Zerex G-05 is Clear like water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed my coolant this weekend. When I opened the Zerex G-05 (Gold Jug) I noticed how clear this coolant is. I have trouble seeing the level on my overflow tank.

You'd think they would dye it anything but clear?

Anyone else notice this? Thanks.

That is a great idea! Do you think that Food coloring dye would hurt anything? Would it last with the heat?

It's just kinda crazy though. Why make a product that is not going to show through a plastic tank? Why not make it Blue? Or Purple? Or Red? IS there some reason they have to make it light yellow/clear?

If food coloring won't hurt your stomach lining I don't see how it could possibly hurt the materials it touchs in a cooling system. Besides, it shouldn't take more than a half ounce or so. It keeps its color in cooking, so why wouldn't it in a cooling system? Worth a try I figure. You've got nothing to lose.

I recently flushed my radiator and refilled with GO5 and noticed the same thing, couldn't see the level in the overflow tank. My wife had some old food coloring around so I dyed it red. Now looks like Toyota red in the tank and is easy to see.

Coolant dye concentrates are available at many over-the-road heavy duty truck dealership parts departments in several colors. These specialized dyes have a U.V. sensitive component (fluoroscein) to aid tracing leaks with a portable U.V. source. Zerex's stated reason for the light amber dye it uses in G-05 is that it blends without overpowering the color of existing coolant when used as top-up. The claim that food color would suffice my be true. But, keep in mind that food coloring is only heated ONCE during baking. Coolant is reheated every time the engine is started. Dunno whether or not that would degrade its color intensity over time.

Wow. Thanks for all the info guys! Good to know.
I was thinking the food coloring might have a problem with the heat cycles. I'm not too keen on Zerex's reasons for not adding a color dye.

Seems to me that knowing your coolant levels would be a good thing. Perhaps a Napa or Autozone might have such an item?

Thanks again for your input!

Just checked. Not much online except for Fluorescent stuff.

Great coolant... Just a dumb idea to make it clear yellow. Maybe not a big factor, but it sure would make it nice.

Anyone from Zerex marketing dept. listening?

I kinda like the clear, slightly beige tint it has, but my puke tank is up high and nice and new. Easy to see, which is why the nasty, thick green gruel that the factory installed in it looked so hideous. One thing for sure, G-05 does NOT clash with the decor!

Besides, when I drain it into the storm drain, no one will notice!
lol.gif

I put a couple of drops of yellow food coloring into my Zerex G-05 coolant.....several months ago....still is yellow. A little goes a long way....only a couple drops needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back