Anyone tried Royal Purple's Purple Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Purple says Purple Ice will work with Dexcool & is fine for imports such as my Honda Accord. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Sounds like a Prince song. =)

What are you trying to accomplish? Just keep everything in there clean? Change your coolant often and you shouldn't have a problem.

I suppose if I were racing and running straight water I'd use it. But $12 for some purple stuff to pour into your coolant to keep it clean and lubricated? Why do you think we have coolant in the first place?

I believe the Redline Water Wetter is the same product only dyed a different color. He used to work for Redline and now with Royal Purple..the same product.

I also have a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT that has not had the coolant flushed like it should have been. Dex-cool is not friendly to this non-maintenance practice.

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:
But $12 for some purple stuff to pour into your coolant to keep it clean and lubricated? Why do you think we have coolant in the first place?

With all due respect, you've missed the point of these products. Their main purpose is to reduce the surface tension of the coolant. This affects how bubbles form on the hot surfaces in the cooling passages (smaller bubbles form). The result is supposed to be more efficient heat transfer than with the standard coolant because of less of a "bubble blanket" effect than with coolant alone. Now whether there's much real world benefit, that's a different question, but this is not just some "super cleaner" potion.

=========================================

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
I also have a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT that has not had the coolant flushed like it should have been. Dex-cool is not friendly to this non-maintenance practice.

Yes, that's very bad. A tech at the Buick dealer I used to frequent (when I tried a Regal GS, and found myself regularly in the svc dept...) actually called the stuff "Rustcool"! Not a good sign. Change it early and often.

==========================================

quote:

Originally posted by Mamala Bay:
I believe the Redline Water Wetter is the same product only dyed a different color. He used to work for Redline and now with Royal Purple..the same product.

They may be similar, but I don't think they're the same. I tried RL-WW in the Toyota Red in my Camry, and it quickly created a creamy looking sludge like stuff all over the place. What a mess! Not being smart enough to know when to stop, I decided to try the RP-PI, and surprise, it mixed fine with my post-flush fill of Toyota Red, and had been fine for over 30k miles.

I am using schaeffer's clean and cool (same principle) and I have noticed, that my coolant temp seems to raise a bit quicker in the winter time. I can't really say that my temps are any lower though............oh well....it supposedly keeps the pump seals lubricated.
smile.gif

it seems like water wetter and similar products use alkaline chemicals, which doesn't seem like a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back