Question for quick_16.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason your topic on the Kendall 20W-50 VOA is locked....I was curious if you happened to know how old that sample was ? Do you know if it was SH or SJ rated or some other rating ?

Thanks Rugerman1, I tried it below here in the racing section and it said it was locked...I didnt try over in the VOA section tho...
cheers.gif

I don't know why it isn't linking over to it.
pat.gif

Just go to VOA section and check-it-out.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Calvin:
For some reason your topic on the Kendall 20W-50 VOA is locked....I was curious if you happened to know how old that sample was ? Do you know if it was SH or SJ rated or some other rating ?

I have the PDF file for the VOA's if anyone wants it. I posted all three here and now they are all three in the VOA area. My goal was to have the VOA and UOA for race oil here. The BB ops have another plan. It was suggested by one of the racers here that we provide links from here back to the UOA and VOA to help with this situation. I did that as a test to see if it would be taken down or moved. Perhaps that is the way to keep the data where we can find it??? Look at the RP link. You will notice even though the data is in the VOA area we can still discuss the results in this race area.

Calvin, Do you have any oil test data you can share wit us? You can email me at [email protected] if you need any help.

The old Obsolete Green Kendall 20W-50 is long gone in my area and when my stash was depleted I had to make a change. For now I'm running the Vavoline 20W-50 VR-1. That VOA is also on the VOA site. I'm still digging around and working with Terry Dyson
worshippy.gif
in an effort to get the best oil in my 555cid engine that I can afford to live with.... This process is not easy or free. So far just for the lab work and analysis I have well over $100 into it. I'm optimistic the results from this effort will prove to be a great deal.
dunno.gif

Quick_16,

I have posted up 5 results so far with more likely on the way....I'm waiting to get more miles on the car.I have posted up 4 VOA's and 1 UOA thus far.They are all there in their respective sections.I also have had Terry check out the results.... in fact I have a dozen kit's here to eventually use up!

Calvin, Got it I was able to go back and look at the past post to start that review. Interesting observations about Kendall E vs W. Did you see the comments and VOA on the Brad Penn? Any comments? BTW You may have said but what are you running these oils in? My local Costco Sells the Chevron oils. I have been using the 10W-30 and 10W-40 in my two street cars for about two years. I'm wondering if the 10W-40 might be good for my race engine with maybe an additive???? I'm using the VR-1 but understand that 20W-50 is not ideal for the temp's I run. Decisions descissoins...
burnout.gif

Quick_16,

Yes I did see the Brad Penn VOA....I didnt want to say much but my depleted used Chevron 10W-30 that sheared down to a 20W had more additive than the VOA showed new.Honestly I had never even heard of Brad Penn till you mentioned it.

I honestly dont know enough.... One can look at the data sheets till you are blue in the face and still not necessarly pick a winner....belive me I have tried.Most people have had great UOA with the Chevron but mine was so-so at best... Guess this means that " My " engine and driving may not like this oil but others do great with it.

Your situation is so different I am at a loss....

Lets see 555 CID with Alky.... Huge bore and stroke with a large amount of " Mass " to try and lubricate.Is this a steel rod or alum rods ? Dry sump or wet ? Vacuum pump ? If so is it pulling enough vac to pull oil off pins and cam lobes ect ?
Will your bearing clearences and rod side clearence allow a thinner oil or is a 50 weight needed just for clearences let alone the Alky ?

I would be more than alittle tempted to look at a straight 40 weight....You have a Chevy ...they circulate oil quickly regardless of pump so a straight 40 wouldnt cause any problems...especially in Florida heat...
Have you by any chance called Schaefer's oil and talked with them ? I think they have some " Race " oils...what ever that really means....I would think that with the bore/piston skirt mass and the crazy centrifugal forces your conn rod bearings are subjected to due to that long stroke length ... that it would be somewhat desirable to have as much AW as possible and still have enough detergents/ dispaerants to deal with the fuel dilution ( if they deal with the dilution and acids that the alky produces )....

I wish I could offer a more definitive answer but I'm just not an expert on this subject.... I'm trying to learn just like everyone here....

quote:

Originally posted by Calvin:
Quick_16,

Lets see 555 CID with Alky.... Huge bore and stroke with a large amount of " Mass " to try and lubricate.
Is this a steel rod or alum rods ? Steel
Dry sump or wet ? Wet but good stuff
Vacuum pump ? Very soon
If so is it pulling enough vac to pull oil off pins and cam lobes ect ? will be limited to 8 to 9"Hg
Will your bearing clearences and rod side clearence allow a thinner oil or is a 50 weight needed just for clearences let alone the Alky ?
time will tell.
I would be more than alittle tempted to look at a straight 40 weight....You have a Chevy ...they circulate oil quickly regardless of pump so a straight 40 wouldnt cause any problems...especially in Florida heat...
Have you by any chance called Schaefer's oil and talked with them ? Talke to Bob just today
I think they have some " Race " oils...what ever that really means....I would think that with the bore/piston skirt mass and the crazy centrifugal forces your conn rod bearings are subjected to due to that long stroke length ... that it would be somewhat desirable to have as much AW as possible and still have enough detergents/ dispaerants to deal with the fuel dilution ( if they deal with the dilution and acids that the alky produces )....

I wish I could offer a more definitive answer but I'm just not an expert on this subject.... I'm trying to learn just like everyone here....

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back