Coolant flush cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was goin thru WAlmart and Canadian Tire and notice they have these coolant cleaner thats suppose to be used before the actual flush process to clean all the gunk and stuff out of it.. are these beneficial or snake?

If you have an abused radiator system, it may help clean out years of neglect. If you take decent care of it, I don't think it's needed.

I agree with Vilan that it would do a good job for neglected radiators. I used Prestone Super Flush after a drain and fill and noticed a **** ton more deposits on the drain after using it.

I haven't done it on my cars and it's been almost 4 yrs.. I know.. you jerk.. abusing your car. So I guess I should go pick up some coolant flush then.. I will see if Canadian Tire or Walmart has the prestone coolant flush. Any others you guys can suggest ( just in case I'm not able to locate it in Canada )

A mechanic friend of mine used Gunk 5-minute flush at his shop, he spoke highly of it, but I have not read much good on a lot of Gunk products.

4 years? That's it?

Nothing to be ashamed of, my dad's 89 F-350 hasn't been flushed in well over 4 years, the only thing that gets done on that truck is oil changes.

If you get the Prestone Super Flush, get two bottles if your cooling system is more than 12 quarts (3 gallons).

thanx confederate.. not sure how many litres currently on my car pontiac Bonneville SSEI.

If I get 2 bottles ( and don't need it ) and double dose it.. would it be safe or damage something?

I don't think you'd have any unsafe attributes, but if you can, find out if you need more than 1 bottle before adding it. Me personally I want to get every single bit (or as much as physically possible) of the flush out of the cooling system. So you'll want to do a thorough flush, but as for harming, the only thing I can think of is that you may not get all of the deposits out and they would stay in suspension in the coolant.

I don't want to give you any "OK's" and then something happen, but I have never heard of any harm coming from using the chemical, if you read the instructions it's obvious that you won't get all of the chemical out when using Prestone's method. How do you plan on flushing the cooling system?

Since I"m on Well water, the whole garden hose method won't work.

So run with coolant flush cleaner.

Then draining the radiator ( not sure if there is a block drain on my engine )

fill with distilled water.. warm up the car with heater on high..

remove the top radiator hose ( on T-stat side.. I don't know if I will replace the T-stat or not, if I do it'll be easier if not.. then I have to wait till it gets above 180 to have the T-stat open as everytime I take the T-stat cover off, it rips the gasket ) on the rad side and allow it to drain to pan.. fill the rad with distilled water, start and fill the rad while runnin ( to avoid any air gettin into the block ) till the T-stat end comes out clear.

Drain the rad, pour in some Dex-cool ( not sure if I want to go with G05 as I don't know the compatibility of mixing it with IF I have some dex cool in there hidden somehow )
. Put in a GM pellet coolant sealer, run the car again and pour in the premix stuff for top up in the rad and into overflow tank.

What do you think?

Sounds like a good plan.

My flush plan:
1 - Drain and fill with Super Flush and distilled water.
2 - Run engine for 10-15 minutes, or 5-10 minutes after top hose gets hot.
3 - Drain and fill with distilled water.
4 - Remove top radiator hose from radiator and direct it into a bucket.
5 - Run engine and continue to fill the reservoir (if there) and radiator (if possible) with distilled water until the fluid coming out is completely clear.
6 - Reconnect radiator hose, drain radiator.
7 - Fill up with straight coolant but only enough to give a 50/50 mixture (divide total capacity in half) and add the GM pellets.
8 - Run engine for 10-15 minutes and keep refilling with coolant until you get half of the total capacity, then keep adding distilled water.
9 - After a few days of driving, top up with distilled water until the level quits "disappearing."

I think you're on the same track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back