Does my Jeep need G-05 or no? Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched but not much info found.

Ok, 2001 Jeep 4.0L Grand Cherokee. 82k miles. It's time for coolant replacement/flush. Just got it about 3 months ago and it has the green stuff, was last changed at 51k. It doesn't look bad but I believe in sticking to schedules so it's time..

Now, the information I can find says:
--------------------------------------------
The recommended mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and low mineral content water. Never use pure antifreeze. Only Mopar Antifreeze Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water.

Antifreeze mixture must always be at least 44%, all climates year round. Maximum protection (-90d) is provided with a 68% mixture protection. If the percentage is lower than 44 percent, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system components may be severely damaged by corrosion.

CAUTION: Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified (non-HOAT or other HOAT), may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion protection.

--------------

This being said, the vehicle has had 2 changes , at 30k and again at 51k. Both times plain green was used.

Now, the coolant looks bright green, no oil present, etc.. Should I spring for either a G-05 flush at a Jiffy Boob type place, do it myself with plain green premix from walmart, or get the specified brew from the Jeep dealer? If I do it myself, I know I'll have to drain and replace a couple of times since I can't get the block drain plug out and the system holds about 15qts.

If she were yours, would you: plain green premix like it has been having (done myself), or G-05 flush with a machine, or home replacement with g-05 in my driveway?

I know the least critical would be myself doing it with plain green since it would not be super critical that I get ALL the old out since I'd be replacing with like stuff. I still plan to swap every 30k regardless.

Any tips are appreciated!

DaimlerChrysler "Mopar" HOAT antifreeze IS a G-05 antifreeze/coolant. The presence of reduced silicate levels along with organic acid salts is what constitutes a Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolant. But Mopar's differs from Zerex G-05 in being dyed ORANGE. (The fact that you currently have green coolant suggests to me that it's conventional level silicated green snot of death.) I would suggest a complete repeated flush with distilled water enough times to reach water white clear drains - it could take awhile what with idling until the thermostat opens between drains and refills. Be sure to set the heat control valve to the HOT position to insure that the heater core is fully flushed, too. On the final drain, remove the engine block drain plug to drain as fully as possible. Once you're ready to refill with fresh antifreeze concentrate*, Zerex G-05 will be perfectly fine, though it's not dyed orange. It'll also be considerably less costly than stealership prices. Zerex G-05 is referred to as colorless by many, but that's not strictly true - there is a very light amber tint to aid determining the level in the overflow tank. Zerex went that route so that if their G-05 was used to top-up Chrysler or Ford products, the original factory fill color would be more easily identified. Except for the dye color difference, Zerex G-05 is fully equivalent to the original Mopar HOAT coolant (and Ford's current coolant, too). It contains exactly the SAME chemistry - reduced silicate level, NO phosphates, and a hydrated organic acid salt as its OAT corrosion inhibitor (sodium benzoate, I believe).

*50/50 pre-mix is for top-up, not a total changeout. There's inevitably some quantity of water left in the block - even if you do remove the block's drain plug. For that reason ALWAYS use antifreeze/coolant concentrate so YOU can control the final ratio of dilution.

Ray H:

I'm going to be doing the same flush and refill G05)in my 97 Ford. Can I leave the thermostat in? I was going to remove it for the flush, but it's a pain to get out, and it's only a year old.

Thanks for the information

Wow. Just called my dealer.. 14.53 for a gallon of mopar ms-9769 HOAT (orange)..

Time to check AZ and Oreilly for their g-05. 10.85 per gallon there.

May just do the 5/150 green from Supertech, and change every two years, any real harm in going that route if I flush well before filling with this?

I thought genuine Nissan at 11.50 was high.

[ January 24, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: mh2800 ]

in my area all the green stuff is now extended life stuff, the old style green stuff is long gone.

quote:

Originally posted by Roadking:
Ray H:

I'm going to be doing the same flush and refill G05)in my 97 Ford. Can I leave the thermostat in? I was going to remove it for the flush, but it's a pain to get out, and it's only a year old.

Thanks for the information

Yeah, you can leave the thermostat in. The advantage to removing it is, a> gives you a chance to inspect it and replace if necessary, and b> speeds the flushing process considerably since you don't have to stand around waiting for the engine to heat up so the thermostat opens. In my case I took a chance and left the thermostat in. No problems, but then my engine's never shown any tendency to overheat or come up to operating temperature slowly anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by mh2800:
May just do the 5/150 green from Supertech, and change every two years, any real harm in going that route if I flush well before filling with this?

