How cold can 70/30 coolant mix get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some recommendations in another thread to help my pinging problem, I think I'm going to mix some 70/30 water/antifreez for my Cherokee. I might use some water wetter too. It won't be freezing again here until October, but I'm likely to forget that I have this mix in there when the time comes. What would the freezing point be of 70/30 mix?

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
After some recommendations in another thread to help my pinging problem, I think I'm going to mix some 70/30 water/antifreez for my Cherokee. I might use some water wetter too. It won't be freezing again here until October, but I'm likely to forget that I have this mix in there when the time comes. What would the freezing point be of 70/30 mix?

Well, a mix of 40% antifreeze and 60% water provides freeze-up protection down to -10F and boil over protection up to 259°F.

I don't understand though...how much of a difference is it really gonna make?

I mean, say you're starting with a clean cooling system, is there really gonna be a big difference between using a top-quality 50/50 mix vs. a 70/30 mix?

Why not just run distilled water and WaterWetter for the "hot" months?

What's the O.E. thermostat setting and what do you have in there now?

Is there a lower temp stat available?

[ May 09, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

i believe that your thermostat will make up for the higher cooling efficency. for example if your truck normally runs at 190* then it will probably continue to run at 190* until it is under a greater load, then it may take a bit more time before it gets hotter. i don't think it will help your pinging, but it's cheap and worth a try.

[ May 09, 2004, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: tom slick ]

Hopefully it'll make a couple of degrees difference.

How many people here run only distilled water and water wetter? I'd like to know if it protects at all?

My thermostat is 195 degree, but it allways runs at about 210, so any upgrades to the cooling system will actually make it run cooler. Even in the middle of winter 20 degree temps are extremely rare around here, teens only every couple of years, and below that once a century. I'm thinking about running this mix year round...

it will be interesting to see what happens, i have thought of using the 70/30 mix also since my weather is extremely moderate (boring). is your temp sensor at the thermostat housing?

I am not familiar with WaterWetter, but think you would lose some boilover protection with just it and water... also distilled water with WW may be more corrosive. Don't understand how 70/30 mix is supposed to help cool, I would expect it to be worse, though protect to lower temp and higher boiling point. 100% antifreeze will freeze at a higher temp, like 20F I think. Memory fails me.

quote:

Originally posted by John K:
I am not familiar with WaterWetter, but think you would lose some boilover protection with just it and water... also distilled water with WW may be more corrosive. Don't understand how 70/30 mix is supposed to help cool, I would expect it to be worse, though protect to lower temp and higher boiling point. 100% antifreeze will freeze at a higher temp, like 20F I think. Memory fails me.

http://redlineoil.com/whitePaper/17.pdf

quote:

Originally posted by John K:

With more water it will cool better. Antifreeze is actually bad for cooling - the best would be straight water. Boiling isn't an issue even with straight water, the system is under pressure and if the engine is 212 degrees or hotter you've got a problem anyway...

there is a chart here:
http://www.widman.biz/Seleccion/Refrigeracion/refrigeracion.html
But I don't believe that is the way to go, nor would I ever recommend straight water because of the corrosion and caviation. If you want better cooling, change out your old fluid, use a good cleaner and rinse, and put in one of the new formulations like Delo Extended Life or Dex-Cool that only acts as a corrosion inhibitor/insulator in areas with cathodic reactions (you will see some pictures of this on the page mentions, even though text is spanish) . You get 8% better heat transfer with these fluids.

I tried using 20% coolant, 12oz Redline Waterwetter and 8oz RMI25. All work well for about 5k miles and radiator seem to cool off faster than normal. Then there was coolant leak from the gasket, I don't know if was from the Redline WW or what casue the gasket to leak. When I went back to 50/50, the leak stop but have no idea why it leaked or why it stopped leaking.

Also it did stop the pinging which is why I tried it. I've heard others say Redline WW causes gasket leaks but can't say for sure it does.

I run 70/30 in the summer months, and 50/50 in the winter months. Ive I loved up north though I'd run 50/50 year round.

I just do it because I'm in FL and I like my car to run 160F on the highway :-D (Yes I changed the thermo).

Over the years, I have become convinced that running without enough antifreeze, causes the seals in the waterpump to fail. That is one of the jobs antifreeze has. Unless I lived in the coldest states in the union, I would go with the xperts and use 50/50.

I think someone may have mentioned this but less glycol means less boil protection.

30% glycol = 217F boil point
40% glycol = 220F boil point
50% glycol = 225F boil point

It is true that glycol does not cool as well as water but you need the boil and corrosion protection. Remember some surfaces in the engine get very hot, much higher that 212F. If the surface gets above the boiling point bubbles form and where there are bubbles there is no coolant. This may occur on the microscope level but believe me it is significant.

The pressure in the system also raises the boiling point another 3 degrees per psi but that isn't always enough so the minimum recommended glycol is 40%

Stinky

I ran RMI-25, RWW, and straight distilled water over the course of most of last year until winter forced me to put in 25% Toyota Red to protect against freezing. Worked great as does the lower concentration of anti-frezze. Not sure how good the WW is at protecting against corrosion, but the RMI-25 takes care of that as well as flushing the system.

If you go below 40% coolant you run the risk of engine problems. Over 60% coolant and the same happens.

If you are going to run Water Wetter, use at least 15% anti-freeze in street vehicles.

If you are going to use WW and water only, 1 ounce per qrt. or, 1 bottle for a 12-20 qrt. cooling system. (only recommended for race vehicles).

50% Glycol/50% Water = 228*F
50/50 + Water Wetter = 220*F
Water Only = 220*F
Water + Water Wetter = 202*F

Play it safe and go with 50/50 year-round. If you have pinging problems it's something other than your glycol concentration; solve that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back