Prestone extended life in dodge cummins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, it is time to change coolant in my dodge cummins and would like to know if I should use this or what I should use.
TIA

I have a Cummins myself and I think you are best off staying with what dodge uses i.e. mopar pink which is the same as motorcraft gold and Xerex G05

Sorry. I don't have much expertise in this area,I just gave you my opinion. OAT protection takes time to build up, in the meantime the silicates in GO5 will keep the aluminium components protected.

Are you talking about the "Heavy Duty" Prestone antifreeze that is charged? Or are you talking about the regular yellow bottle stuff for all engines? If you have a diesel, then you will want a "charged" formula so you don't get piston slap (I think it's piston slap).

I use Zerex G05 for my 7.3L Diesel Navistar. Good stuff.

Cavitation, not "piston slap". Piston slap is a purely mechanical situation most often associated with undersize pistons or pistons with too little skirt area. Cavitation occurs in liquids when churned rapidly. The resulting pressure bubbles will erode metal parts over time - such as ship's propellers, water pump impellers, or engine wet sleeves commonly found in medium and heavy duty diesel engines.

What is a "charged" formula?

Ray H,
Thanks for explaining cavitation but I do have a question about that - how exactly do bubbbles wear down metal?

At one time, the coolants for heavy duty trucks had to be 'charged' with SCA (supplemental coolant additive) when you filled up the cooling system. Now these coolants come precharged with these additives (mainly for cavitation protection). You still have to periodically test the additive levels, usually with test strips, and add SCA when the levels are low. The precharged coolants are now designated 'fully formulated'

The coolant I got was the extended life made for all engines. Should I be looking at something else and if so what? I want to find something that is easy to find too.
Thank's in advance

The Prestone Extended Life is, from what I have learned at this forum, a Dexcool clone and is ok to use in your engine because your Cummins is not wet-sleeved. I service a 1997 GM diesel van and it has always had Dexcool in it and so far, after 200000 miles, there has been no cooling system problems. Diesel engines with wet sleeves will need nitrites, which G05 has and Dexcool doesn't. I sense that you are keen on switching over to a OAT coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back