Any G-11 or G-05 users? please check in

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 99 Chrysler 300M came factory filled with G-05. I just changed it out last month with 54,000 miles and 5 years on it. Coolant tank was clean with no sediment in it, just stained a little from the orange dye which Chrysler specified to be added by the maker (BASF). I think this was a BIG mistake because it made the factory fill G-05 look too much like DexCool which you DO NOT want to mix with G-05. The Zerez G-05 that I used (50/50 mix with distilled water) is almost clear, with a slight yellow tint to it. It's darn near impossible to see in the tank, but you sure won't mistake it for any other coolant.

My 1999 BMW comes factory filled with G-11. G-11 is Volkswagens designation for the Glysantin G-48 (blue in color).

I change the coolant every four years and at the four year mark my BMW cooling system looked as good as new.

[ March 29, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

Zerex G-05 is in the ZX-11 and will soon be in both Mercedes & the SVX (radiator replacement).
Sure is hard to read the level in the reservoir of the Kaw in almost any lighting! Been using the old Q-Tip/pipe cleaner trick: doesn't seem to use a drop.

I had just flushed & changed the green coolant on all three autos when I 1st heard of this product. I buy it (never seems to go "on sale") when there is a "25% off any @ regular priced items in the store coupon", and have accumulated enough to do all the cars.

The recyle guys will think I opened a radiator shop by the time I get done!
rolleyes.gif

Purchased a VW with factory fill G-11 (G-48) in early 1997 and have changed the coolant every two years. 7 years and over 125k miles later, the inside of the cooling system looks like new. If this is factory fill, just keep it changed. Who knows about changing to it, I know it doesn't mix well with anything but the classic green kind.

I had G11 in my 1997 VW Passat for 72K miles with no problems and I just made the switch to Zerex G05 in my 1997 SAAB 9000CSE Turbo. The G05 is almost clear and very hard to read on my yellow expansion tank. From what I read G05 is the best of the best and unverisal in all but Dexcool.

[ May 14, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:
G-05 is still not totally silicate free is it? But it has way less silicates than prestone green, right?

G-05 is a low silicate formula. DexCool is a NO silicate formula. Conventional green has more silicate than G-05.

The earlier G-05 was clear. Current G-05 is more yellow in color but still a very bright yellow. It is kinda funny looking into a cooling system and seeing it clear or a slight yellow color. The fast lube guys say it water in there. John

My 1992 VW with 1.6 litre diesel specs G-11 on the coolant tank. That probably lasted 125K km when the first head gasket blew (Car had green antifreeze when I bought it). Car currently has 390K km on it with origional rad but new coolant tank and hoses over the years.

These engines put a fair amount of oil into the coolant during headgasket leaks and you can't get it out but it doesn't appear to be a problem. The oil sticks to the insides of the hoses and will not come out during a flush. I am currently using Canadian Tire Diesel coolant because it does not have phosphate (VW spec), has the diesel charge in it, and it is cheap.

One problem VW engines have is that the plastic coolant flanges get eaten by the coolant over about 300K km. They are cheap and do not fail dramatically so I guess it is okay. Maybe this is an indication that it is really just rebadged DEXCOOL? bwahahahaha, time to sue!
rolleyes.gif

Cheer, Steve

Has anyone done a spectro analysis of G-05? I'd like to know what elements it might put in the oil, in the case of a head gasket leak.

I received a response from Ashland regarding zerex g-05, saying the ingredients are proprietory, but that it may contain sodium postassium ,water, moly, glycol, or etc.

I wonder if there's a test for "etc." that would show the presence of g-05 in my oil.

smile.gif

The message did not mention boron, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back