I just used the ST Extended Life antifreeze/coolant concentrate (blue jug) in my Sonata in September. Like you, I figure it should be good for at least two years. It hasn't darkened or clouded in the overflow bottle, and the visible core elements looking down with the radiator cap off are still bright and clean at my weekly checks if that helps.

Well, I had time to actually swing by the Jeep dealer today. They offered me the G-05 Mopar stuff (ms-9769) for 11.15 per gallon (versus 14.xx over the phone). The clear Zerex stuff at Oreilly is 10.8something per gallon.

I'm going to check Walmart tonight on their pricing on the 5/150 green and see how it all shakes out.

Replaced the rad on my 01 TJ a while back due to the top tank seal starting to leak.Did not want trouble during the winter months.Also replaced all hoses and even the belt to boot,have around 60,000 miles on it.I used the new "Prestone all-makes extened life" fluid to do my drain and fill and everything is great.The only thing I changed, due to the advice on a Jeep chat-line,was to use a 16lb. cap instead of the OEM 18lb. cap.The reasoning behind this was that the heavier pressure was splitting MANY TJ rads (not a few,but MANY)and 16 even 14 was doing the job just as well with-out straining the system with extra pressure (my Cherokee's only 15 lbs.)So far
burnout.gif

[ January 24, 2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Greaser ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

I just used the ST Extended Life antifreeze/coolant concentrate (blue jug) in my Sonata in September. Like you, I figure it should be good for at least two years. It hasn't darkened or clouded in the overflow bottle, and the visible core elements looking down with the radiator cap off are still bright and clean at my weekly checks if that helps.

One thing I was wondering if I went with this 5/150 Supertech green concentrate; if there is any of the green snot left after flushing, the ST should be compatible with it, correct?

The main thing I have some trouble with, is getting the correct ratio considering the leftover water in the block. The block drain plug IS NOT coming out.
frown.gif

quote:

The main thing I have some trouble with, is getting the correct ratio considering the leftover water in the block. The block drain plug IS NOT coming out.

If you know the total capacity then divide it in half for a 50/50 mix. Now after flushing DO NOT mix the antifreeze/water. Add your 50% straight antifreze to the radiator. It'll mix with the leftover water. Now top off with distilled water and you got your 50/50 concentration.

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:

quote:

If you know the total capacity then divide it in half for a 50/50 mix. Now after flushing DO NOT mix the antifreeze/water. Add your 50% straight antifreze to the radiator. It'll mix with the leftover water. Now top off with distilled water and you got your 50/50 concentration.

ok, it is a 15qt capacity. About 5 qt comes out. That's the problem, as 50/50 isn't possible to figure like that.
frown.gif

quote:

15qt capacity. About 5 qt comes out.

I try to do this by keeping track of the amount of antifreeze that is in there.

In this example, whatever you drain out now will be 1/3 antifreeze.

If you drain another 3-3/4 quarts of the mixture, that will be 1-1/4 quarts of your new antifreeze, leaving in the system (from the 5 quarts you put in) 3-3/4 quarts.

(I'm not showing all the steps, in the interest of time.)

You can then replace the mixture you drained with 3-3/4 quarts of new antifreeze to end up with 7-1/2 qts.in there, the 50% mixture needed.

quote:

The clear Zerex stuff at Oreilly is 10.8something per gallon.

h-m-m-m..
O'Reilly here hasn't had the G-05 since they got the "universal" Prestone. And that was the only place I'd ever found it; not at Autozone or Advance. Others here said NAPA was closing it out also.
They said they dropped it. I may check with them again. But if that is all the difference from buying at the dealer, may not be worth much trouble.

yea Oreilly Zerex G-05 (they still had a few bottles left), was like 10.something with tax, and genuine mopar 5/150k ms-9769 g-05 was 11.83. I had gotten two blue bottles from walmart for 8.47 per bottle (OW!, not even premixed for that price), but decided on the way home to get the Mopar stuff at the dealer. Excercised my discount and got it, bought about 10 jugs of distilled at the walmart (when I took the other back), and 3 hrs later I have a nice cleaner system full of g-05 FWIW.

thanks for all the opinions
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back