.

1/4 mile drag racing 2000 Horton dragster Home made Methanol injected normally aspirated 555 BBC ran best 7.23 @182 1.03 60' Used Kendall 20W-50 for 15 years. Working with Terry Dyson ti make a change to best oil in race budget. Using Vavoline VR-1 20W-50 till I get that nailed.

I do a mix of Autocross, Open Lapping days, and Drag Racing. Most of my focus has been on autocrossing, but lately i've been getting more into the open lapping. Drag racing i do on the off weekday nights for test & tune / street (gives me my youthful "street racing" fix) nights at the local track. I've run Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 almost exclusively for the last 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back