Who Still Makes Green Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into the store the other day to buy traditional green coolant for my 96 Explorer. All the bottles i saw on the shelves that had "Ethelyne Glycol" on the front also said "For all Makes and Models", and "Mixes with any color Coolant", which to me means they are not the old traditional green coolants. Am I wrong, do all coolant not state this on the bottles? How do i know if I am getting the old green stuff? Which brands still make it and where is it found?

thanks for all the help.

The two brands of green EG coolant that are still readily available are:

Motorcraft - available only from Ford dealers for roughly $15/gallon

Texaco - available from Advance Auto Parts stores for roughly $8/gallon.
Here is a picture I recently took of both products:

-

I think Peak as well as Pep Boys and Autozone under their respective house brands still market conventional silicated antifreeze/coolants, too. (a good deal less than $15.00/gallon, too!) I don't think any of the remaining "traditional" (silicated, non-OAT) coolants have as high a concentration of silicates as the previous "green-snots-of-death" had four or so years ago, though. They still have enough to do the job, but the reduced silicates stay in solution much better these days without its tendency to settle out as a glop in the bottom of the radiator, or worse, as hard, sand-like precipitates tearing up your waterpump impeller and bearing seals.

As of last fall, Pep Boys sold Peak in a traditional formulation.

Advance Auto had the Texaco. Advance's house brand has also converted to "all makes all models".

I think it will become increasingly difficult to find traditional formulations.

Chevron Supreme coolant is readily available around here at most Chevron stations for $8.99/gallon (for the concentrate - 50/50 exists according to the website, but I've never seen it sold). I don't have them handy, but I recently checked the spec sheets for this stuff on Chevron's website - it looked very nearly identical to the Texaco conventional coolant wavinwayne has in his photo above.

I went with this stuff in my 1997 B2300 on my most recent coolant change. We'll see how it turns out - this product gets very little mention on these boards. I basically figured that Chevron generally produces good stuff, so I took the chance.

Reading Ray H's post more carefully....

The Chevron stuff does claim on the back to be "low-silicate", but it does not claim to be any sort of extended-life product - basically, just what Ray said, I believe.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, there aren't any Advance Auto Parts in greater Los Angeles, so we can't just buy the Texaco stuff there. I'm sure it can be found somewhere close - I just haven't bothered....

Pepboys Proline and Peak green both with rebates that make Proline $7 and Peak green $9 and Peak 50/50 $7. I use green in an older car and change every year for $7 with a drain that gets about 80%. When I went further ( probably with the higher silicate formulas in the past ) for two years the stuff always looked like dregs on the change. Looks good at 1 year like draining dexcool.

It has a relatively short shelf life of 1-2 years and less once you open it so forget the green stashes and IMO if you open it to do add coolant you might as well use it all on a change.

thanks for the replys

wavinwayne, I saw that Texaco stuff the last time i was in Avanced but thought it said on the back for "All Makes" or one of those lines that makes it sound like the newer coolants. I'll have to take another look again next time I am there. I think it was priced around $7 so if it is the conventional green, thats what i will be picking up for my 96 Explorer.

thanks for the help

quote:

Originally posted by brad_d:
Unfortunately, there aren't any Advance Auto Parts in greater Los Angeles, so we can't just buy the Texaco stuff there. I'm sure it can be found somewhere close - I just haven't bothered....

From http://www.partsamerica.com/HelpCenterPartners.aspx
"The PartsAmerica.com Team includes Advance Auto Parts, Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts and CSK Auto, Inc."

You might try one of those other stores, if you have them. They seem to be affiliated.

The PartsAmerica/Advance/CSK relationship seems to be kind of odd, but here's what I've managed to find out.

CSK Auto, Inc. operates all Checker/Schuck's/Kragen stores, is headquarted in Phoenix, Arizona, and is traded on the NYSE as CAO. From that corporate page I linked,
quote:

As of July 31, 2005, we operated 1,142 stores in 19 states under one fully integrated operating format and three brand names:
  • Checker Auto Parts - 425 stores in the Southwestern, Rocky Mountain and Northern Plains states and Hawaii
  • Schuck's Auto Supply - 225 stores in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska
  • Kragen Auto Parts - 484 stores primarily in California

Advance Auto Parts, Inc. is a different company from CSK Auto, based in Roanoke, Virginia and traded on the NYSE as AAP.

PartsAmerica.com is yet a third corporate entity. Created in September 2000, they are the "exclusive on-line presence of two of the largest auto part retailers in America, CSK Auto and Advance Auto Parts." Here's the best description of the relationship that I could find, from here:
quote:

PartsAmerica.com site is operated by CSKAuto, Inc., in conjunction with its exclusive internet partner, Advance Stores Company, Incorporated.

A fairly random Google search turned up this little tidbit:
quote:

PartsAmerica.com is a consortium composed of CSK Auto, a Phoenix-based automotive parts and accessories retailer; Advance Auto Parts, a Roanoke, Va.-based retailer of automotive parts and accessories; and Sequoia Capital Partners, a Silicon Valley venture capital firm.

My own experience in the Kragens out here is that they don't stock quite the same brands that Advance does. For example, I believe Advance's house brand of oil filters are those TotalGrip things made by Purolator, and that they stock Purolator products. You won't find any Puro's in a Kragen around here (which is a shame, IMO). You can buy Purolator filters online through PartsAmerica.com, but the prices are ungodly (around $8 for the Premium Plus, and $13 for a Pure One!).

I've never seen any Texaco coolant in a Kragen, at least not that I recall. Recently I've been specifically looking in a few local Kragens, without success. Once I saw the quite reasonable price on Chevron coolant at the gas stations, I stopped hunting.

The bottom line, I guess, is that Advance and CSK are separate companies, although they've gone in together for an online sales gig.

My local Carquest store sells two different versions of the traditional 'green-snot-o-death' ( and thanks to Ray H on the re-name for the stuff, cracks me up), anti-freeze/coolant made by Pitt-Penn. One for autos and light duty trucks, and one for the heavy duty and off road stuff. They have very good product info sheets at the Pitt-Penn site.

Pep Boys Proline 50/50 antifreeze is a full silicate formula, and is onsale for $1.99/gallon this week.
smile.gif

The local discount store (more like a Sanford and Son junk store) has green Shellzone. I snapped up a couple of gallons a few weeks back @5.49 each. It's new stock, with a bittering agent in it so animals shy away from it. Also, Big Lots is carrying Zerex green 50/50 for 5.00 a gallon. I have 2 gallons of Texaco Cat-EC1 left from a BL spree a year ago... 3.49 a gallon.

There's a store brand green snot antifreeze made by Recochem out of Canada. Recochem stamps their name in the bottoms of their containers.

It's sold by VIP, a local chain, in a black bottle and by hardware stores and even briefly my local NAPA in a yellow bottle named "Turbo Power".

I have been annoyed in shopping for this outdated coolant, as I wanted topoff of the same chemistry in the middle of winter, and did not want to start a flush over to OAT, lest I became interrupted and the flush would have frozen.

Some would argue a flush would not have been necessary, but I wanted the "warm fuzzy" of all the same type in there.

Traditional "Green" high silicate antifreeze.

Peak:
"Peak Antifreeze and Coolant" in a blue jug.
NOT to be confused with "Long Life", also in a blue jug.

Zerex:
White jug, "low silicates"
Information sheet on their website says..
"typical charactoristics"
250 PPM (Parts Per Million) MAX for silicates.
95% (Mass %) for "Antifreeze Glycols
2.3% (Mass %) for "Corrosion Inhibitors"
3% (Mass %) for Water
Color "Distinctive" Green

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back